Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Wastegate question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 06:31 PM
vanwyk4257
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wastegate question

I have a fairly stock 1987 951 that I am thinking about doing some more mods to. At this point the car has an Autothority MAF kit and aftermarket chips (I think Autothority as well), but nothing else that I know of. I have a friend that is a tial dealer and I can get a good deal on a tial wastegate through him.
What size wastegate should I be looking at that would allow me to go to a bigger turbo later on but would still work properly with what I have?
Should I consider a manual boost controller if I do the aftermarket wastegate? What about AFR monitoring?

I'm pretty new to the 951 scene, so please bear with my ignorance. My friend also builds custom stainless steel exhaust systems for 911 & 930's, so hopefully once he gets caught up on some other projects he may prototype a new 951 system using my car!
Old 01-11-2007, 07:11 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i can tell you what im doing- Tial 38mm one bar spring- manual black **** controller- afr monitored by a Zeitronix a/f meter zt2 www.zeitronix.com
Old 01-11-2007, 08:31 PM
vanwyk4257
Instructor

Thanks for the input Dan.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:42 PM
ryanm6100
Pumice King
Rennlist Member

So does this mean your friend can get ME a deal on a Tial???

Old 01-11-2007, 10:48 PM
philcav7
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ryanm6100
So does this mean your friend can get ME a deal on a Tial???

Me too, me too!!! I want one!

Tial 38 seems to be the most recommended WG for the 951, some use the larger one with the bigger turbos.

Speedforce racing makes and adapter for the tial for direct bolt on.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:26 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

so does www.europartsetc.com
Old 01-11-2007, 11:30 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to put in a plug for the Lindsey Racing dual port wastegate. I do believe the Tial is a quality piece but I liked how the Lindsey unit was a direct bolt up in place of stock. No adaptor plates and it uses the stock mounting hardware already in place.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:19 AM
vanwyk4257
Instructor

Thanks for the input guys. I could possibly check to see if I could get him to do a group buy for tial wastegates if there is any interest. I suppose we would need to clear it with admin first. I will check to see if he would be able/willing to do something like this first see if we can get permission to post a group buy thread from admin.

FWIW, I like the idea of a straight bolt-in like the lindsey dual port setup. I may just be able to get a much better price on the tial, enough possibly to make it worth the extra work to set that up.

Philcav7, thanks for the heads up on the adapter.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:53 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

An EBC is well worth the extra money. Mechanical controllers are fine unless you want to run high boost levels and push the limits. For that, they suck royally and are not up to the task of precision control required. If you're not going to "walk the line" however, you should be fine with what you're proposing.

Keep the black **** out of the cockpit. Having it within reach of the driver is a bad idea.

Tials seem to be more-or-less the industry standard for wastegates, although installation is not particularly easy on these cars unless you do your homework first.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:05 AM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone aware whether there is an adapter for the Delta DP wastegate for direct bolt on? The WG came with the car but I really don't like the creative engineering to make it fit.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:33 AM
vanwyk4257
Instructor

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
An EBC is well worth the extra money. Mechanical controllers are fine unless you want to run high boost levels and push the limits. For that, they suck royally and are not up to the task of precision control required. If you're not going to "walk the line" however, you should be fine with what you're proposing.

Keep the black **** out of the cockpit. Having it within reach of the driver is a bad idea.

Tials seem to be more-or-less the industry standard for wastegates, although installation is not particularly easy on these cars unless you do your homework first.
Yeah, I don't plan on pushing any limits with this motor right now. It seems healthy but it has 138K on the odo so the more I push the limits the sooner I will have to rebuild. I would rather take it easy on the motor for the next couple years and save up the money to rebuild the motor the right way. When I do the rebuild, then I will be shooting for more like 400RWHP.
For now, I just want to make the car a little bit quicker so I can pass my buddies 911's on the straights!
Old 01-12-2007, 11:52 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SD Porsche Fan
I'm going to put in a plug for the Lindsey Racing dual port wastegate. I do believe the Tial is a quality piece but I liked how the Lindsey unit was a direct bolt up in place of stock. No adaptor plates and it uses the stock mounting hardware already in place.
They are so well made that you need to mod anything. The only thing is they fit only a certain way. but its WELL worth it. TRUST ME. Anyone here can say the same thing. the diff is NIGHT and DAY
Old 01-12-2007, 12:01 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Anyone aware whether there is an adapter for the Delta DP wastegate for direct bolt on? The WG came with the car but I really don't like the creative engineering to make it fit
The only one I know if is Speed Force Racing (Link) just scroll to the bottom of the page. From what I understand, the Delta gate and Tial use the same adapter, but I would confirm with SFR. I believe we have the adapter set available from the parts car.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by reno808
They are so well made that you need to mod anything. The only thing is they fit only a certain way. but its WELL worth it. TRUST ME. Anyone here can say the same thing. the diff is NIGHT and DAY
What is the difference between their dual port and their clubgate? Is it just the fact that the clubgate vents and has a softer spring than the dual port?

I'm interested in the clubgate for my race car since it's approved for PCA stock classes.

Thanks,

Rick
Old 01-12-2007, 01:13 PM
vanwyk4257
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rick
What is the difference between their dual port and their clubgate? Is it just the fact that the clubgate vents and has a softer spring than the dual port?

I'm interested in the clubgate for my race car since it's approved for PCA stock classes.

Thanks,

Rick
IIRC the clubgate is a single port design. My understanding from reading up on it a bit (and I'm sure others will correct me if I'm mistaken) is that the dual port design just gives you far more flexibility in adjusting and controlling your boost levels.

Quick Reply: Wastegate question