Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

2 Post Vs. 4 Post lift..... Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 02:36 PM
BlacknRedGT
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Post Vs. 4 Post lift..... Suggestions?

Anyone using a 2 post of 4 post lift for there 944??? I have found a few good 4 post lifts for about 1800. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions to lift there car besides regular jacks/jack stands.

Any problems with a 2 post lift and these cars??
Old 05-23-2007, 02:51 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4 post lifts are mainly for storage, the suck for trying to work on your car. Get a good 2 post if you do your own work.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:57 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have the ceiling clearance, go for the 2 post without a doubt. If you have a standard sized garage, you will be limited to a 4 post.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:58 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.americasprideonline.com/2...1-.ViewProduct
Old 05-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

2 post asymetrical - or you will be trapped inside your car (the doors can't open far in the nonasymetrical lifts.
When pricing them out becareful about shipping - it can be really expensive.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:40 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Four post lifts do NOT suck when it comes to working on cars! They are a VAST improvement over laying on the ground, working around jack stands. They have the added benefit of giving you additional car storage. I routinely do a TON of work on cars in my garage using a four post lift, and they have all sorts of accessories that you can get to lift the wheels off the platform, so there's no limitation there. I have not yet encountered the job that I couldn't do using my four post. Still, if space is no object and you are looking to ONLY work on a car, I'd suggest the two post asymetrical, as they are a bit more convenient for doing work that requires access to the wheels/brakes, and you aren't as liable to whack your head on it.

Regards,
Old 05-23-2007, 05:38 PM
ApexCars
Pro

I also say 2 post asym. If you are going to drop an engine, tranny, or exhaust, the crossmembers on the 4 post tend to get in the way. Make sure that the $1800 dollar lift is made in USA and that the lifting arms will get under the car the price difference isn't much. I know of a couple of companies that make their lifts here in Fort Worth that will build you a lift for $2000. One will even custom build the lifting arms to your requirements for no extra charge. The other might also but I never asked them.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:02 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

2 post is definately the way to go! Be patient and you should be able to find a good used one for under $1500.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:33 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

As a point of reference, the four post lift works great for doing engine swaps, and pretty much anything else that requires you to get under the car. I did an engine swap in my '84 and everything cleared fine with plenty of room to spare. I've also done tranny removals, exhaust removal, motor mounts, etc etc. using my four post lift and have yet to find a job that the lift kept me from doing. The only time the four post gets inconvenient is when you want to remove tires/wheels, and if you get the jacking plate with your four post lift, its still much easier than jacking from the floor.

Having said that, I agree, two post lifts are better yet for working on cars. They just won't store them as well.

Regards,
Old 05-23-2007, 06:39 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2 post asymmetrical we bout from these people ASEdeals.com it is a bend pak high and wide model. The only issues I have is the lift pads do not go under the car without putting the car on a 2x4. My car is lowered. I also use hockey pucks between the front lift pads and the body, it keeps the pad from hitting anything under the car.
http://www.asedeals.com/two_post_lift_pics3.html this is me with my Chevelle. They advertise free shipping...to a freight terminal. We got it from the freight terminal to the house on a flat bed wrecker for $100. Installation was not bad but get a few friends to help get the lift towers up.
I find 4 posts are good for storage and alignments but a 2 post is really good for all other types of work. Make sure when you order the lift that you get the tall jacks to support the vehicle when pulling motors or transmissions.

And after having a lift, I'm so spoiled.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:20 PM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, the 2 post asymetrical seem the way to go if you work alot on your car.
However, the 4 post are great for storage and routine maintenance stuff and you can still jack up a car while on it up in the air.
Also, 4 post require no site preparation and can be completely mobile...most come with wheels and can be rolled around...no need to bolt into the floor.
Just make sure whatever kind you choose you don't get an import...

Last edited by Slantnose!; 05-23-2007 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:53 PM
BlacknRedGT
Pro

Thanks for the replies everyone... Im limited by the size of a regular garage so I will prob have to go with the 4 post lift. Im guessing I wont be able to stand underneath the car without the car hitting the ceiling???

My house is going through a remodel (maybe I can get the contractor to raise the sheetrock in the garage area a little bit) and I became spoiled after always using the lifts on base as a kid. But Im too old to get on base now which sucks. I was always able to do everything on a 4 post with my eclipse.. just had to use the little extra jack to get to some things and get the wheels off.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:32 AM
turboted
Racer

I've wanted to install a lift in my garage for years...but never had the space. I've learned that really beefy jack stands can be as useful as a lift. And much less expensive. I bought the super-delux-badass stands from Sears - the 12 toners with a lift height of 28 inches. Trust me, with the bottom of the car 28 inches off the ground, you have plenty of room to do just about anything from underneath it. And the car is still low enough that I can work on the top side of the motor without having to lower the car. I've done my HG, oil pan, rod bearings, steering rack, belts, etc., all this way. Oh...but I do reccommend a good creeper if you decide to go this route.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:11 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BlacknRedGT
Thanks for the replies everyone... Im limited by the size of a regular garage so I will prob have to go with the 4 post lift. Im guessing I wont be able to stand underneath the car without the car hitting the ceiling???

My house is going through a remodel (maybe I can get the contractor to raise the sheetrock in the garage area a little bit) and I became spoiled after always using the lifts on base as a kid. But Im too old to get on base now which sucks. I was always able to do everything on a 4 post with my eclipse.. just had to use the little extra jack to get to some things and get the wheels off.
If your car is lowered, it helps...lol!
If you are considering storage or how high you can raise it with your car, just add about 4" to the height of one or two cars.
10' ceilings are the best, but it'll work with much less.
Mine are like 8 1/2' wide.

Quick Reply: 2 Post Vs. 4 Post lift..... Suggestions?