Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

AOS R&R, anyone have a "how to?"

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 11:17 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default AOS R&R, anyone have a "how to?"

I'm hoping to have the turbo out tomorrow. I figure while I'm in there, I may as well replace the AOS seals. I hear a lot about them failing and causing oil to get sucked through the system. I do have oil in my j-boot, hard pipes, intercooler, etc. so I figured it would be a good idea to change the AOS seals.

Anyway, can anyone give me a brief "how to?"

A search resulted in lots of talk about replacing the seals, but nothing about how to go about it. Didn't see anything in Clarks-Garage either.

Thanks!!!
Old 09-15-2006, 11:19 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,237 Likes on 607 Posts

It's about as easy as popping the top on a beer. Nothing to it. I would drill the top hole bigger while you are there
Old 09-16-2006, 12:36 AM
skene
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm doing this right now actually! Well...not NOW since I'm heading to bed, but I've got it 2/3rds out.

I basically pulled off the intake and just about everything under it (mostly to clean the 20 years of crap off it) There are 3 bolts that hold it on, two on the top and one on the bottom that's a pain to get to

This thread had a good picture of the top of it and one of the bolts. The last post mentions a way to get at the bottom one.

So far its' been pretty easy, but i've not gotten the hard one out yet.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:13 AM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

Its really easy you undo the top 2 bolts and the bottom one and it pops out(after the 2 lines are disconnected from it). Pull the old O rings off and put the new ones on. You have to remove the heatshield near the back of the oil pan next to the downpipe to get the bottom bolt. You can do it without removing the heatshield but that involves cutting the heatshield which I have done and wrapped the AOS with thermotec blanket.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:24 AM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eclou
It's about as easy as popping the top on a beer. Nothing to it. I would drill the top hole bigger while you are there
There has been some threads on it and I think they said not to make it bigger if you are routing it back into the MAF pipe cause it will draw too much vacuum on it and suck oil out. BTW John (fast951) and special tool always say that your should route it back into the MAF pipe
Old 09-16-2006, 11:22 AM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am trying to do this now, while I am doing the clutch. Do you HAVE to take the turbo off? I don't see anyway to get to the bottom bolt w/o doing this.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:34 AM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by TRP951
There has been some threads on it and I think they said not to make it bigger if you are routing it back into the MAF pipe cause it will draw too much vacuum on it and suck oil out. BTW John (fast951) and special tool always say that your should route it back into the MAF pipe
Absolutely!!! Nothing better than crankase vacuum-Im probably going to go ahead and dry my sump. I'd like to put about 30 inches of mercury in there, if I could.....

And yeah its pretty easy to change those seals.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:56 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

So, how would you reroute it to the maf then? I am doing this in a couple of months as well and I am using Vitesse MAF kit.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:02 PM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

I did not do that this time, but I bet that it the AOS O-rings needed to be changed. I have found a bit of oil in my Hard pipes and J-boot too! I figured it was normal blow by!
Old 09-16-2006, 01:11 PM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by SchnellerUmsetzer
I did not do that this time, but I bet that it the AOS O-rings needed to be changed. I have found a bit of oil in my Hard pipes and J-boot too! I figured it was normal blow by!
You are probably right.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:21 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Pulled the turbo and AOS this morning. Referring to the pic below, the red o-rings are the only two I see. Are those definitely the only ones needing replacement?

Where's the best place to get these seals, as well as the seals and o-rings necessary to reinstall the turbo? Are there any kits out there, or do I order each seal/o-ring separately?

Thanks for the help guys! I couldn't do this stuff w/out Rennlist.
Attached Images  
Old 09-16-2006, 03:49 PM
dougoh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shiners780
Pulled the turbo and AOS this morning. Referring to the pic below, the red o-rings are the only two I see. Are those definitely the only ones needing replacement?

Where's the best place to get these seals, as well as the seals and o-rings necessary to reinstall the turbo? Are there any kits out there, or do I order each seal/o-ring separately?

Thanks for the help guys! I couldn't do this stuff w/out Rennlist.

i bought mine through paragon products and yes they are the two
Old 09-16-2006, 05:06 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike1982
So, how would you reroute it to the maf then? I am doing this in a couple of months as well and I am using Vitesse MAF kit.
There should be a port rigth after your maf sensor on the pipe john sent you that points towards your passenger side your route it before the turbo.

As for the seals those 2 are the only ones needed to do. There is supposedly one in the top but i tried and couldnt figure out how to open the top and would rather not break it trying
Old 09-16-2006, 05:22 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

IMHO youre better off replacing the whole unit while youre in there. The plastic gets old and cracks on the lid. Theres an ORing under the lid (not available from Porsche) that decays. As soon as you try to remove the lid to replace that ORing to prevent vacuum leaks, the lid cracks.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:38 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

How important is it to replace that inside o-ring?

To get the lid off, does it just unscrew? It doesn't seem to want to twist off. Or do you have to pry it up and off?

The unit is in great shape, as far as I can tell. I've cleaned it up and there are no visible cracks. I would rather not buy a new one if I don't have to, but if that inside o-ring is critical (and if I can't get to it without damaging the AOS) I will.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: AOS R&R, anyone have a "how to?"