Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Brake rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 01:03 PM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Brake rotors

Anybody seen these before? kinda interesting...what are your thoughts? www.trinetmotorsports.com
Old 04-22-2007, 04:03 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Read the stuff on their new technology thing and this was my first thoughts.

This is not new technology.

Cross drilling helps to evacuate water. It is not intended to cool rotors. Also you must inspect holey rotors often as the holes tend to cause stress fractures near the holes that can cause a rotor to break instead of brake. The best thing to prevent warping ducting more air to the brakes to keep them from getting too hot in the first place. The second best is cryotempering the rotors.

Slots help to remove the gases and dust created to maintain the grip, it does not "Improve Grip."
Old 04-22-2007, 04:15 PM
turbo8
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

having iron crosses on your brake rotors= awsome
Old 04-23-2007, 12:55 AM
2bridges
Drifting

Cross drilled rotors are a mixed bag. Additional cooling is at the sacrifice of rotor surface in contact with pad. I think 99% like the look. I especially would be leary of the heavily drilled rotors as pictured. Cracking between drilled holes is common.

slotted rotors are for maintaining fresh pad material. By design you will wear pads at a much faster rate in sacrifice of ultimate pad surface for peak braking. That said, this is silly for anything but a true track car. Again many consumers are going for the look.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:35 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Really, really sad...

My understanding is that cross drilled/slotted/etc provides an escape route for the gasses (burring pad binder) that exist between the pad and the rotor. This is the primary cause of brake fade -- this compressible cushion prevents solid contact between the pad and the rotor.

The cooling is really handled by the internal fins -- and in the case of the turbo S, the more efficient curved internal fins (that's why there is a left and a right). As the rotor spins, it sucks air in from the back center and expels the air around the circumference. I imagine there is very little cross air flow through the cross drilled holes...
Old 04-23-2007, 09:54 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

The original idea behind drilling the rotors was to make them lighter….
And then the marketing guys and bench racers made up the rest!

A big difference on methodology is drilling vs casting. The Porsche rotors are cast hole rotors – much less prone to cracking (they will - but much later)
Old 04-23-2007, 12:10 PM
Acetylene
Pro

Van is indeed dead on the money. I have cross drilled rotors at all four corners and they perform flawlessly. I have only seen cracking problems on heavily abused (big-time track) cars and I have not seen it very often.

On that note, mine are for the looks more than the performance, as the factory rotors are more than adequate.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:26 PM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

I've never seen a set of tracked cross drills that were not showing signs of cracking. On the track, brakes get a serious workout. I've also seen a rotor let go due to cracking and I never want to see that again. I wouldn't put cross drilled on my car if you gave them to me, but then my car is mostly track. Mine are slotted and I have never found myself wanting more braking.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:10 PM
2bridges
Drifting

I have seen about 10 cracked rotors from various manufacurers domestic and foreign. None were track used, and all were "name bbrand" quality rotors. Mustangs, imports, etc,etc. Only commonality cross drilled and cracked. The notion that cracking is due to excessive track use in not true. All these were street cars, only two had ever even seen a track.

I will not run drilled rotors. Slotted for a track car, but never drilled for me
Old 04-23-2007, 02:02 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the idea was also to give the dust somewhere to go

Quick Reply: Brake rotors