Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

6 Piston GT2/GT3 calipers are here!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 05:36 AM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 58 Posts

Hey Pat....if you end up with lowly MO30 parts left over...email me! Thanks mate. I am really looking forward to seeing you run soon!
MAC
Old 12-03-2011, 09:56 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

You're officially the first in the queue Mark!
I've got a lot of stuff to sell. Are you interested in a data logger by any chance?
Old 12-03-2011, 10:02 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

okay Patrick WTF are you talking about?
How many millions of dollars does it cost to
1. ship your crap or
2. Get Australian citizenship?

Mostly number 2?
Old 12-03-2011, 02:25 PM
marc a
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyG
As another point of reference, I just saw these.... Porsche Cayenne Turbo Front Brake Calipers for 350mm rotors...

Looks like the side mounts might be close..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Porsche-...item43aaf5c37c

TonyG
I looked at those calipers before doing my upgrade and found that the pads are slightly different than the GT3 pads and therefore you can not get race compounds. Things might have changed since last year, but that what I found.

marc
'77 911 3.2 (C-1) Gone but not forgotten.
3.2 Conversion and 915 Rebuild Home Page
The 958 Conversion
958 Track Video
PCA National Registry of Instructors
Old 12-03-2011, 07:04 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
okay Patrick WTF are you talking about?
How many millions of dollars does it cost to
1. ship your crap or
2. Get Australian citizenship?

Mostly number 2?
I've got a heap of stuff, just not all in one pile. I'm thinking about how to best sell it. Yes, yes, I know...need to actually put a list together and take pics etc.
Clearly it would be best to sell it locally, but I will post it up here in the not too distant future. Might have to come to an arrangement with someone over your side.

Originally Posted by marc a
I looked at those calipers before doing my upgrade and found that the pads are slightly different than the GT3 pads and therefore you can not get race compounds. Things might have changed since last year, but that what I found.

marc
Yes, you're right Mark. That's another thing I forgot about too. For someone who wants some bling for the street, running the Cayenne calipers and rotors is a cheaper way of doing things. Not sure one what adapters you'd need though?
Old 12-04-2011, 05:40 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyG
Hey...

You should hold on.

Over the Christmas holiday, I'm going to have custom A arms fabricated to use a full 996 GT3 strut and upright. That allows us to use the 350mm GT3 rotor/caliper properly without adapters. And.... if you run a big enough wheel, you can use the factory Porsche adapter and go to the 997 GT3 15" brake setup...

Plus... it will fix the A arm geometry, use a much larger front wheel bearing, is more rigid and lighter. It's really the right way to go. Not mention all of the additional front suspension adjustability....

I've been wanting to do this for a while.

I just pulled the trigger today. I picked up the GT3 struts and uprights/spindles.

Next week I'd sending the 996 GT3 struts off the Bilstein to have them rebuilt and valved properly.

The new A arm setup is going to be fabricated at Speed Force Racing. We're doing it over the weekend in a couple of weeks.

Just sell your M030 crap and get the rest of the parts. If you can't find them there, I can get that stuff all day long here (but it's not cheap).

Tim will have the jig built and he can make a set for you (and who ever else wants some).

TonyG
Good call.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 12-04-2011, 02:01 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
So which spindles do you have Tony, Mo30 or not?

Dan also mentioned trying 968 spindles. I actually sent Karl from Racers Edge an email asking his opinion of this and how to convert to a GT3 caliper setup from an Mo30, but I imagine he's busy with PRI.
Does anyone know the specifics of changing over to a different spindle? I'm also running Racers Edge A arms and I believe my spindles have been tapped to accept a bigger bolt to run these, so can anyone say if this could be done with another spindle or is there a design / strength question?
Originally Posted by Duke
Interesting. Are you going to raise the a-arm's mounting points at the body? Would be a waste not to.

You don't have to. If you make your own A arms, you can set the distance between the end of the arm and the spindle center line so that you get your ride height you want with the A arm level.

TonyG
Old 12-04-2011, 02:13 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

You could simply change the 968 M030 spindles to the 968 standard spindle. As it sounds like you have the 19 mm ball joint, all you would have to do would be to have the 968 standard spindles michined out to accet the larger ball joint pin. That simple.

To the best of my knowledge/understanding, even if you are running the Karl's A Arms they still are designed to basically be a plug-n-play for the OE A arm. Therefore changing spindles should really have absolutely no impact on anything else, other than possibly the ball joint pin diameter as previously mentioned.

Michael
Old 12-04-2011, 09:56 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Pat, what were those hats made for? With the standard spindles you will be using an adapter bloc. Not the greatest but I don't have any worries about strength, just a bit more unsprung weight. With the non M030 adapter you have a lot of flexibility on where the caliper bolt holes go. You can just add the necessary width to make things fit.

As TonyG said the non M030 spindles can be bored and threaded to accept Racers Edge ball joints. Karl has a write up on that that your machine shop can use.

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I think I have access to some '90 S2 spindles. Just wondering if they can be converted to run Monoblocks?
Wonder if anyone has a bunch of pics of various spindles to compare?

Also, will this mean having to get new hats made up due to a different offset on the rotor hub? Pity to waste these hats.
Attached Images  
Old 12-04-2011, 10:19 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

Hats are typically made of 6061 T6 Aluminum. In some cases on high end race cars (read: ALMS P1 class, IndyCar, etc) you will find 7075 Aluminum.

It's not only the non M030 spindles that can be bored out to accept the Racer's Edge 19 mm ball joints (alsot available from Travis @ Rennbay) but the M030 spindles as well.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the adapter block. There are pro race cars that use the adapter block as the spindles they use (and have used for many many years) are a axial mount. With the adapter you can literally use any radial mount brake caliper you would like; two piece or monobloc, Wilwood, Brembo, Stoptech, Alcon, AP, Endless (and the list goes on....)

As to re-using the hats, it very possible you could re-use your hats with the monoblocs. The calipers don't specifically determine the hat. It's entirely possible a slight adjustment in the adapter could place the monobloc in the proper position to allow the continued use of your old hats. But there is much more to this than simply that. Other issues that would affect the ability to re-use the old hats could be the necessary depth/height of the new annulus (tyically the Porsche monobloc calipers use pad that require a VERY deep/tall annulus), the diameter of the rotor you will need for the monobloc set up, etc.

A solution to many of these issues I haven't seen referrenced here at all is having rotors/hats custom made. Coleman machine will make just about any size rotor you want in any configuration you want (slotted, drilled, heat treated, other treatments) Coleman will also make Aluminum hats to match their or anyone else's rotors. And I think you'd be surprised at the costs. I made an adapter back in 2002 to put the GT3 calipers on a 968 with the standard spindles (i.e. using an adapter) While I know prices have increased a bit since then, I recall getting Coleman slotted rotors in 350 x 34 mm with double heat treatment for approximately $150 each (if memory serves me correctly.... might even had been a little less)

Frankly I have difficulty understand why one would need to adapt a set of 996 uprights to the 951/968. Seems like A LOT of extra and unneeded cost but possibly Tony knows something I'm not getting.... (No offense meant, Tony) You can do literallly anything you want via the stock configuration.

Michael
Old 12-04-2011, 10:21 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

BTW I did have a CAD drawing of the adapter for the GT3 calipers on a 951/968. If I can find it I will be happy to post it and you can make your own adapters..... Somewhere I have drawings for hats, adapters, etc for a doing BBKs on a number of vehicles (Porsche BMW 3 series, Mustang, old Camaro/Firebird)

Michael
Old 12-04-2011, 10:55 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by autokurl

Frankly I have difficulty understand why one would need to adapt a set of 996 uprights to the 951/968. Seems like A LOT of extra and unneeded cost but possibly Tony knows something I'm not getting.... (No offense meant, Tony) You can do literallly anything you want via the stock configuration.

Michael
No offense taken.

The reason for the 996 uprights is that you can bolt on without adapters... 996 GT3 calipers on a 14" rotor. Or you can use the factory Porsche adapter and run a 15" rotor... and it be all Porsche (for what that's worth...).

The other reasons are:

1. Much larger wheel bearing. This is an issue running big brakes with big (like 315) sticky slicks on a very fast car.

2. Geometry. This can be broken down into several elements of improvements, such as a improved scrub radius, the correct roll center, adjustable track (on multiple axis), improved bump toe control, etc...

The down side is that you have to run a big tie rod drop extension. And I'm not sure I'm totally comfortable with that... however, the fastest 944's ever built ran 996 uprights.... and that same problem was dealt with. Go figure...

TonyG
Old 12-05-2011, 10:12 AM
968ls1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the 951 for sale at the top of this forum topic it has 996 uprights with a custom control arm. Tony is right the 996 upright has much better/larger bearings and brakes are now a factory bolt on. I am not crazy about a rod end being used as the ball joint but apparently it works.

Last edited by 968ls1; 01-07-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:59 AM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is the castor degree and lateral strut degree of that upright?
Old 12-05-2011, 01:07 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by 968ls1
Check out the 951 for sale at the top of this forum topic it has 996 uprights with a custom control arm. Tony is right the 996 upright has much better/larger bearings and brakes are now a factory bolt on. I am not crazy about a rod end being used as the ball joint but apparently it works.
This is not how I'm going to do it. There are several issues I have with that design.... most namely the different angles of the A arm relative to the tie rod. That thing will toe out under braking. Then there's the use of a heim joint as a ball joint... with a spacer between the A arm and upright (in attempt to get the A arm angle correct)... with a bolt holding it all together.

I'm thinking along slightly different lines...

TonyG

Quick Reply: 6 Piston GT2/GT3 calipers are here!!