Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Windshield fluid tank removal? Now engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 02:24 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

I had a Little Victory today. All I can say is I got the engine out and on a stand....working alone was very interesting to say the least. I was surprised how far forward I had to pull the motor to clear the bellhousing but it never hit the AC condensor. It was actually sorta fun to figure it out. I ended up having to drop the engine with the entire cat section, but the PS and X-member was pulled first. Dropping mine the after turbo exhaust was hitting a tight spot unless I used a load leveler to shift it. I yanked on motors before but this one takes the prize. I feel like an idiot; I didn't know the bolt at the steering rack/shaft had to be removed completely and not just loosened, I kept saying WTF after attacking it with my full arsenal of prying devices. My bad...slotted shaft I have most of the crap off the motor already and bagged. Tomorrow the pressure washer, it was a real greaser. Flywheel is really bad with furrowing that look like speedbumps. Clutch and PP are circa 92 with the small spring disc. Looks like I'll be looking for a good clutch next. You have to love these cars to do stuff like this.

Back to your regularly programmed beer...that's my plan
Old 06-10-2007, 08:36 AM
951Boost
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
I had a Little Victory today......You have to love these cars to do stuff like this.

Back to your regularly programmed beer...that's my plan
That is indeed good progress, I'll hoist up one of these in your name today.

Keep us posted.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:04 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So did you end up getting the plastic tank out Steve? I was just thinking that since you aren't reusing it you should just heat it up and melt/burn it out.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right on, Steve!

Solo engine drop. It sounds like you had a cherry picker so did it go out the top or the bottom? I like to keep the x-member bolted on and using it as a jack point coming out the bottom, but I can see how it would need to come off going out the top

On a similar note, I am having a real problem getting that steering shaft back on the rack input after my motor install. You have to index the shaft coupler to the input at just the right spline or the bolt wont go back in. Charming eh? That thing is such a bitch: I gave up a week ago and haven't looked at it since - went on to lights, intercooler, interior, ect. . .
Old 06-10-2007, 10:41 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Sheppard
Right on, Steve!

Solo engine drop. It sounds like you had a cherry picker so did it go out the top or the bottom? I like to keep the x-member bolted on and using it as a jack point coming out the bottom, but I can see how it would need to come off going out the top.
I had a cherry picker and came out the bottom. I have the car @ 24" and it wasn't that much work to drop the X-member first and gave me more room to maneuver. Remember I had the exhaust and oil cooler to contend with on the drop. I just put the motor on my creeper and rolled it out. Got it all cleaned up today for teardown (the second engine in 3 weeks). The ceramic on the head looks good probably from running rich on Guru MAP chips. I'm glad I took a lot of pics, there are so many little heat shields and brackets I'm sure I would mess something up. Now to find out which is the better motor for a rebuild. I'm thinking the crank will be boogered up on this one but the other crank is fine. The pressure washer almost makes working on it pleasurable. I can come out after work and not get so greasy. I still haven't gone back to that freaking washer tank. Anyway at least it moving along, slow yes, but moving.

Never said I was neat did I?

Now it's clean enough to disassemble

Quick Reply: Windshield fluid tank removal? Now engine rebuild