Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Bosch 044 noise Survey...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 01:48 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts
Default Bosch 044 noise Survey...

For those of you who have actally installed the 044 pump in their 951, do you hear it? My pump doesn't seem to make much noise, but I am getting a tapping sound at idle, the frequency of which corresponds to the pulses in the fuel lines. Does everyone get that, or should I try to isolate the lines/punp better?
Old 10-16-2006, 03:39 AM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just get a humm. I mistok it for static from the speakers at first.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:28 AM
special tool
Banned

Mine taps..
Its up around the braided fuel liines.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:01 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

As you know, my old one made a sound the seemed like a slight clunk. Could hear it the most at idle coming from the back right. Ask ST, he installed it, he should know. Told me get used to the Big Moma, it makes some noise.

Old 10-16-2006, 11:45 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not just on the 044 that the tapping shows up, I use one of the Bosch pumps that Lindsey Racing has sold for years and I also get the tap.

In summer temps it is not so loud but now that the temps are cooler very pronounced at idle.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:57 PM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine does no tapping or makes any noise at all! Oh, wait..... Nevermind. Its still on my dining room table.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:01 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Sounds to me like the stock fuel dampener is probably undersized now for the larger capacity pumps and you get a pressure hammer. Anyone ever try a larger FD unit or is one even made? One way to find out is plug it off completely and see if it gets any louder.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:27 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Well, 5 minutes of investigation tonight -- it seems to be coming from the lines toward the back. If I put my ear against the body down by the rocker panel, I can hear it knock like someone is using a little hammer. At least that will help isolate it without planting someonoe in the car. My plan is to jack it up over the weekend and look for places where the lines are touching the body -- adding rubber insulation where it touches. Wish me luck -- tips/suggestions welcome.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:09 AM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by David Floyd
It's not just on the 044 that the tapping shows up, I use one of the Bosch pumps that Lindsey Racing has sold for years and I also get the tap.

In summer temps it is not so loud but now that the temps are cooler very pronounced at idle.

HHHHHmmmmm ..... you are right, as usual.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:14 AM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine just makes a normal electric hummmm. As David says it's louder when its cold out.
No tapping.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:32 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Bosch High Volume pump doesnt make any tapping sounds, just a hum/whine from the pump and a whoosh in the lines and rail. Although this is with the engine off Theres also a steady vibration that can be barely felt in the floorboards with just the pump running, but this is probably because I didnt use the suppoistory pill to mount it, just some sections of silicon intercooler hose.

Bosch HV, cheaper style braided fuel lines, Billet AFPR.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:23 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by David Floyd

This reminds me of a hysterical response from back in the day on the list asking if people heard whining from their fuel pump.

"Is it cold where you are? Most likely the whining is due to your female fuel pump. They typically are dressed for warm-weather and when it gets cold, you get a lot of whining noises. Replace with a larger volume male pump and you should be fine..."
Old 10-18-2006, 01:18 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Well, a bit more investigating tonight... As best I can tell, the noise is not the result of fuel lines banging on the floor boards or fenderwell, but haven't ruled it out 100%. The actual source of the noise seems to be from the FPR/damper and fuel rail (I can feel the FPR/damper pulse pretty hard) meaning the noise is just resonating in the body and coming up in the megaphone-shaped tt tunnel. Thoughts/suggestions?
Old 10-18-2006, 01:49 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Well, a bit more investigating tonight... As best I can tell, the noise is not the result of fuel lines banging on the floor boards or fenderwell, but haven't ruled it out 100%. The actual source of the noise seems to be from the FPR/damper and fuel rail (I can feel the FPR/damper pulse pretty hard) meaning the noise is just resonating in the body and coming up in the megaphone-shaped tt tunnel. Thoughts/suggestions?
Again, you might look into a larger dampener if Bosch makes one for the same fittings. Think of it as a surge tank; the air gets compressed and forms a cushion to flatten out surges. Too much pumping and not a enough cushion and you'll get a hammering sound. Lindsey had this same problem in there first fuel rails.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:56 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Steve, I just spent the last 20 minutes reading old posts about the LR fuel rail noise -- even saw that Lidsey already tried what I did tonight -- wedging rubber between the fuel lines and body. Ski posted about a temp fix, but the pictures were red x's. Anyone know if Lidsey ever found a solution?

Quick Reply: Bosch 044 noise Survey...