Engine pictures

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 05:00 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kevincnc
It has 31K now, but it had 24K when I got it. It didn't look like that when I got it though, here's how it happened-

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/264290-my-engine-bay-restoration-hose-replacement-tune-up-etc-with-pictures.html

Sorry for the hijack Bryan!
OMG, you are a restoration God, holy Sh&*^^!!!!

Sorry, back to the program people...

Old 11-15-2006, 05:03 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
kevincnc: Jesus, that engine looks like it was never touched? It looks spotless and brand new. How many miles are on the car Kevin? Sorry for interjecting, but that thing is incredible, reminds me of my old car that had 27K on it.

I looks better in real life than in pictures if you can believe that.

Old 11-15-2006, 05:04 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, but I think I'd rather be an engine building/tuning god like many of you guys.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:05 PM
M758
Race Director

Hey I drove your car on a track. Plenty of power!

BTW.... there are pleny of rennlisters with big hp. I have NEVER seen picures of an engine like your on rennlist! Since I like stock I give you my vote as the best engine compartment. I imagine this is what it would have been like to see the car in dealership floor back in 89.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:12 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by M758
Hey I drove your car on a track. Plenty of power!
Yes I know, and I can't understand how you have avoided the modification disease with your turbo. Better self-restraint than most of us I guess. But being able to drive an N/A fast enough to scare the hell out of me on the track probably has something to do with it, you don't need more power!
Old 11-15-2006, 05:48 PM
M758
Race Director

Well a race car is the ideal antidote to a power hungry street car.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:21 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So what do you do when you have a really powerul street car and it's not enough power anymore?
Old 11-15-2006, 07:15 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by kevincnc
Thanks. Actually that's a genuine Porsche oil filter that I got on ebay. I wasn't sure if they were originally red or not back in '89. Are you sure they weren't?
See the other comments where I have been schooled...

Here's a picture that sort of shows the banjo-bolt line. Originally it had the crimp-on hose clamps that you can't get anymore on both ends, so I got a couple regular of hose clamps off of another 944 and had them plated along with all the rest. If you want a better picture I can take one tonight.
Those clamps were made by Oetiker. I actually have an Oetiker set with the different diameter clamps and the installation tool. Looks like I may be in luck. I'll let you know if my repair looks factory or not. If so I can send you a clamp for free.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:32 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SeaCay
Those clamps were made by Oetiker. I actually have an Oetiker set with the different diameter clamps and the installation tool. Looks like I may be in luck. I'll let you know if my repair looks factory or not. If so I can send you a clamp for free.
Hmm, yes please do let me know, there are others that I had to cut off also. Since mine is not 100% stock I'll probably just leave the hose clamps though. Good luck!
Old 11-16-2006, 10:09 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951
So what do you do when you have a really powerul street car and it's not enough power anymore?
Race... Really a 150 hp good handling race car is more excitment that just about anything on the street. I know a fried who had a 400 rwhp 951. Nice car, but he had more fun in his 150 hp 944 race car. Eventually sold the 951. It is hard to describe, but racing a car that corner really well is realy cool experience. Taking a 45 mph turn at 90 mph side by side with another car and staying on the track surface is an exeperience. Makes going fast in straight line seem down right easy. I instructed a student in 996 TT. Thing had like 550+ hp. When he stepped on it the car had time warp acceleration. Nice, but after 20 min of that it gets sort of ho-hum. Cornering the limit is always interesting.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:47 PM
M758
Race Director

My NA 134.2 rwhp of race motor!

Intestingly the cam tower was painted with about 5-6 very thick coats of regular spray can red. No special high temp paint. I did this Jan of 2003 and it looks the same even now. 50+ races later
Old 11-16-2006, 01:04 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by M758
I instructed a student in 996 TT. Thing had like 550+ hp. When he stepped on it the car had time warp acceleration. Nice, but after 20 min of that it gets sort of ho-hum. Cornering the limit is always interesting.
Wow, it got ho-hum after 20 min, really? Humm. Did you guys have anybody, or a few cars, that were able to keep up with him and had some competitive spirit? I could totally understand that it got boring after a while if you don't have someone to dice it out with. I did years ago the old spec racing in Formula Fords and Saab Pro (Skip Barber Series), and it was a blast, being that close and equal in every sense. But I'd much rather dice it out with a bunch of cars with 500 BHP+. I don't think I'd get tired of dicing it out with that level BHP next to me. Just my 2 cents.

P.S. I'm amazed the red held up that long without having hi temp heat spray paint? That's great! I would have used the Krylon Hi-Temp Heat series, but hey, if it work, it worked. And it looks good!
Old 11-16-2006, 01:14 PM
M758
Race Director

Paint held up better on the engine that on the outside of the car. My first paint job on the was with same spary cans. Of course my latest paint job actually looks pretty good (for a race car of course) and was done with automotive paint abliet not the really expensive stuff.

The reason it got boring was that my student was the classic fast in a straight line, but slow in the corners. I can't fault him for that as it was his first track day, but for me straight line speed rather uninteresting. As for lap speed no car on the track could take us in straight line, but our corner speeds were like a pace lap for me. Like I said not his fault by any means as he was a good student, was safe and learned alot.

In general I'd notice the HP the first couple times, but after a while the straight away becomes a time to relax, drink some water and prepare for the next turn. A high hp car just gets you to the corner sooner, but the interesting part is always turn in. How much speed can you maintain and still keep the car on the road and get good exit from the corner? That is the interesting part. Heck when racing straight away speed is even less apparent. You concentrate on the car you are racing and forget about how fast you are going.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:15 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well there is also something to be said about beating cars w/ more BHP and then telling them your car is not only an n/a, but almost stock as well! That being said- i'll see how the turbo does on the track and then we'll be upgrading and making it more pretty at that time...
Old 11-16-2006, 01:21 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by xsboost90
beating cars w/ more BHP and then telling them your car is not only an n/a, but almost stock as well!
Well the motor is stock. So is the body, the transmission and the wheels. Brakes are stock sized too.

Yeah... i guess the car is "stock" NA

I just took out a few things from the inside and did the spring/sway bar thing.

Quick Reply: Engine pictures