UK 3.2 Turbo hits the road

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 04:49 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DivineE
I just needed to post here because this smiley describes my current state of anticipation! (psssst Paul has been to the dyno today... )
Oh boy, he better posts the results soon!! I know he is still breaking the engine in to, so we all need to remember that.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:56 PM
csudhoff
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what pistons are you running? what compression? some serious valve releifs there.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:04 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Just seen them, but not telling.....he will be along very shortly I am sure!!!
Old 01-11-2007, 05:21 PM
indi9xx
Advanced

Dont get too excited.... Low boost, a running in map, lots of stock bits holding the engine back.... Its the torque and where the torque happens that is the interesting part.

Also remember that this rolling road is a DynoDynamics dyno... Known as the "rollers of truth" because its consistant.... Its also the lowest reading Dyno in the UK, which is why its chosen for the UK 944 turbo league table, as its not an optimistic dyno, its a low reading and repeatable dyno.

I am sure Paul will be here soon to post some charts.... I am happy so far! I think Paul is too!
Old 01-11-2007, 05:32 PM
DivineE
Racer

I've seen it too

15psi!!!!!!!! Just imagine what this baby could do once its got a few 1000miles on it at its max potential of 32psi!! With the right inlet, exhaust and mapping
Old 01-11-2007, 05:37 PM
DivineE
Racer

...well I'm impressed anyway, you lot will probably laugh at the figures but how many modified cars do dyno's at only 15 psi?
Old 01-11-2007, 05:44 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Nothing laughable about the torque figures at 3500 rpm.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:49 PM
Diver944
Pro

Now I know why I've been having a few traction issues

The guys at Weltmeister spent a while dialling in my Greddy boost controller to the target 16psi that we thought would see safe AFR's with this setup, then they did a few power runs that yielded these results:

Name:  Dyno348.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  45.8 KB

348bhp and 450 ftlbs of torque But on one of the runs they detected a bit of detonation due to the pretty standard ignition advance. AFRs were still at a very safe 11:5.1 to 12:1 range. So for safetys sake they dialled it down to 15 psi and obtained the following graph:

Name:  Dyno337.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  45.7 KB

337bhp and 420ftlbs of torque. This is the level I will run at for the time being but I'm now so excited at the potential that is in this engine once we pay attention to the breathing. I never dreamed we would be over 400ftlb at this early stage of development (and it makes that figure before 3500rpm). I'm so looking forward to getting her out on track and getting used to the power and low down grunt with some proper sticky tyres
Old 01-11-2007, 05:59 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

HAHAHA, if it had a bit more around 2500rpm I'd SWEAR that was a stock LS1 graph.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:01 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Why did they do the pulls in 3rd gear and not 4th?
Old 01-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

That's an insane amount of tq for that boost level

Yes I can imagine you were experiencing some knock in the midrange. 2.5l timing is way too retarded above 5000 rpm for your engine, but at the same time too advanced in the low range.

Long time plans should at least include a proper camshaft besides engine management to flat out that tq curve a bit. Personally I'd like to see a short runner intake as well. Those things together would really flatten out the tq curve and the result would probably be one of the nicest 951-engines ever.

Sweet!
Old 01-11-2007, 06:37 PM
indi9xx
Advanced

"Why did they do the pulls in 3rd gear and not 4th?"

The dyno runs are in 3rd gear because thats what DynoDynamics recommend... possibly to cut down damage that can occure if you get a blow out on the dyno, it also puts the engine under stress for a shorter duration.

They also say its because inertia dyno's are innacurate and need 4th gear runs... But thats from a company who do not sell an inertia dyno... so you would expect them to say that.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:43 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Duke
That's an insane amount of tq for that boost level

Yes I can imagine you were experiencing some knock in the midrange. 2.5l timing is way too retarded above 5000 rpm for your engine, but at the same time too advanced in the low range.

Long time plans should at least include a proper camshaft besides engine management to flat out that tq curve a bit. Personally I'd like to see a short runner intake as well. Those things together would really flatten out the tq curve and the result would probably be one of the nicest 951-engines ever.

Sweet!
Agreed. Some mods like that to reduce the torque drop on the top-end would also result in a nice increase in hp as well, not to mention it would make for an overall faster car. While a small amount of peak tq would probably be sacrificed, a 3.2l should be generating more than enough to have some to spare! Regardless, that's some insane torque from a 4 cylinder! Excellent job Paul and keep up the good work.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:59 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by indi9xx
"Why did they do the pulls in 3rd gear and not 4th?"

The dyno runs are in 3rd gear because thats what DynoDynamics recommend... possibly to cut down damage that can occure if you get a blow out on the dyno, it also puts the engine under stress for a shorter duration.

They also say its because inertia dyno's are innacurate and need 4th gear runs... But thats from a company who do not sell an inertia dyno... so you would expect them to say that.
The reason you want to dyno in 4th gear on a 951 is it is the closest to a 1:1 ratio (technically our 4th is a 1.03 ratio), which will give more accurate dyno results. Of course the exact gear necessary will differ for other cars depending on their gear ratios. By dynoing with a lower gear, the motor is not under as much load and will produce lower power numbers. The bigger the turbo, the more skewed the results will become as larger turbos need all the help/loading they can get to spool! That's pretty much an industry standard or common method for dynoing regardless of whether it is an inertia or variable load dyno like a Mustang. The only time I ever really see anyone do anything different is if it's a variable load dyno and they are running it at full load through most of the gears (to fine tune a track car for example, gear based boost control, etc), or maybe if it was an n/a car.

Damn, so those 2 runs were really in 3rd gear?! Run it in fourth and you might be pleasantly surprised.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:07 PM
indi9xx
Advanced

Agreed...

My prediction is that with 18 to 20 psi of boost and a dedicated mapping, Paul's car is going to make a leap in torque and BHP.

As the car is suffering from problems laying down that torque already, some of the gained torque could be sacraficed in exchange for some more top end power to equalise the balance of torque and bhp.

If this was my car I would probably be busy planning a MAF, custom intake manifold, 3" or 4" exhaust, custom cam and possibly a prologic traction control system...

But then again thats in my fantasy 944 turbo project which is still in my head where money is no object!

In the real world, Paul needs to recover from the cost of this project and not get divorced by being careful how much he spends...... Any chance of a loan of a MAF and piggy back Mr Vitesse??? It would give a good "before and after" example of the benefits it has over an AFM for your marketing! (its worth a try I guess!)

Quick Reply: UK 3.2 Turbo hits the road