Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Do you think I can do it? -- A front seal and belt change that is!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 09:15 AM
majuva33
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you think I can do it? -- A front seal and belt change that is!

As the title says. I've been thinking about doing a front seal and belt change myself. I would save quite a bit of money (if I can complete it successfully that is) and also get to know my car better.

I'm an amateur when it comes to mechanics. As a day job, I'm an academic.

My experience with cars so far: I've toyed with cars for most of my life, as a hobby. I used to race a modified production car in the past, so I've taken engines out, replaced engines etc. I've also done a belt change once on a diesel Golf (yes I know, pretty removed from a 951), I do all my own servicing etc.

I've never pulled an engine apart or done anything internally, however. And I've only owned my 951 for around 12 months and it seems to be the most complicated piece of machinery I've ever owned! The engine bay is FULL, it's difficult to get to things etc.etc. I'm worried I won't find TDC on these things and I'm terrified I'll mess up the belts and bend a valve or worse!

I do, however, have reasonable tools and a good shed (as we call them in Australia) to repair the car. The car is a 'weekender' hobby car, so it can stay off the road for a while, without problems. It probably sees around 5000 kms a year, if that.

What do you think? I wouldn't mind hearing other 'amateurs' thoughts on this. And professionals' as well!!!
Old 04-02-2007, 09:56 AM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Easy, just take your time and re-check your work several times.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:30 PM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine last year. If you are going to do it, replace everything WYIT. Zimm's has a kit with all the seals and races for about $88. I am doing a friend's 951 right now. You will also need the pin wrench and the 'skinny' wrench for the the roller nuts. http://www.arnnworx.com/ is a good source for these must have tools. http://www.paragon-products.com/ has the oil pump sleave and o ring.
http://www.clarks-garage.com/ is your best source for instruction. Happy wrenching!
Old 04-08-2007, 08:12 AM
majuva33
Advanced

Thanks for that.

Any other thoughts about where from I should by the seals and gaskets? What about belts? Is there any difference in the quality of belts from different suppliers?

Cheers

Mark
Old 04-08-2007, 08:42 AM
Geneqco
Pro

I got a kit that included belts, pulleys and seals from Lindsey Racing. We also used Clark's Garage Manual and you really do need the tools - we had to make up a "pin spanner" and grind down a spanner for the "skinny wrench".

A few people seem to get the balance shaft setup wrong so follow the instructions carefully and if the engine has unusual vibrations after you're done, you'll know you must have got something wrong.

It's also a good idea to do the water pump at the same time... it's driven by the same belt as the timing gear, so if it seizes you're in trouble.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:35 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this is the first time, as others have said take your time. The thing you'll probable be most pissed about when it's all said and done is the bottom locking pin on the distributor cap, LOL!

Set TDC with the Cam gear mark and the back cover mark aligned, go under the car and verify the indented area on the flywheel is centered in the small notched opening on the bell housing. Remove the starter and install the flywheel lock and go for it. Also, first time, get some freezer bags that you can write on and store stuff in as you take it off. good luck
Old 04-08-2007, 10:48 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Go for it. There is a ton of info to guide you on rennlist and clraks-garage.com -- and if you get stuck, this list will answer any question in a nanosecond. The one thing you'll likely need to find in advance is a belt tensioning tool -- options include the factory tool $, the annworx version (cheaper), the cricket (cheap, but accurate?), or the calibrated thumb (free but risky).
Old 04-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

calibrated thumb And fore finger - twist belt to a 90° turn, belt should make it to 90 but be very snug but not too tight that you have to force it there

Tom have you checked your thumb lately?
Old 04-08-2007, 11:35 AM
majuva33
Advanced

Cheers fellows. All this has given me confidence to give it a try. I'll keep reading articles/posts etc, and will then order the parts and go for it. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Mark
Old 04-08-2007, 02:39 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeremy Himsel and I did mine yesterday. I owe Jeremy big time. Anything except sexual favors. Doing belts, waterpump, and front seals is an all day job for two people. Maybe if I talked less and worked more we could have gotten it done faster but it was a good day. The scrapes and bruises should heal in about a week. I bought the kit from 944online.com. The kit has everything except the seal goo Jeremy put on the balance shaft housing seals. I do not remember exactly what is was. Maybe he can let you know. Having the right tools is very important. We also replaced all of the cooling hoses and lower temp fan switch while we were there. Good Luck! Have fun!
Old 04-08-2007, 06:10 PM
Geneqco
Pro

Just another thing: be careful to put the pulleys on the right way around... whoever had done mine previously had one of them the wrong way around and it was forcing the belt to rub againstt he block wearing it down. Just as well I checked - apparently it was changed not long before I bought the car.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:56 PM
xtaC
Racer

I'll be interested to see how you get on mate, as I'm about to do the same thing.

A little OT, but you wouldnt be a fellow Queenslander by and chance would you ?
Old 04-08-2007, 11:01 PM
Geneqco
Pro

Majuva33 is obviously from Queensland but I'm in Sydney. Good to see some fellow 951(2) Aussies!
Old 04-09-2007, 02:11 AM
majuva33
Advanced

Originally Posted by Geneqco
Just another thing: be careful to put the pulleys on the right way around... whoever had done mine previously had one of them the wrong way around and it was forcing the belt to rub againstt he block wearing it down. Just as well I checked - apparently it was changed not long before I bought the car.
Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure mine go in the right way around!

Cheers

Mark
Old 04-09-2007, 02:13 AM
majuva33
Advanced

Originally Posted by xtaC
I'll be interested to see how you get on mate, as I'm about to do the same thing.

A little OT, but you wouldnt be a fellow Queenslander by and chance would you ?
Hi, yes, a fellow Qld. Most 951s seem to be up here in the sunshine state. I guess the Mexicans don't appreciate them as much as we do

Cheers

Mark

Quick Reply: Do you think I can do it? -- A front seal and belt change that is!