Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

shaving rear sidemarkers

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 07:55 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default shaving rear sidemarkers

Has anybody ever done it? Im thinking of having this done and installing clear tail light lenses where the amber goes. I think it would give it a cleaner look. Maybe someone can photoshop the lenses and shaved markers to give me a better idea what it would look like?
Old 05-22-2007, 08:16 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look great shaved - requires the standard wled in a filler plate and then finish (bodywork).

When/If I end up doing paint on my car front and and rear markers will be history!
Old 05-22-2007, 08:29 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kevincnc and I just did it on our spec car. It's not painted yet but I can post a picture later.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:49 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine are shaved to give it that euro look, but I made the mistake of just fibreglassing it, and not welding it properly. You absolutely MUST weld them shut, otherwise they will crack.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:59 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
Mine are shaved to give it that euro look, but I made the mistake of just fibreglassing it, and not welding it properly. You absolutely MUST weld them shut, otherwise they will crack.
yikes - yes definately not the way to go. if you are doing it yourself here are a few hints.

- fit the filler piece as nice as possible. Spending the time shaping and forming the will save you from having to use a lot of filler (that cracks)

- tack weld patch in place then allow to cool. Slowly work around the patch tacking then cooling with a wet cloth. Taking the time here will keep warpage to a minumum. If you just go ape **** and weld it in it will warp the quarter and take a lot of filler and block sanding to make it look straight again.

all about prep and patience.

Man do I love it shaved

Last edited by 2bridges; 05-23-2007 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:28 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You absolutely MUST weld them shut, otherwise they will crack.
No, No no need for that ! In most cases those welded ones are the worst !

Maybe someone can photoshop the lenses and shaved markers to give me a better idea what it would look like?
No need to photshop; here's a real thing.

This is my friends Pete's shaved US spec 951. Holes are not welded, they are glued ! Work is done by a shop which does a lot of Porsches. Pete also changed back bumber to Euro one. This is old picture, for example those wheels were under only this car show. Pete's car was painted several years ago and it still looks like just painted. Also glued sidemarker holes are just perfect! no cracks. Ask your local paint shop of the possibilty to glue some sheetmetal to holes. car factories use this technique a lot nowadays.
Notice also shaved trunk key hole and clear rear blinger lenses.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:14 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Man, I totally need some "clear rear blinger lenses!" That would complete my rice conversion!
Where do I get them?
Old 05-23-2007, 05:47 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cpt_koolbeenz
Man, I totally need some "clear rear blinger lenses!" That would complete my rice conversion!
Where do I get them?
If you can wait a little bit for them to come in stock try http://www.marketworks.com/StoreFron...spx?sfid=78036, if not then try http://www.turnclear.com/start.html

Olli, I have to ask, why did he go through all the trouble of shaving the rear markers and then keeping the front ones?
Old 05-23-2007, 07:41 AM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by billthe3
Why did he go through all the trouble of shaving the rear markers and then keeping the front ones?
I didn't find suitable ( price or condition ) euro bumper cover and filling those holes wasn't guaranteed to be successful like rear ones.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:53 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pete95zhn
I didn't find suitable ( price or condition ) euro bumper cover and filling those holes wasn't guaranteed to be successful like rear ones.
Yep. the front nose is really flexible. It would be a fairly even wager that this area would crack the first time the front end even got the most mild tap. The rears are isolated from the bumper and it's shocks and is all sheet metal.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:06 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually guys: in addition to the rears, I have fibreglassed the front sidemarkers out, and they have not cracked at all. They key is to use a thin layer of fibreglass which can flex with the bumper, and sand it as flush as possible, and then use a THIN layer of flexible polyurethane filler to smooth out the top layer.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:42 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What brand of filler did you use, Rich?

Quick Reply: shaving rear sidemarkers