dual port wastegate question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 12:27 AM
damiza318
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default --

--

Last edited by damiza318; 06-07-2011 at 01:30 AM.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:51 AM
nize
Banned

the only reason to get bigger injectors and custom wastegate is if you plan on running higher boost. since you don't, there's no point for you to get them.

save your money and enjoy your car.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:17 AM
RK951
Rennlist Member

if your wastegate is holding boost properly at the level you desire then adding a dual port wastegate without any sort of extneral boost control wouldn't be worthwhile. In reality, your current wastegate spring has probably weakened over time. Have you measured your boost pressure to know that it is ~12psi? even without using an external boost controller, you would probably benefit by using a new dual port wastegate because of its stiffer spring. prior to connecting my EBC I used the dual port wastegate in single port mode and it was a noticeable improvement over the original wastegate.

in a nutshell, if your current wastegate is holding boost at the presssure you desire then there is no reason to switch.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:58 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If one were to switch to that aftermarket WG, what happens to the cycling valve and all necessary accoutrements?
Old 03-18-2007, 09:00 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Updating your suspension is a good idea although it depends on what you want from the car and what you use it for. If it's just a bit of quick driving on the Hwy, then probably just refurbishing old tired bushes, bearings, and shocks. Having said that, what you have on your car could easily support a bit more boost without being in any danger unless you run on really low octane pump. Maybe just save the money and use it for when you need new tyres.
As anyone will tell you on here, state your goals and go from there.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:05 PM
RK951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
If one were to switch to that aftermarket WG, what happens to the cycling valve and all necessary accoutrements?
If you install a DP wastegate in place of your current one, vent the appropriate port to atmosphere and change nothing else, your boost pressure will still be controlled by the CV and friends.

If you install aftermarket chip(s), you will need to delete the CV and install a external boost controller unless you use chips like those from SciVision which are designed to use factory boost controll (CV) mechanisms to raise the boost pressure from the factory setting up to ~14.5psi.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:59 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah thanks for the info. So one would not be able to run an aftermarket chip (one different from the SciVision-type chips) w/o first installing a boost controller? Do the SciVision chips work well? I'm not looking for insane power gains; merely a bump up w/o sacrificing much reliability.

And if I'm only looking at installing a boost enhancer, exhaust, chip, air filter, and maybe something else mild, the DP WG would be total overkill for me?
Old 03-18-2007, 03:12 PM
RK951
Rennlist Member

To use most aftermarket chips you need some form of external boost control. The Scivision chips do work but may require shimming the wastegate if the spring is weakened. IMHO, if one is going to take the time and energy to remove the wastegate to install shims, it makes more sense just to replace the wastegate but it just depends upon the value of your time vs money. You can always use a new DP wastegate like the original if you vent the appropriate port to air.

What you could do is first try a set of chips which use the CV for boost control. If you are not seeing appropriate boost, then shim or swap out the wastegate. If you are still not satisfied, delete the CV and install an external boost controller.

If you really want your car to stay "factory" and aren't interested in making any changes (even minor ones) to your engine, the Scivision chips are a good option. I used a pair of Scivision chips and they worked as advertised. As I wanted more/better control of my boost pressure, I'm currently using a Vitesse chip, DP wastegate with an EBC. I think this is best combination but there are other options.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:26 PM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by damiza318
...boosting the hell out of the car and jeopardizing reliability.
this is NOT the answer.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:52 PM
RK951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by damiza318
I will have to talk with my mechanic...
hopefully your mechanic knows something about these cars. with the mods you described, you need an appropriate set of chips. other things to consider before you make further changes are checking all your vac lines and looking at your A/F ratio.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:52 PM
nize
Banned

search these forums for your answers. and learn in the process.

Quick Reply: dual port wastegate question