Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Head gasket And Head Stud issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 11:00 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris White
The Cometic MLS gaskets have been Viton coated for years...
Yes Chris - the point is that mls itself advises not to use any spray-paint crap in conjunction with the viton.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Yep, but it is a good idea to put a little sealant around the front coolant channel.
So ST/Jim - what did you do to the block in your avatar??
Old 03-16-2007, 02:59 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah Tool, what's up with that avatar?

Old 03-16-2007, 03:03 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chilibluepepper
If you are to use a gasket dressing at all, why not use Hylomar instead of copper spray? Its properties seem ideal for the application. Does anyone have any practical experience with this application of Hylomar?
My understanding for Hylomar, which is no longer available, is that it is best suited for seals, rubber based seals that have dried up over time. The properties allow the rubber to revitalize and expand back to its old form. I was able to reuse an O'ring some years back which had dried out.
Thank God, I still have my tube.
Raj
Old 03-16-2007, 04:23 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Dynamics
Good info! Just bought an MLS!
+1 and ARP head studs
Old 03-16-2007, 04:27 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by special tool
The viton coating!!!!
Its excellent!
Is that true or you being sarcastic????
Old 03-16-2007, 04:43 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ST-
Old 03-17-2007, 12:03 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
Yeah Tool, what's up with that avatar?

The deck bears a striking resemblence to one I saw several years ago in St. Louis in the over-equipped garage of a guy who didn't go to medical school.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:27 PM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
The deck bears a striking resemblence to one I saw several years ago in St. Louis in the over-equipped garage of a guy who didn't go to medical school.

That guess goes in the debit colum, Thomas.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:24 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread started with my day at PD watching testing of Head gasket clamping. Now its about solid deck Plates. Funny thing, both are done at PD. This looks alot like the Deck Plate I paid PD to develop for my 944 engine project. Seems the work that they did sometime ago is finally getting some notice. Its about time. I spoke with Neil about this work and he mentioned that they are about to team up with someone to do all of the 944 work. This way they can focus on the work only. I strongly suggest byou all give them a look. The work is amazing.

A little about the Deck plate. It was decided after alot of block testing, (Twisting and loading) that this was ther better way to strengthen these blocks. They did look at MID as they do this sort of modification to Honda and Ford V8 blocks. After seeing all of the problems with the Honda blocks it was decided not to use this application. For Drag engines it really doesn't matter much, but for a street engine, internal leaks are fatal. The 944 Block is reaaly weak torsionally. It twists alot and removing alot of the paraent material only makes it weaker. I saw twist testing at PD where the block rails would bend and twist causing the Liners and girdle to move. THis is why they lock the girdle to all of the main webbs. The Deck Plate really locks the block side rails to the end caps and ties the liners into them. Now the block will not twist and the gidle is locked to the block thro the main webbs, the whole assembly is really strong. I know they still install MID sleeves in the Honda blocks, but these drag engines now run without water.
Another advantage is the Head Gasket has full support across the entire gasket.
Recently I have heard of some failures (Liners moving up) in the 944 MID application. It appears that the same faults that the Honda guys have seen are now showing up in the 944 appliaction.

I believe that
Old 03-17-2007, 05:33 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by m42racer
A little about the Deck plate. It was decided after alot of block testing, (Twisting and loading) that this was ther better way to strengthen these blocks. They did look at MID as they do this sort of modification to Honda and Ford V8 blocks. After seeing all of the problems with the Honda blocks it was decided not to use this application. For Drag engines it really doesn't matter much, but for a street engine, internal leaks are fatal. The 944 Block is reaaly weak torsionally. It twists alot and removing alot of the paraent material only makes it weaker. I saw twist testing at PD where the block rails would bend and twist causing the Liners and girdle to move. THis is why they lock the girdle to all of the main webbs. The Deck Plate really locks the block side rails to the end caps and ties the liners into them. Now the block will not twist and the gidle is locked to the block thro the main webbs, the whole assembly is really strong. I know they still install MID sleeves in the Honda blocks, but these drag engines now run without water.
Recently I have heard of some failures (Liners moving up) in the 944 MID application. It appears that the same faults that the Honda guys have seen are now showing up in the 944 appliaction.

I believe that
The truth of MIDs finally comes out. I was wondering how long it would take. I was personally waiting to see something fail with a 944 motor because even if you say that here, no one will believe you because of lack of racing experience/building experience/what do you drive kinda thing. Be careful with that, many close minded MID worshippers here. And I'm pretty sure they're not going to be doing drag only, lol.

Last edited by 9fitty1; 03-17-2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:39 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

This is where ST got his avatar.

http://www.customengineeredperforman.../services.html

If you're wondering about my avatar, I'm just a poser. I'm not REALLY going to the moon.

Last edited by 9fitty1; 03-18-2007 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by 9fitty1
This is where ST got his avatar. He's just a poser. Right? Dr. Cement.

http://www.customengineeredperforman.../services.html
Hmmm.... and I thought a debit increased assets and decreased liabilities, and therefore meant I was right. Guess not.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:44 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My post was not to knock the MID sleeving system. It was to inform why this system was not selected on the 944 Block. Alot of testing was perfromed before this decision was made. Often it is taken that the system is no good, but in fact it all comes down to application. I know there are some out there with this sytem in their engines and hopefully working great.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:49 PM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by m42racer
This thread started with my day at PD watching testing of Head gasket clamping. Now its about solid deck Plates. Funny thing, both are done at PD. This looks alot like the Deck Plate I paid PD to develop for my 944 engine project. Seems the work that they did sometime ago is finally getting some notice. Its about time. I spoke with Neil about this work and he mentioned that they are about to team up with someone to do all of the 944 work. This way they can focus on the work only. I strongly suggest byou all give them a look. The work is amazing.

I believe that
I have to say, I agree.
I really hope the Mids can hold up to daily/longterm use, but I am a little nervous.
I am sure they are fine for low HP levels short term, but time will tell about long term.

Quick Reply: Head gasket And Head Stud issues