Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Official KMR 968 Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 02:47 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeff
Would you grace us/me with pics of your RX7s?
Sure thing. The FC is the one that currently has the 3 rotor in it. The guy I bought the car from was in the military and stationed in Japan. He had the engine running there with a Motec M48 and he's the one that dyno'd it. When he got shipped back to the US he took apart the car and sent all the good pieces home where he started to put it back together. He either lost interest or needed money and sold the car to me before it was finished. I'm considering putting the 3 rotor into the FD and selling the FC as a shell to a friend of mine.

Pics:
Attached Images     

Last edited by SoloRacer; 01-28-2007 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:48 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
Actually the car made the magazine long before I bought it. From what I understand the guy who owned the 944T also owned my 968 Turbo and his name according to the article is Gary Stone. I believe that David Stone and his brother (not Gary according to the article) are the founders of Kelly Moss. Is your friend Gary? Or one of the other owners of the white 951?
Gary Stone is a friend of mine who had KMR build his 2.8L, which at one time I almost bought years ago. And no, he didn't own a 968T too. At one time, he had Powerhaus build him a 968T though, and that's a story in itself. Anyway, nice pics and article too.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:51 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
Gary Stone is a friend of mine who had KMR build his 2.8L, which at one time I almost bought years ago. And no, he didn't own a 968T too. At one time, he had Powerhaus build him a 968T though, and that's a story in itself. Anyway, nice pics and article too.

Interesting. I was told that the Excellence article had a bunch of misinformation in it. The article clearly calls the yellow 968 Turbo and the white 951 as "Gary's Waterpumpers". I would like to know more about the history of the 968. Are you saying that Gary never owned the car?
Old 01-28-2007, 02:54 PM
Zeff
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure thing. The FC is the one that currently has the 3 rotor in it. The guy I bought the car from was in the military and stationed in Japan. He had the engine running there with a Motec M48 and he's the one that dyno it. When he got shipped back to the US he took apart the car and sent all the good pieces home where he started to put it back together. He either lost interest or needed money and sold the car to me before it was finished. I'm considering putting the 3 rotor into the FD and selling the FC as a shell to a friend of mine.

Pics:
I'm not seeing the pics... I was a regular on the rx7forums for a long time. This car didn't happen to be red with a reverse TII scoop hood?
Old 01-28-2007, 03:00 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Look now. I had to edit one picture to get rid of a license plate. Sorry. I was on RX7 Forums for a long time as well. I bought the car from a guy on the forums in Arizona. No reverse scoop but it does have the RE Amemiya hood.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:16 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. I was told that the Excellence article had a bunch of misinformation in it. The article clearly calls the yellow 968 Turbo and the white 951 as "Gary's Waterpumpers". I would like to know more about the history of the 968. Are you saying that Gary never owned the car?
Gary Stone never owned a 968T built by KMR, ever, period. Just that 2.8L. Fact my friend, not fiction. A 968T by Powerhaus? Yes, KMR? Never.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:51 PM
Zeff
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look now. I had to edit one picture to get rid of a license plate. Sorry. I was on RX7 Forums for a long time as well. I bought the car from a guy on the forums in Arizona. No reverse scoop but it does have the RE Amemiya hood.
It looks quite a lot like the car I was thinking about. Same headlights and front bumper. I can't remember the original owner's forum name though.

Is your FD an R1? I love those cars and will probably get one in a year or two.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:19 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

The FD is a 1993 R1. I think there were only 500 or so Black R1's in 1993. It's a fun car to drive and i still think the FD is one of the best looking cars out there. It still gets stares everywhere it goes and people are always thinking it's a new car. However, my 951 and 968 both are better built cars with doors that sound like they are made from solid granite when you close them.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:09 PM
pozican
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the youtube video this is the first vid under 'related'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2-dc...elated&search=
Wierd.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:55 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

I'm cool with it. They can shake their bon bon around my car any day.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:42 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Some more pics of the motec 968 can be found here:

http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/albup02

http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/albup01
Old 01-28-2007, 07:19 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

I know Gary as well and have spoken to him on occasions. He DID own the KMR turbo but sold it to the Canadian "collector" who you bought it from. He was selling original wide body fender molds from the KMR car a few yrs back when we spoke.
So, Solo you are correct and your documentation proves it as well.
Raj
Old 01-28-2007, 07:36 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

funny history behind the car..

-first guy sold it because it wouldn't idle smooth at 900rpm
-second guy allegedly sold it cuz his wife was terrified to ride in it after he wrapped it around a pole
-third guy lost it in a messy divorce
-fourth guy winds up selling it to me...
Old 01-28-2007, 07:51 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...It's just a shot of the car revving in the garage at the moment - it's still winter up here after all.
Sorry Erik...that's not a garage...that's a frikkin' warehouse! I was going to say "when the snow melts" ,but we hardly have any of that, I would love a close up look at your 968.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:54 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Rich: I never heard the "wrap it around a pole" story. By stating that it was the second owner that would imply that it was Gary Stone that wrapped it around a pole. Correct? The only damage that I know of was when the 3rd owner hit the ditch in it while going around an off ramp. Underneath the car you can see some scrapes and that is about it. Can anyone else verify that the "hit a pole" story is true? Or is it speculation? I find it hard to believe considering the current condition of the car. The paint is near perfect and the doors open & close like a mint 944/968. Wrapping it around a pole implies that there was major damage done and I don't think that was the case.

Quick Reply: Official KMR 968 Turbo Thread