Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Belt squeal... then no AC

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 12:12 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt squeal... then no AC

Over the weekend I was pulling away from a stoplight, got into second gear, was stretching the legs a bit after about 5 minutes from a start. -Probably got up to about 3,500RPM when there was a sudden, loud, sustained belt squeal. My car's never squealed before...

I dipped the clutch and let the revs drop down and the squealing stopped. -okay, I thought... no biggie. -I'll check the pulleys and belt tensions some time.

Then about a imute later I noticed that the A/C was not working. This is Florida heading into summer. -Non-working A/C is not an option!

I took a peep under the hood to see how buried the belts are, and it doesn't look like the work of a moment.

-Anyone think of a reason why I'd hear a squeal and then have no A/C? -Surely if the compressor siezed, the squeal would have been continuos, even after I dropped the revs to idle. -I can romp on teh revs now and there's no squeal... in fact it seems like the comrpessor isn't even kicking in any more.

Huh... -I'm stumped! -This is still an R-12 system, and I have plenty of refrigerant stored away for a rainy day, if it comes to that.

Oh yeah, this is an 89 (S-spec) with no engine mods except for an autothority chip... 220,000 miles and in top-notch condition otherwise.

Keith
Old 05-21-2007, 03:37 PM
Cosmatics951
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe the clutch on the a/c pulley went? How is the tension on the belt?
Old 05-21-2007, 04:24 PM
mortymower
Rennlist Member

It sounds like he didn't actually look at the belt because its hard to find if the stock airbox is still there. If this is true, the belt may not even be there. Check yor voltage rading on the dash while running with the blower and lights on, if it reads low then either the belt or compressor could have seized and the belt may have snapped. If the reading is normal however, then I agree with john that the A/C clutch might have gone, but if its the original comp after 220,000mi, then the bearings in the comp itself may have just quit and seized. The clutch won't engage if a problem or low freon is detected so it may have realized something was up and now it wont engage and the pulley just spins freely. Good Luck
Old 05-21-2007, 06:14 PM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Got your exact symptoms when one of the bolts that held my ac compressor fell out :O
Old 05-21-2007, 06:49 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Is the AC on it's own belt, or does it share with something else, like the alternator etc?

Keith
Old 05-21-2007, 07:01 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The belt for the AC is also the belt for the Alternator. Do you have your belly pan still on?

IPSC
Old 05-21-2007, 10:31 PM
blysccr
Instructor

I had same problem with my giffith a/c conversion. Clutch is lubed to spec and we just put a new belt on. Then the damn squealing persisted. so we called them and they said to make sure the belt of really tight. it still does it off and on....very embarassing to be riding in a nice 951 with a squealing belt.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:56 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Yes, belly pan is on. Alternator appears to be charging (no warning lights anyhow).

I'll have to have a close look. -My goodness, it's crowded in there!!! (stock airbox etc.)

Keith
Old 05-22-2007, 06:16 PM
mortymower
Rennlist Member

if the alt is charging then you haven't snapped the belt, and since you no longer have A/C its obviously something to do with the compressor (actual comp or clutch)
Old 05-22-2007, 07:34 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The alternator warning light won't come on for a little while, until the battery gets good and low. At least mine doesn't.

Check the voltmeter with the engine running, less than 12 = no alternator as well = tossed belt.

If the belt is still on there, most likely your compressor clutch gave up. You shouldn't need to evacuate/recharge the system, since IIRC the clutch can be changed with the compressor in the car.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:16 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

When my compressor clutch went the snowflake button made a great kill switch.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:43 AM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
When my compressor clutch went the snowflake button made a great kill switch.
"Yeah.. I see you runnin'... -now FREEZE!"

Didn't get to look properly last night, but I do see a belt with "continental" printed on it, running horizontally under the airbox...

Keith

Quick Reply: Belt squeal... then no AC