Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Carbon Fiber Splitters on Evilbay

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 02:34 PM
gjoey66
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe we could do a group buy on both. If we buy a certain number of splitters, regardless of material, we get an X% discount. I want the look of raw carbon fiber, but am worried about repairability (is that a word?). Would the carbon fiber be less likely to need repairs due to greater strength
Carbon fiber is stiffer and will take a hit slightly better...but if you run into something...they're both as likely to crack...remember though...Carbonfiber or fiberglass is just the fiber...you can autoclave either or just wet lay...Vartum...many ways to lay either...that depends on the matrix (or resin) you use. if you do have to repair the carbon...you will then need to paint it because the fibers won't look continuously woven as it does when it's new...i've seen some really good reworks but typically if you're fixing it in your garage...you'll need to paint...oh and remember...you can always just repair with fiberglass...carbon doesn't need carbon for repairs...this isn't a highly loaded piece of structure...
Old 09-12-2007, 03:27 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

actually neither fiberglass or carbonfiber is good for takeing hits... however kevlar! is, it's very "soft" and be bend without blowing up like carbonfiber.

havent tried thoose biaxial carbonfiber/kevlar weaves, perhaps they are good? at least you get some cool colors.

btw, I paint all my stuff... will also paint the CF

first mold of hood, will join nose/hood with vents for a final mold when I get the time.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:33 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anders44
Actually neither fiberglass or carbonfiber is good for takeing hits... however kevlar! is, it's very "soft" and be bend without blowing up like carbonfiber.
That's true Anders, and nice work. You are a dedicated man!

Old 09-12-2007, 05:27 PM
daigo
Burning Brakes

Does anyone know what the new COT NASCARs are using for the splitter material. Apparently in was designrd to take a lot of abuse and to be very inexpensive.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Splitters on Evilbay