Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

1 month update on my car.. pics + concerns.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 01:54 AM
Ballistic-Chapman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 month update on my car.. pics + concerns.

I've had the car for about 1 month now and want to share a few things. For starters, this is my first performance car and I absolutely love it! The car handles on rails and is just stupidly fast. The car is going to be a garage queen for 6 months because i'm moving to Oregon and do not want to spend the funds (just over 2 grand) to get this car on the road for such a short period. I am completely new to the Porsche 944 and almost feel stupid asking some of these questions. I'm hoping to resolve any concerns before they get out of hand.

1. I am getting backfire every so often and have burned through 1/2 tank of gas in under 100 miles. I have service records dating all the way back to 1988 and the 02 sensor have not been replaced. Does it seem logical this is the cause? How do these cars act with aftermarket 02 sensors?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSC...spagenameZWDVW

2. SOLVED THANKS

3. SOLVED THANKS

4. SOLVED THANKS

5. SOLVED THANKS

6. SOLVED THANKS

7. SOLVED THANKS!

8. SOLVED THANKS

Besides that, the car is doing great and way more than I expected. I have spend 15+ hours detailing the interior and removing 20 years worth of hidden dirt. The exterior paint was clay bared, swirls removed and waxed. The car attracts A LOT of attention. I have had people come up to me while grabbing photos at a park and cleaning it outside my garage. I hate to gloat, but I love the attention.

(sticker on door has been removed)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Ballistic-Chapman; 01-22-2007 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:04 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can answer a couple of these...

2. My car has the R134a swap but the A/C is not blistering cold. Is this normal? -Don't know

3. The blower speeds 1-4 do not operate. Only 5 (fast speed) works. Easy fix? -maybe a new control unit?

4. Is this a short shifter or stock?
-no way to tell by the photo. the short shifter bolts to the transmission, and is not a shorter lever. it is the stock length, however.

5. When placing the clutch into reverse, there is a lot of play and must be placed perfectly to prevent grinding or not gripping... normal?
-No. not normal. get a new shift lever. your connection to the shift linkage might be football shaped

6. I noticed some 944's have different door handles than mine... are these stock or aftermarket?
-stock for the turbo

7. This sticks out from the intake manifold...plug it? The car has a MBC, LR air intake (just a cone) and A/F meter.
-Is the cycling valve still used? if so, then that's the source of a major vacuum leak. if not, meh.

8. My aftermarket A/F meter goes NUTS. Why???? - describe nuts. Mine bounces around at idle, when I'm on it, it stays pretty solid... but if at idle, it looks like Kit from knightrider

Hope that helps...
Old 01-20-2007, 02:05 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace that 02 sensor! Its cheap so you might as well if its the original. Just get the standard bosch one and splice it in. There is a way to check it involving bridgin some pins on the DME to put it into "Euro mode" I think? Euro cars had no 02 sensor sooo just do a search on that

The fan thing is an easy fix i can't really remember so just try a search on that...

Those are stock door handles - the painted ones are from a 968

That tube looks like someone I guess did a CV delete when they put in the mbc and im 99% sure that is fine just left over crap. Soemone else will say for sure...

and about that A/F guage.... is it narrow or wideband, do you know?

Oh, and WELCOME!

Beautiful car - I love cup wheels!
Old 01-20-2007, 02:10 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

it's a gorgeous car, absolutely. I love it.

another test, with the hose mentioned in #7, start the car, and put your finger over it. if it has suction, then fix it. if not, don't worry 'bout it
Old 01-20-2007, 02:12 AM
Camaro_Muncher
Pro

Welcome to Oregon! What part will you live in?
Old 01-20-2007, 02:13 AM
Ballistic-Chapman
Burning Brakes

Appreciate the quick reply!

7. -
Is the cycling valve still used? if so, then that's the source of a major vacuum leak. if not, meh
I have no idea whata cycling valve is. My car has a LR dual port wastegate and reaches full bost. Should I just plug it?

8-
- describe nuts. Mine bounces around at idle, when I'm on it, it stays pretty solid... but if at idle, it looks like Kit from knightrider
Mine is the opposite. When idle, it will give me a reading somethings. When driving it's kit from knightrider lol.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:27 AM
Ballistic-Chapman
Burning Brakes

haha, really quick responses.

Lorax - I'm sporting this one: http://www.lindseyracing.com/Merchan...Code=AUTOMETER
model 6275. If you could tell me if it is narrow or wideband, i'd appreciate it .
I will research CV delete.

Porschephile 924 - no suction

Camaro_Muncher - i'm moving to Veneta (10 miles out from Eugene). Are you close to me?
Old 01-20-2007, 02:29 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

if you have a dual port waste gate and some sort of boost controller, chances are the cycling valve has been disconnected. Basically, it's the stock boost controller.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:40 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, absolutely beautiful...and yes these cars will turn you into an attention *****!
Old 01-20-2007, 04:28 AM
Diver944
Pro

Originally Posted by Ballistic
2. My car has the R134a swap but the A/C is not blistering cold. Is this normal?
My UK car has fully working A/C and even in our cool climate it is nowhere near as efficient as modern cars. When was your gas last replaced? I change mine every two years.

3. The blower speeds 1-4 do not operate. Only 5 (fast speed) works. Easy fix?
If your fan stops working on positions 0,1,2 & 3 (but not 4): This problem is a common one, the cause being burning of the contacts on the resistor pack located near the fan motor (under the hood, near the fusebox at the front of the windscreen). The resistor pack has a long black connector and is white, held in place with a couple of cross head screws. Porsche breakers should have them but I doubt its too expensive from a Dealer :O

8. My aftermarket A/F meter goes NUTS. Why????
At idle it should strobe from left to right. When hard on the gas it should settle between one or two of the lights
Old 01-20-2007, 05:53 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I wish mine were red! Beautiful car, and the work you're doing to the exterior/interior seems to really be paying off!

-Darwin

Also I noticed you are in the LA area. When I get back into town, I'd love to meet up with some LA listers. Doesn't have to be 951s, but I know of two Silver Rose cars in the area that I'd like to see, and a few others that would be MORE than welcome to join in! Maybe even go for a cruise! I drive down the 15 all the time going to San Diego and I love it!
Old 01-20-2007, 03:28 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Couple of things:

I can see from the photo you have a narrowband A/F gauge, not wideband. It's normal for it to fluctuate up and down a lot unless you go to WOT, where it should be steady rich.

I had the same problem with the fan speeds. The resistor pack is not cheap--around $200 IIRC. Some people have had luck cleaning the contacts, but I did not and ended up replacing it. I couldn't find a cheap aftermarket source.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:34 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

check with LART he prob has somthing for you
Old 01-20-2007, 07:47 PM
Cliff Ruckstuhl
Burning Brakes

Ballistic,

Really glad you are liking the car,hope I can help with some of it.

1) I think the problem is you can't keep your foot out of it and this is killing your gas milage. Not un common for a new toy. As far the as the back fire it is a new chip just installed shorty before I sold you the car it is the 951 Max chip call Dave at LR and he might have an answer for you. Remember it does not have the cat on it and the back fire is un burned gas entering the exhaust.

2&3) I only ran the air a few times so the fan switch problem is new to me. Not sure about the coldness for me it was allo about AC-DC and the windows down.

4) Stock shifter it was never changed and not sure what you mean by the play I never had trouble with it and if I had I think you know by the condition of the car I would have had it fixed.

8) WHen you start the car and it is idleing it bounces back and forth this is normal and did this from when new. When it is cold it will stay more to the rich side to warm it up You will notice when you stomp on it, it goes and stays in the rich section and this is what you want dumping more fuel in to the system. When it is just ideling it will go into the section between rich and lean and settle down and stay there.

I bought everything from LR and when you talk to Dave refresh his memory about the car that it is the guys car who also Sails on Lake Erie and he should remember.

I am really glad you are enjoying the car it is a sweet ride. I am getting used to my 87 928 S4 and it is a different monster all togather. I am loving the V 8 and the sound is very nice.

Cliff
Old 01-21-2007, 12:01 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=I had the same problem with the fan speeds. The resistor pack is not cheap--around $200 IIRC. Some people have had luck cleaning the contacts, but I did not and ended up replacing it. I couldn't find a cheap aftermarket source.[/QUOTE]

It can be done. There are a couple of thermal contact that tend to oxidize. Just do this:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...highlight=salt

Quick Reply: 1 month update on my car.. pics + concerns.