Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

6 Piston GT2/GT3 calipers are here!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 07:57 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They don't exist yet for the 87-up NA spindle. Send me a Caliper and rotor and I'll mock it up when I do the Z06 caliper mock-up to the 87-up NA spindle as well.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:09 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xschop
They don't exist yet for the 87-up NA spindle. Send me a Caliper and rotor and I'll mock it up when I do the Z06 caliper mock-up to the 87-up NA spindle as well.

No I meant for the 87-up 951/S2/968 (non-M030) spindle.

TonyG
Old 12-01-2011, 08:35 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Raj,

i forgot to look closely at your speedlines last year.

are the huge brakes on the car ?
Old 12-01-2011, 10:57 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyG
Thanks,

I have a few questions as I'm going to bigger brakes than what I have now on my LS6/951 street/track car. Currently I run M030/965 rotor/Big Reds. Not big enough.

TonyG
No I meant for the 87-up 951/S2/968 (non-M030) spindle.

TonyG
So which spindles do you have Tony, Mo30 or not?

Originally Posted by marc a
Patrick,

Sell your MO30 spindles, calipers, etc for big bucks, buy some regular 951 '87 or '88 spindles and convert

Marc
Dan also mentioned trying 968 spindles. I actually sent Karl from Racers Edge an email asking his opinion of this and how to convert to a GT3 caliper setup from an Mo30, but I imagine he's busy with PRI.
Does anyone know the specifics of changing over to a different spindle? I'm also running Racers Edge A arms and I believe my spindles have been tapped to accept a bigger bolt to run these, so can anyone say if this could be done with another spindle or is there a design / strength question?
Old 12-01-2011, 11:37 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by 333pg333
So which spindles do you have Tony, Mo30 or not?
M030.

But I'm changing over to late offset, non-M030 so I can run adapters to run the full 996 GT3 setup.

Dan also mentioned trying 968 spindles. I actually sent Karl from Racers Edge an email asking his opinion of this and how to convert to a GT3 caliper setup from an Mo30, but I imagine he's busy with PRI.
All 87+ 951, S2, 968 (non turbo S, non-M030), spindles are the same.
[/QUOTE]

Does anyone know the specifics of changing over to a different spindle? I'm also running Racers Edge A arms and I believe my spindles have been tapped to accept a bigger bolt to run these, so can anyone say if this could be done with another spindle or is there a design / strength question?
Your Racer's Edge A arms use a bigger diameter ball joint. I think 2mm larger but I don't remember for sure off hand...

You would simply take your non-M030 spindles and have them machined out to accept your larger ball joints. Carl at Racer's Edge can give you the proper diameter hole.

It's my understanding from other reputable people (I don't have direct comparative experience) that the M030 and the non-M030 spindles are the same except for the caliper mounting brackets. Again... If anybody has any info to the contrary, I'd love to hear it....

TonyG
Old 12-02-2011, 04:13 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

I think I have access to some '90 S2 spindles. Just wondering if they can be converted to run Monoblocks?
Wonder if anyone has a bunch of pics of various spindles to compare?

Also, will this mean having to get new hats made up due to a different offset on the rotor hub? Pity to waste these hats.
Attached Images   
Old 12-02-2011, 08:22 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I think I have access to some '90 S2 spindles. Just wondering if they can be converted to run Monoblocks?
Wonder if anyone has a bunch of pics of various spindles to compare?
Yes no problem. All the 87-95 spindles (Turbo 87-88, S2, 968) have the same measurements etc. (except Turbo S -88 and Turbo 89-91).
They are easily converted to a monoblock caliper with a simple adapter.

Also, will this mean having to get new hats made up due to a different offset on the rotor hub? Pity to waste these hats.
Sweet rotors and hats. You will probably need to update the hats.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:18 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Thanks Duke.

I think I'll need to do a Sale soon with all the excess parts I've gathered. These hats/rotors might be in there as well then...
Old 12-02-2011, 04:38 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Thanks Duke.

I think I'll need to do a Sale soon with all the excess parts I've gathered. These hats/rotors might be in there as well then...
Hey...

You should hold on.

Over the Christmas holiday, I'm going to have custom A arms fabricated to use a full 996 GT3 strut and upright. That allows us to use the 350mm GT3 rotor/caliper properly without adapters. And.... if you run a big enough wheel, you can use the factory Porsche adapter and go to the 997 GT3 15" brake setup...

Plus... it will fix the A arm geometry, use a much larger front wheel bearing, is more rigid and lighter. It's really the right way to go. Not mention all of the additional front suspension adjustability....

I've been wanting to do this for a while.

I just pulled the trigger today. I picked up the GT3 struts and uprights/spindles.

Next week I'd sending the 996 GT3 struts off the Bilstein to have them rebuilt and valved properly.

The new A arm setup is going to be fabricated at Speed Force Racing. We're doing it over the weekend in a couple of weeks.

Just sell your M030 crap and get the rest of the parts. If you can't find them there, I can get that stuff all day long here (but it's not cheap).

Tim will have the jig built and he can make a set for you (and who ever else wants some).

TonyG
Old 12-02-2011, 05:24 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Hey...

You should hold on.

Over the Christmas holiday, I'm going to have custom A arms fabricated to use a full 996 GT3 strut and upright. That allows us to use the 350mm GT3 rotor/caliper properly without adapters. And.... if you run a big enough wheel, you can use the factory Porsche adapter and go to the 997 GT3 15" brake setup...

Plus... it will fix the A arm geometry, use a much larger front wheel bearing, is more rigid and lighter. It's really the right way to go. Not mention all of the additional front suspension adjustability....

I just pulled the trigger today. I picked up the GT3 struts and uprights/spindles.

Next week I'd sending the 996 GT3 struts off the Bilstein to have them rebuilt and valved properly.

The new A arm setup is going to be fabricated at Speed Force Racing. We're doing it over the weekend in a couple of weeks.

Just sell your M030 crap and get the rest of the parts. If you can't find them there, I can get that stuff all day long here (but it's not cheap).

Tim will have the jig built and he can make a set for you (and who ever else wants some).

TonyG

Good Grief !!!!!! 15 inch brakes???????? Maybe we can do endo stops in our cars now !

I hope pics will follow

Jason
Old 12-02-2011, 07:17 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

As another point of reference, I just saw these.... Porsche Cayenne Turbo Front Brake Calipers for 350mm rotors...

Looks like the side mounts might be close..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Porsche-...item43aaf5c37c

TonyG
Old 12-02-2011, 07:37 PM
968ls1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cayenne Calipers

Could the Cayenne calipers be machined for radial mount like the GT3? Looks like basically the same caliper except for the mounting ears and no hole for radial mounting bolts.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:54 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

They are slightly different and they only have half of the pistons made of ceramic.
They're definitely cheaper though. Must be some reason that they're not used in Racing though...
Old 12-03-2011, 12:42 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Hey...

You should hold on.

TonyG
Sounds very interesting. Email sent.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:32 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey...

You should hold on.

TonyG
Interesting. Are you going to raise the a-arm's mounting points at the body? Would be a waste not to.

Quick Reply: 6 Piston GT2/GT3 calipers are here!!