Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 03:14 PM
nize
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by special tool
I nominate you.
i second the nomination.

find us a cheap torson/gleason/quaife bolt-on please.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:16 PM
RPHARRIS
Racer

I have to agree with P-file on this one. He has made some very accute observations about the 951s other shortcomings in the past.

Last summer I interned at Griggs Racing. For those who don't know, they build some really increadible Mustangs . I had the chance to work on a lot of 03/04 "Terminator" Cobras and something caught my eye. While everyone aplauded Ford for developing a dedicated IRS on these models, the simple fact is that it did not work for road racing or any kind of racing for that matter. The very first thing we would do to prepare a cobra for competition was to rip out the IRS, sell it on ebay, and install a tried and true stick axel. You would be amazed how well a cambered solid axel with a watts link and torque arm can work with the right geometry. For the front suspension, we had a beatiful SLA setup that bolted in place of the stock K-member. I hope someday someone will design something like that for the 944 because it sure made a world of difference on these mustangs.

I've often considered installing a solid axel on my 944 I think it would actually perform sustantially better than the semi-trailing "froglegs" that some say were never even meant to go an a rwd car. Obviously I would need to ditch the transaxle but hey, perfect chance to put in a beefier tranny.

What I'm starting to think is that 951 development is kind of stagnant at the moment. There aren't too many fresh ideas being put to the test around here. We could use more people like P-file. He questions why we all settle for doing things a certain way. I think we should all be so willing to step back from the 951 world and take a look at what others are doing.

The fact is, these cars are pretty old and band-aid solutions aren't going to keep them competative for much longer. They could really use some re-thinking and re-engineering in certain areas and unless we are willing to consider radical ideas, we're just a bunch of pompous dudes with a strange interest in old porsches (that "don't look like Porsches" as my friends often put it).
Old 06-19-2007, 03:21 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lart951
I was 16 years old when that data was collected.
What times have you run in your car in the 1/4?
Old 06-19-2007, 03:27 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LUISJR993
Mark my words. Neither car will trap at 130 or be in the low 11's.
Be safe guys. Post up the vids.
This should be fun!

So just so we are clear, Luis - this is your prediction?
Do you want to make it more exact?
Old 06-19-2007, 03:30 PM
2bridges
Drifting

"What I'm starting to think is that 951 development is kind of stagnant at the moment. There aren't too many fresh ideas being put to the test around here. We could use more people like P-file. He questions why we all settle for doing things a certain way. I think we should all be so willing to step back from the 951 world and take a look at what others are doing.

The fact is, these cars are pretty old and band-aid solutions aren't going to keep them competative for much longer. They could really use some re-thinking and re-engineering in certain areas and unless we are willing to consider radical ideas, we're just a bunch of pompous dudes with a strange interest in old porsches (that "don't look like Porsches" as my friends often put it)."

there is this thing called economics. The reason a bolt in solution is able to be developed for a current model mustang is because it is a current model mustang and there are a zillion on them. For a car that has not been produced in 16 years and was a semi-exotic (very low production compared to mustang) there is no profit margin to engineer "cutting edge" parts and technology in a 20 year old platform.

No rocket science here, just fact. If you step up with your time effort energy and fund the R&D to develop you will be a hero here........ you will also be flat broke, I say you do it for the good of the rest
Old 06-19-2007, 04:14 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

I'm on your side ST! No matter how anyone looks at it, regardless of a slow start off the line or tire spin, once the thing does hook, some 600 odd whp in a sub 3000lb car is still going to produce 130+mph times. I mean, someone would really have to try hard to NOT accomplish that! Let me say that again, SIX HUNDRED PLUS HORSEPOWER IN A LESS THAN 3000 POUND CAR! Things like traction loss, bogging the launch, etc will have much more of a negative effect on the ET, however mph is generally much more consistent.

I did quite a bit of research into various transaxle options in the past. About the cheapest alternative I could find is a Mendeola VW transaxle: Link The cool thing about those is they have the option for strong 935 axles, or even axles made from the 300M alloy which are very strong as well. Most other brands like Quaife that make any transaxles seem to all be more like $14-18k.
Other than that, I think the overall cheapest route would be a 911 G50 gearbox which are capable of holding a ton of power and actually might not require too much custom work to fit (that's my speculation anyways). Lets be entirely honest with ourselves though. I love these cars as much as anyone here, however spending $10-18k on just a gearbox, another $15k+ on a motor, etc etc really just isn't feasible or realistic for most of us considering most of our 951's are street cars or see mixed usage (dedicated track stuff is a whole other story). These cars are great and all but, ultimately they are a relatively conventional 4 cylinder sports car, not a 911 or some other "different" car that should understandably be more expensive. I completely understand the supply versus demand argument, however there are always inexpensive ways around problems like this. I just always "whine" and try to point out problems or potential solutions in the hopes that someone else will solve them because I'm just a lazy b@astard and have no patience to do it myself!
Old 06-19-2007, 04:44 PM
Tms951
Pro

Originally Posted by Porschefile
I'm on your side ST! No matter how anyone looks at it, regardless of a slow start off the line or tire spin, once the thing does hook, some 600 odd whp in a sub 3000lb car is still going to produce 130+mph times. I mean, someone would really have to try hard to NOT accomplish that! Let me say that again, SIX HUNDRED PLUS HORSEPOWER IN A LESS THAN 3000 POUND CAR! Things like traction loss, bogging the launch, etc will have much more of a negative effect on the ET, however mph is generally much more consistent.
I agrre with this, and since Special Tool says he did 0-60 is almost 3 seconds it does not sound like he has any traction problems. Based on his claims of launch controle/anti lag, 0-60 time, HP and weight. He should do very well. Like very low 11sec E.T. and 130+mph trap. THIS IS NOT MY PREDICTION, it is what i think should should happen based on his claims, but you would have to believe all of his claims to think this is what is going to happen. To prove his HP cliams he should trap above 130mph, who cares what the E.T. is. To claim an "almost" 3 second 0-60mph traction can not be an issue.

Last edited by Tms951; 06-19-2007 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:57 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by LUISJR993
What times have you run in your car in the 1/4?
1/4 mile times none. Just some videos of my chipped 951, w/ 218 rwhp & 230rwtq.

I did a run today 0-120 taking off normally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fSYnmLGb10

also 80-120run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csGme94RKIg
Old 06-19-2007, 05:20 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lart951
1/4 mile times none. Just some videos of my chipped 951, w/ 218 rwhp & 230rwtq.

I did a run today 0-120 taking off normally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fSYnmLGb10

also 80-120run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csGme94RKIg
LOL
Old 06-19-2007, 06:01 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Nope, that sounds about right.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:20 PM
RPHARRIS
Racer

2 bridges, I see your point, but let me also say that the GR-40 suspension was designed entirely by one man who certainly wasn't in it to make a profit. From what I gather, he was trying to gain a competitive edge for his cars in the NASA American Iron series. What I'm trying to say is that I don't think it necessarily takes a team of profit motivated engineers to develop innovative solutions.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:30 PM
blitz951
Pro

I saw a time slip of 11.2 at 134 but dont know anything about the car except that it was a 3 liter and must have been extensively modified.
Kurt who used to post on this board ran a 11.6 at 132 on street tires (phone dial rims) at 16 psi. This was a Miledge 3.1 liter with motec...
If a 944 turbo really makes 500 rwhp it will easily make 11 sec pass at well over 130 mph and if it can make a good 60 foot time it can be in the 10's.
The problem is that I dont think the cars in the contest are really making the numbers quoted, 500 + rwhp? I would guess these cars will run in the 12's under 120 mph.
I hope to be proven wrong and if the race does take place good luck to both of you.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:34 PM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by blitz951
I saw a time slip of 11.2 at 134 but dont know anything about the car except that it was a 3 liter and must have been extensively modified.
Kurt who used to post on this board ran a 11.6 at 132 on street tires (phone dial rims) at 16 psi. This was a Miledge 3.1 liter with motec...
If a 944 turbo really makes 500 rwhp it will easily make 11 sec pass at well over 130 mph and if it can make a good 60 foot time it can be in the 10's.
The problem is that I dont think the cars in the contest are really making the numbers quoted, 500 + rwhp? I would guess these cars will run in the 12's under 120 mph.
I hope to be proven wrong and if the race does take place good luck to both of you.

We both have multiple CHASSIS dyno printouts, of course.
We don't talk out our asses on the 951 forum, we leave that for the 928 guys.

Joke, guys, joke.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:41 PM
nitehawk951
Rennlist Member

When is the race?
Old 06-19-2007, 06:42 PM
special tool
Banned

7/11
PM