Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My Saikou Michi catch can install UPDATED PICS with correct hose routing.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 06:59 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Saikou Michi catch can install UPDATED PICS with correct hose routing.

Edit
My first set of pictures I had the hose routing wrong. This is correct so as you read through the thread and people point out that I had it wrong they are refering to the old pictures which I have replaced with the new ones.

Well I got it in. He painted it red for me. Said he had not done one in red yet but it matched most everything pretty damn close.

We (read Dan) fabed a mount that bolts to the side of the hood latch and placed the catch can front and center. Next we disconnected the hose coming from the AOS hard line that goes to the Turbo intake hard pipe. We added hose, ran that into the top of the can and then a bit more of 3/4 inch hose out the side and back to the Turbo intake hard pipe. Ran a DE with no problems at all. It does not touch or rub on anything, and it just hangs there.

Here are some pics. the last two show the mount and where we located it. All in all pretty slick and hats off to RSRDAN for making the mount for me.

IPSC

Last edited by IPSC; 05-25-2007 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:57 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Looks good. I have been considering the same general area for mounting mine, but I have been waiting to install my MAF first. I decided to go with black. The guy does really nice work!
Old 05-21-2007, 08:07 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$120 for that can?
Old 05-21-2007, 08:29 PM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

Sorry to pop in here, just have a quick question. Is this the same concept as the Lindsey catch pan they mount off the cam cover? This one has a line coming off the intercooler pipe? Does the other line connect to the A/S? Looks cool!! Thanks
Old 05-21-2007, 08:38 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Fluidplay
Sorry to pop in here, just have a quick question. Is this the same concept as the Lindsey catch pan they mount off the cam cover? This one has a line coming off the intercooler pipe? Does the other line connect to the A/S? Looks cool!! Thanks
No Worries
This approach still applies vacum to the crank case. The LR can is just a breather. I have one but never insalled it. In essence this is really a condenser. The hot oil vapor is scavenged from the air being sucked out of the crank case.

here check out the man's website.

http://www.saikoumichi.com/951_OCC_RnD.htm

IPSC
Old 05-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

so.. it's a completely different system? though it sounds like both are extracting oil from the intake before it gets into the turbo and reduces performance. Could you run both sytems?, seems like there are 2 areas for this oil vapor to get into the intake/turbo. Both also have release valves for the collected oil. Is there really that much oil sucked into the system? Are you planning on installing the Breather tank as well?
Old 05-21-2007, 11:38 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Fluidplay
so.. it's a completely different system? though it sounds like both are extracting oil from the intake before it gets into the turbo and reduces performance. Could you run both sytems?, seems like there are 2 areas for this oil vapor to get into the intake/turbo. Both also have release valves for the collected oil. Is there really that much oil sucked into the system? Are you planning on installing the Breather tank as well?
Yes this is a completely different system. You would not need to run both. Some people who have used the LR catch can on street cars report smelling the oil vapor in the cars cabin as they drive.

Nope no breather tank, this is it. The LR catch can differs as it is a breather system and this is not. Like I said vacum is still applied to the crank case.

NOW some out there in TV land have taken a Moroso top and put it on the LR catch can and routed that back to the intake to acomplish the same thing.

This was super simple. With Dan fabing up the "FastJack racing mount" it went in easy and is out of the way.

IPSC
Old 05-22-2007, 12:31 AM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

IPSC - Is what LR 's producing "Crank Beather Tank" a viable product? or just good marketing?
Old 05-22-2007, 12:37 AM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

I believe that LR built their catch can with racing in mind. The fact that it gets used it on street cars is were people MIGHT find problems. Also with the LR catch can I have heard that the opening in the AOS isn't large enough so that pressure builds up in the crank case and can cause the dip stick to pop out. I have not run one so I can't say for sure.

IPSC
Old 05-22-2007, 01:10 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats funny that you posted this today. Because i emailed him today and yesterday and we were talking for a bit. i am going to order in a couple of days. From my understanding you suppose to connect the bottom of the catch can to the "J-Pipe".
Old 05-22-2007, 01:14 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by reno808
From my understanding you suppose to connect the bottom of the catch can to the "J-Pipe".
I agree; you will induce boost pressure into the can that way (in the photos). It needs to tie in before the turbo.

Last edited by Perry 951; 05-24-2007 at 02:16 AM.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:10 AM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by IPSC
I believe that LR built their catch can with racing in mind. The fact that it gets used it on street cars is were people MIGHT find problems. Also with the LR catch can I have heard that the opening in the AOS isn't large enough so that pressure builds up in the crank case and can cause the dip stick to pop out. I have not run one so I can't say for sure.

IPSC

No.
The dipstick pops out because their can removes the vacuum from the system.
This is NOT the way to do it.
Vacuum is ALWAYS good in the crankcase (that's one of the biggest reasons for dry sump systems).
Lindsey makes many good products, I use many of them - but this thing is not one of them. The one I took off of Rolex's old car caught on fire, for Crist's sake.
You want to keep the vacuum like the can in the topic of the thread and like Porsche did when they designed the car.
The reason I use a vacuum can is because the oil was slipping by my turbo exhaust seals after a run and this immediately stopped after I used a vacuum can.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:11 AM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

I have one of Lindsey's catch cans installed in my car; which gets used only for the track...I do get fume/smell at times.

But, I don't understand the discussion about vacuum...Can you step it down a notch for us non-tech types?

I was trying to remove the unnecessary oil vapors going back to my intake...What's with the vacuum/no vacuum?

Using crayons instead of pens would help...at least, for me it would!

Thanks!

Jason
Old 05-22-2007, 08:19 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Wait a minute here, you got the catch can and IAS lines switched!
You want the cath can to vent to the turbo intake, NOT the intercooler pipe.

They way it's hooked up currently your will actually apply boost pressure to the crankcase!! Quite the opposite to keeping vacuum in there. A big no-no.

Switch the idle stabilizer and catch can lines before blowing your pan gasket.

Other than that, looks like a nice product.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:36 AM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by Duke
Wait a minute here, you got the catch can and IAS lines switched!
You want the cath can to vent to the turbo intake, NOT the intercooler pipe.

They way it's hooked up currently your will actually apply boost pressure to the crankcase!! Quite the opposite to keeping vacuum in there. A big no-no.

Switch the idle stabilizer and catch can lines before blowing your pan gasket.

Other than that, looks like a nice product.

Oh **** - I didn't notice that.

Dude - you need to immediately change that - that configuration is trying it's best to blow you oilpan gasket, AND IT WILL SUCCEED!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: My Saikou Michi catch can install UPDATED PICS with correct hose routing.