Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

No Head Gasket Required

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 08:16 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by special tool
M42 - what is the process of the sale of service.
Head and block shipment?
ST is this perhaps what you've been looking for?
Old 04-07-2007, 01:18 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"'No head gasket' to me means metal to metal. What your describing has a type of crushed ring doesn't it? That to me is a gasket. Not trying to rain on your parade and if it works for a specific purpose then great, bring it on, just don't call it gasketless if it's not metal to metal."

I sneak out some really good info on what is coming and "THIS" is the response!! It says it all in my opinion. Stay on the porch my friend and let the world pass you and your "that to me" comment pass you by.

OR do not take it so literally, understand it for what it was intended to say, and allow the development to enter your life and hopefully make it better. Thats what I do and I have found it has allowed me to see life so much better and those around me have given me so much in return.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Driftomagnifico
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has a gasket it's just not a gasket in the literal sense of an OEM headgasket.

So even with the upper block reinforcement you are still getting cylinder wall migration? Where you blowing out the headgasket as a result or were you getting head lift? Or was this more or less a "I saw x car use it so I'm going to try it" thing?
Old 04-07-2007, 09:09 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

i wasnt having a go at you M42racer, it just seemed to me your terminoligy could have been better. thats all. i look forward to seeing the results of this project.
one question i am not sure about, obviously the sealing surface would have to be dead flat and i can see that working but if the car was to overheat a little this may cause a little bit of warping of the head. would a car with a headgasket be able to compensate for this small warpage? i also guess it would have to be an original headgasket not a metal one. as a metal one would not crush to the imperfections in the head/block.
sean
Old 04-07-2007, 10:57 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No offence taken. Just wanted to make it clear that I was not trying to mislead either. It is how I was told its known.

"So even with the upper block reinforcement you are still getting cylinder wall migration? Where you blowing out the headgasket as a result or were you getting head lift? Or was this more or less a "I saw x car use it so I'm going to try it" thing?"

No!

The development of this was always planned. The deck Plate allows for the use of either a Gasket or no Gasket. Either way, when the head studs ate torqued and the Gordle is torqued, there is alot of tension induced into the block. The deck Plate keeps the top and the liners all locked into one another, but cannot help with the shearing loads the Head produces under load. This has always been an issue with any engine with Head gaskets. The more you clamp the more loads are induced into the block. The whole idea here is to lower these loads and allow the engine to run without the cylinders deforming, the head moving etc. I'm told that these blocks are one of the worst for twisting etc because of their height, length, bore sizes and open architecture.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:25 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

so would i be right in saying that one point that the headgasket will fail is because of the shearing loads of the head? by this do you mean the head can move side by side a little under load? i can see how that would manipulate the head gasket.
i can see what you are saying about the clamping forces put into the block when the head and gordle are torqued down, (im also learning here so stay with me) but wouldnt also having the gordle and head torqued down increase the structual integrity of the structure. kind of like a bridge? and then you have the cam box on top of that which would also help to strenghten the structure.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:45 AM
Geneqco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by m42racer
The development of this was always planned. The deck Plate allows for the use of either a Gasket or no Gasket. Either way, when the head studs ate torqued and the Gordle is torqued, there is alot of tension induced into the block. The deck Plate keeps the top and the liners all locked into one another, but cannot help with the shearing loads the Head produces under load. This has always been an issue with any engine with Head gaskets. The more you clamp the more loads are induced into the block. The whole idea here is to lower these loads and allow the engine to run without the cylinders deforming, the head moving etc. I'm told that these blocks are one of the worst for twisting etc because of their height, length, bore sizes and open architecture.
In answer to Jet's point, are you really saying the issue with the clamping forces and the loads that are induced into the block as a result are not entirely even. And it is this uneveness, combined with the architecture etc that causes the problems... twisting etc?
Old 04-08-2007, 12:46 AM
Geneqco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the way, thanks for sharing the information!
Old 04-25-2024, 12:15 PM
audisport
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me guess... there was no update to this. lol
Old 05-02-2024, 05:20 PM
GregBBRD
Former Sponsor

Received 2,474 Likes on 1,468 Posts

Originally Posted by audisport
Let me guess... there was no update to this. lol
The great thing about the majority of head gaskets is that they act like a "fuse" in an electrical system.
You overload the fuse (or head gasket) and it is the weak link, which fails.
Without the head gasket, "overload" means aluminum melting.

Although a little bit on the fragile side, stock head gaskets are great "story tellers".
If an engine has been experiencing any detonation, it shows up, instantly, on the fire ring (even though the gasket may not fail.)
We use modified 968 gaskets in almost all of our big horsepower 928 engines....intentionally.
Old 05-03-2024, 03:46 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm surprised this 'crew' didn't try and sell me on the concept. Never saw it come to light nor any developmental pics. A lot of things were 'pitched' to me but not this one. Probably could have extracted even more $$$ out of me if they had....
Old 05-03-2024, 08:41 AM
944 timbo
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by GregBBRD
The great thing about the majority of head gaskets is that they act like a "fuse" in an electrical system.
You overload the fuse (or head gasket) and it is the weak link, which fails.
Without the head gasket, "overload" means aluminum melting.

Although a little bit on the fragile side, stock head gaskets are great "story tellers".
If an engine has been experiencing any detonation, it shows up, instantly, on the fire ring (even though the gasket may not fail.)
We use modified 968 gaskets in almost all of our big horsepower 928 engines....intentionally.
Can you elaborate a little about the 968 head gasket modifications and how they help with big horsepower?
Old 05-03-2024, 06:29 PM
GregBBRD
Former Sponsor

Received 2,474 Likes on 1,468 Posts

Originally Posted by 944 timbo
Can you elaborate a little about the 968 head gasket modifications and how they help with big horsepower?
I modify factory 968 head gaskets only because I'm using them in 928 applications.
I've only redone a few 968 engines and when I did, I used the stock gasket, as is.

Back in another lifetime (when I was building 951 engines) the solution to long head gasket "life" was to use the proper hardware.
I have no idea what the current trend is.

The following users liked this post:
944 timbo (05-05-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 10:37 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Nelson racing engines (big Hp drag stuff) uses some kind of helicopter turbine sealant on their head gaskets to essentially glue the head to the block. They do 2000+hp out of 6-7 liters (short term) so there must be something to it
Old 05-05-2024, 10:33 PM
944 timbo
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Nelson racing engines (big Hp drag stuff) uses some kind of helicopter turbine sealant on their head gaskets to essentially glue the head to the block. They do 2000+hp out of 6-7 liters (short term) so there must be something to it
That's super interesting! Know what its called?

Last edited by 944 timbo; 05-05-2024 at 10:44 PM.

Quick Reply: No Head Gasket Required