Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

A night out with some friends

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agreed...check out the other thread. Lart's gettin' a new barbie

Okay quick so we can have the last word. C'OMMON JOHNNY D!

Old 11-07-2006, 11:14 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by guns951
agreed...check out the other thread. Lart's gettin' a new barbie

Okay quick so we can have the last word. C'OMMON JOHNNY D!

Old 11-07-2006, 11:22 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

here i went to the Corvette forum and ****** a few pictures of the members there, very nice crowd indeed, well, the first one is a Z06 owner in a C5 simulator, the 2nd pict , 4 happy corvetteforums members in a wild party.
Attached Images   
Old 11-07-2006, 11:26 PM
Guns951
Race Car

to quote myself....'all is lost....all is lost.' **shake head eats cyanide cap**
Old 11-07-2006, 11:27 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by lart951
here i went to the Corvette forum and ****** a few pictures of the members there, very nice crowd indeed, well, the first one is a Z06 owner in a C5 simulator, the 2nd pict , 4 happy corvetteforums members in a wild party.
Your buddy is gonna hate you now!
Old 11-08-2006, 12:53 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I leave for a day and I have four pages to catch up on. This did go bad. Ok, I'll just say bye now as I think it's gonna blow off of the board. Good thread anyway John.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:01 AM
Guns951
Race Car

I STILL DON'T GET WHAT THE PIC IN THE WOODS WAS ABOUT! AND HOW BUTT CREAM/PASTE GOT BROUGHT INTO IT! Someone please explain.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Default So I went over to the Vette forums and found this...

If the brakes are so superdee-duper on the Vette, then why are so many of the performance oriented folks over on Corvette forum looking to upgrade their brakes?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For example, quotes from:
A Stoptech conversion

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
Well, I am not going to wait around while GM or the brake pad companies figure out what to do with these brakes.

We put a set of StopTech brakes on the front of the car with 6 piston calipers (we won 2 World Challenge races with these) on 14" rotors.
Originally Posted by KNanthrup
Very cool. Just out of curiousity... are the stock Z06 brakes really a weak point in its performance and a threat to the car on the track, or is this just a more 'hardcore' upgrade?

I ask both because of the tone of your post and because I remember hearing a lot from the P-car GT3 guys saying the C5 Z06's were a very close rival except their brakes being inferior. Wasn't sure if the C6 Z06 changed this at all..
I would never expect the stock caliper to be good enough for World Challenge racing, but we WON 2 races with the Stoptechs.

Unfortunately the new Z06 calipers look nice but they have issues that will manifest themselves in a way that will see most every track day person buying new calipers.
Originally Posted by SteveL2
That said, I was with John Page (21st Century Muscle Cars) a few weeks ago at the track, and he too knows how to race. After 2 sessions his new Z06 pads were toast. He was driving very fast but not at his hardest, and they still didn't even last the day. This is a far cry from the Z06-being-an-out-of-the-box race car. For the serious/fast racer, it looks like it's either going to require upgrades or John's car was just a fluke. I'm betting on the former.
Originally Posted by quick04Z06
Also, it is inexcusable that GM has not solved all brake problems on this car. GM should have street and track pads available from the dealers and frankly should have used an off the shelf package, like Brembo or Stop Tech, rather than reinventing the wheel with this multiple pad caliper system. Pray that they'll see the light for 07 and slap a Brembo package on the car stock so we can have access to lots of pad choices and other parts, as well.
Ok let me clarify something about the brakes.

First: I heard about the destroyed pads from just one track day by John Page.

Then: I heard that there are NO pads or rotors available even in stock form.

Then: I just knew that I would not be satisfied with stock pads even if they did work.

Then: I also noticed that the [stock] rotors do NOT have correct directional cooling vanes.

Then: I looked at my payment book and Insurance cost.

Then: I got the Stoptechs out.

That's all folks

I love the Z06 enough to not crash it because of brake problems.

I would rather crash it becuase of a "Loose nut Behind the wheel"...ME.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another thread where they complain that the stock Vette pads last only one track DAY.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From this thread about getting a car prepped for track use:

Originally Posted by jlvlnk66
I might add that as you progress to higher speeds (especially at the faster tracks), at some point you will not have enough brakes. The issue will not be the stopping power of the stock calipers and race pads, it'll be keeping the stock calipers and rotors cool enough. First step would be to get some spindle ducts to better cool the stock rotors and the next alternative would be to go to a set of big brake front calipers and 2-piece rotors (big $$).
Originally Posted by forhamilton
If I had it to do all over again (and I did it absolutely backwards), I would do it like this:

1. Brake upgrade - Stoptechs at 4 wheels, spindle ducts, race pads, SRF and SS brake lines. At a minimum fronts, race pads, SS brake lines and Motul.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another thread discussing setting up a C6 Z06 for the track.

Originally Posted by DJWorm
The C6 Z06 will wear the padlets quicker, especially the fronts. The padlets are in fact thinner and do not have adequate compound thickness for track use and due the HP you will get faster straight trap speeds and thus NEED more braking. The C6 Z06 brakes while an incremental improvement, did not match the HP improvement of the LS7. In adition the PBR C6 Z06 brakes introduced additional peculiarities and problems and are not worth upgrading for track use.

My recommendation is to:
1. Replace the C6 Z06 brakes with either Stop Tech or HardBar's setup
2. Have the car corner weighed & weighted and aligned; paying particular attention to the Cross Corner % Difference setting.
3. Use wider front tires with more grip on the front to reduce understeer, bringing the car to a more neutral balance.
4. Don't mess with the brake proportioning.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread is about recall 06092 - states that there are no wear indicators on the Z06 pads.

Funny comment:
Originally Posted by forhamilton
They should have sent a notification that they melt on the track.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The quotes above are from the Vette forum, and it seems that some of the folks there also track their cars. One of the folks has done World Challenge racing as well.

Car magazines will rave about how good the Vette is - but keep in mind, they get lots of $$ from Chevrolet in advertising money. Don't bite the hand the feeds you.

Observation: based on the comments of the track guys over on the Vette forum, it sound to me that the brakes on the C6 Z06 Vette's aren't up to the task for track work. So I stand by my original statement that the Vette - though a terrific sports car, needs a better braking system.

Warmest regards to all, especially C. Beau,
-Zoltan.

Last edited by Z-man; 11-08-2006 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:36 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

And Z-Man strikes again! It appears you were on a small mission here? Regardless, that was some good research pal, so thanks for sharing that with everyone. But remember, not all of us aspire to be a Pro race car driver or a track God like you!

And "personally", I wouldn't want a Z06 for a track car, for I love my 951. When my car is done, I think it would do "ok" on the track, don't you think? But better yet, I'd rather get track car, like a GT-3 Cup, and track that baby all day long!

Old 11-08-2006, 12:44 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
Todd: As Lart said, "so what's the displacement of the super advance 7L ls7 push rod in cc's?"

Ahhh 7 liters???
Old 11-08-2006, 01:28 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by toddk911
Ahhh 7 liters???
You are such a posting ***** Todd! And look at how many posts I have now? You do reazlize I am gonna follow in your steps. Meaning? When I hit 2000 I am going to celebrate and start a thread, just like you.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Z-man
Race Director

One more thing...

Reading some of the Vette posts where they discuss the performance differences between a 911 GT3 and the Z06, the following dialogue often comes up:

Person A: The 911GT3 is a faster can than the C6 Z06.

Person B: The Vette is cheaper.

Chorus: YEAH! The Vette Rules!!

So their big defense on why the 911 outperforms the Vette is ...... drum roll..... the Vette is cheaper. Ok, so what???

-Z-man.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:02 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default My Choice....

That's a tough one you presented there Z, let me think. Hummm, ok I got it. If it was a track car, I think I'd go with this one, bar none.

http://www.lufteknic.com/sebring05.html

And it is for sale too.

http://www.pca.org/mart/classifieds....uery=retrieval
Old 11-08-2006, 03:06 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

omg! the brakes on the zo6 are ****ing awesome. Do i really need to go get the data jesus christ.

Let this thread die.

die thread die!

<why does this always happen to me
Old 11-08-2006, 03:30 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
die thread die!

why does this always happen to me
When I joined and my threads got all twisted, remember me venting J? Remember? And you said something like, "don't worry let it go, you'll grow some tough skin to it" Something to that affect. So go with the flow pal. Hey if nothing else, it keeps you in the lime-light and helps you with your number of posts? Maybe you can catch Todd, and be a super posting *****?

And as you read, I do appreciate a TT Vette for the cost to value basis. Although for me, I'd still take a GT-3 over a Vette, street or track. Then again, I'm pro-porsche and also don't like american cars, and yes I've owned a few. One that Todd even heard of, and back in 1985 it was Da Bomb for it's price point. I had a limited edition 1985 Mustang SVO. I could kill 5.0L Mustangs all day long, let alone on a track. It was a pioneering car being that it was a 4 banger with a turbo, something Ford never really did for the street. And I did race it on the street for a while too, sorry Z-Man I was 17!

Back to the program?

Quick Reply: A night out with some friends