Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Head gasket And Head Stud issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 09:02 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All types of sleeving have there pros and cons, I will give credit to Tim @ SFR and his machine shop, for the dry sleeves he did for me are performing perfect after 35K miles.

So sleeves can work.

No doubt PD is doing some wonderfull development on our cars, m42 finish your car already ! :-)
Old 03-17-2007, 09:16 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

""So sleeves can work.

No doubt PD is doing some wonderfull development on our cars, m42 finish your car already ! :-)""

Sleeves have been around for years and working great. Alot of race engines are designed around using sleeves right from the get go.

No I have not finished my engine. It has taken a back seat to some other projects I have done. The different parts and development did not stop. Just my engine. I posted a list sometime ago what is available. PD has almost finished everything including brand new EFI systems. The multi butterfly Intake is the last to be finished. This was put on hold as they never had the time to finish it. Once alot of this stuff was finished and tested, it was sold to shops etc. The stock Intake mod they do to even out the air distribution was never even considered part of the development, but to date they ahve done a ton of them for people. As I stated before, I think PD has teamed up with someone in the 944 world to help and to be the contact for customers.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The PD stuff really looks and seems impressive.
But.... as m42racer says, a lot of the things going on currently in the 944 world as been done before with various results. But we are yet to see any official results from PD of their 944 developments so IMHO it's too early to think of their products as the holy grail and one and only working solution.....
Old 03-17-2007, 10:23 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Absolutely. You have to make your conclusions. And I think that if Neil thought he stuff and his company was considered the holy grail of 944 parts he would get very upset. That is not who he is. Humble, grounded and very experienced. Rememebr he worked for years in F1 and Indy Car racing. Was involved in F1 during the Turbo era with the BMW Turbo engine. If he didn't learn something there, nothing was to be learned.
Remember ther are alot of engines out there with PD stuff in them. Completed heads, short blocks etc. We shouldn't think that the 944 engine is anything special either, so if companies are evry successful in other forms of racing/engines etc, then this ca carry over to the 944 engine. Sometimes we forget how old these engines are and how simple the design is.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:04 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much do the deck plates come out at?
Old 03-19-2007, 01:28 AM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by m42racer
We shouldn't think that the 944 engine is anything special either.

While I agree in principal on most of what you say, this part I will take exception to. I recently pulled my motor due to a #2 rod bearing failure which I take full responsibility for...let the oil get low on a track weekend. Anyway, pulling the pistons out and seeing what they and the bore look like after 180k+ miles, half of that at 400hp....you just don't get that lack of wear on an engine that isn't special. The block is going back in untouched...new rings on the pistons and I fully expect another couple hundred thousand miles out of it. Sleeves are great, I do not argue the benefit of easy replacement and higher displacement. But will they have less than 4% leakdown after 180k miles...racing? I doubt that very much. I guess it remains to be seen however. The 951 block as delivered is something special...

Last edited by billindenver; 03-19-2007 at 02:40 AM.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:55 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Hmmm.... and I thought a debit increased assets and decreased liabilities, and therefore meant I was right. Guess not.
Depends if it is from accounts payable's perspective or accounts receivable.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:34 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toddk911
Depends if it is from accounts payable's perspective or accounts receivable.

Tom is an optimist, Todd.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:00 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

LOL!

ST, so if you are going to be doing a 30+psi run on the dyno shootout, I assume you already have done some test runs at those boost levels with no iissues?

Quick Reply: Head gasket And Head Stud issues