Oil change results in engine tick?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 05:30 PM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toddk911
I have also heard that more noticeable ticking is a sign of exhaust leaks in the headers/crossover???
That can do it, too. Had an exhaust stud back itself out of the block on my truck - knew it happened when I heard the tick.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:29 PM
nodestination1
Instructor

update - the noise sounds like it's coming from the injectors... but i remember reading somewhere that when you rev the engine, the injector tick is drowned out by the noise of the motor. does the injector tick increase in speed and volume as the engine is reved? when i rev the motor, the ticking noise starts going crazy. I tried taking a video, but the sound quality is terrible.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:45 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by nodestination1
update - the noise sounds like it's coming from the injectors... but i remember reading somewhere that when you rev the engine, the injector tick is drowned out by the noise of the motor. does the injector tick increase in speed and volume as the engine is reved? when i rev the motor, the ticking noise starts going crazy. I tried taking a video, but the sound quality is terrible.
Yes, the injector tick will get more frequent with increased revs. Almost identical to valves and lifters, unfortunately.

Did I mention that it is typically normal for a Porsche owner to freak out about something like this?
Old 08-28-2007, 12:53 AM
myskyon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
20w/50 is fine for all but virtually Arctic conditions. Check the manual that comes with the car.
the owners manual says to use only Porsche approved oil. and i have yet to see any with grades higher than 0w40- 5w50. so i would guess that 20w50 is not recomended. just what i have been searching up. i know a lot of people run it with no problems. but i have been researching and have switched to 0w40 in my car and noticed a little bit of differances like easyer starting oil pressure within spec of the owners manual. befor when i was running 20w50 i would only get 5 bar at anything over idle and with 15w40 it was a litlle closer to where it should be but now it is spot on where it supposed to be and i dont burn any oil ether. but it is still too early to tell about burning oil (leaking is included).
Old 08-28-2007, 01:50 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by myskyon
the owners manual says to use only Porsche approved oil. and i have yet to see any with grades higher than 0w40- 5w50. so i would guess that 20w50 is not recomended. just what i have been searching up. i know a lot of people run it with no problems. but i have been researching and have switched to 0w40 in my car and noticed a little bit of differances like easyer starting oil pressure within spec of the owners manual. befor when i was running 20w50 i would only get 5 bar at anything over idle and with 15w40 it was a litlle closer to where it should be but now it is spot on where it supposed to be and i dont burn any oil ether. but it is still too early to tell about burning oil (leaking is included).
Here we go again(from the other board), the manual says 20W-50, at least for my climate. Too many people have been using 20W-50 for years with great results. To say that it's not recommended is bogus. The Porsche approved list of oils does include Mobile 1 5W-50 but I will stick to what has worked for me and many others. Porsche did not test every oil as you well know, including Amsoil, Redline, or Valvoline products. Check around the tracks and see if even one racer is using the Euro Mobil 1 0W-40 on a car they flog in the Summer, I doubt it very seriously.
You only get 5-bar above idle w/ 20W-50? What are you looking for, something off the gauge?
Old 08-28-2007, 02:04 AM
nodestination1
Instructor

I did the poor man's stethescope trick, and put a screwdriver to the injectors. it seems like they're making the noise. but my god are they loud! you can hear them through the hood with it closed, and when i drive next to fences. Is there a way to quiet them down? or are they on their way out?

Yes, i've been freaking out about a lot of noises lately.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:07 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 107 Posts

I did the poor man's stethescope trick, and put a screwdriver to the injectors. it seems like they're making the noise. but my god are they loud! you can hear them through the hood with it closed, and when i drive next to fences. Is there a way to quiet them down? or are they on their way out?

Yes, i've been freaking out about a lot of noises lately.
Have you ever had them serviced? A trip to Witchhunter works miracles for noisy injectors.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:04 PM
nodestination1
Instructor

i like the witchhunter idea.... and i doubt they've been serviced. Im running some techron through right now, but i dont know if that'll make a difference.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:27 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

BTW how many quarts did you put in?
Old 08-28-2007, 05:54 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

i like the witchhunter idea.... and i doubt they've been serviced. Im running some techron through right now, but i dont know if that'll make a difference.
Techron is good stuff, but BG44K is really good stuff and much stronger. I would not, for example, leave BG44K in your tank for too long while it sits there. Fill her up and run a can through her, while driving as spirited as you can.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:10 PM
nodestination1
Instructor

i want to say i ended up using 7 quarts total, maybe a little more. I started with 6, ran it, and added accordingly. It's JUST BARELY above the top fill line.

where do you get bg44K? never seen it.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:02 PM
95ONE
Race Car

I bet he's just hearing the injectors for the first time.

Quick Reply: Oil change results in engine tick?