Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Could someone with a clean '89 951 check something for me?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 10:22 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The pic is from a recent rebuild Ski just completed, but my parts are like that
Old 06-15-2006, 10:30 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kevin, you have one heat shield missing, that goes between the upper balance shaft housing and oil supply/turbo downpip & hotside, or is you'res removed when that picture was taken?

It is silver as well, not Zinc plated.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:51 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
Kevin, you have one heat shield missing, that goes between the upper balance shaft housing and oil supply/turbo downpip & hotside, or is you'res removed when that picture was taken?

It is silver as well, not Zinc plated.
The one that can be seen in this picture? Mine looked the same as all of the brackets. Are you sure yours (or others) is/are the same as the brake booster shield?

CLR stripped the plating on everything including the small shield. I have the big one soaking now on a corner to see what it looks like.
Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2006, 11:20 PM
Turbo Fanatic
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche used the zinc dichromate (some say cadmium) plating on some of the early cars, like my 87 which I am in the process of restoring now.

For some reason they changed 88-89 to what appears to be silver zinc plating.
I have a friend with an 89 and his brake shield looks exaclty like yours.

Good luck with the restoration.
Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2006, 11:34 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

To set things straight zinc plating is gray not yellow and is nothing more than electrostatically applied zinc rather than larger grained hot-dipped galvanizing. The old school cadmium and cad-zinc plating is yellow, the newer replacemnent zinc dichromate plating is yellow and the yellow part is a dye with no real corrosion protective qualities like the cadmium. The electostatic zinc is fine by itself but isn't as good as cadmium or hot-dipped. Clear as mud right?
Old 06-16-2006, 03:20 AM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

AHHH- now we're getting somewhere! Thanks for the PM and picture Turbo Fanatic.

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
To set things straight zinc plating is gray not yellow and is nothing more than electrostatically applied zinc rather than larger grained hot-dipped galvanizing. The old school cadmium and cad-zinc plating is yellow, the newer replacemnent zinc dichromate plating is yellow and the yellow part is a dye with no real corrosion protective qualities like the cadmium. The electostatic zinc is fine by itself but isn't as good as cadmium or hot-dipped. Clear as mud right?
Murky water now, but better than mud. I'm pretty sure I asked the plating shop if they did yellow zinc plating, not zinc chromate or dichromate. I hated Chemistry for multiple semesters, and don't like to pronounce words ending in "ate" or "ide"..

I think I recall from searching that the cad and cad-zinc are getting phased out for safety reasons. Does anyone still do cad or hot-dipped anymore?

The guy I talked to at the plating shop did say that at least one of the dipping processes was pretty hot. I'll call tomorrow to clarify the types of plating they do.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:44 AM
DHC8FO
Racer

One thing- be careful about what you strip. The metals you are removing are very nasty zinc, chrome, cadinum. These really need to be disposed of correctly. It's much easier to have a plating company strip and replate your parts. It will cost a few dollars extra, but they are set up to do it, and there's no need to add your personal residence to the superfund site list.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:11 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Little OT,
But where does that HS go that is in the bottom center (just to the right of the down pipe) of David's pic? I have it sitting here, but don't remember where it goes!
Old 06-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Turbo Fanatic
Advanced

Kevin,

don't worry yellow zinc is the same as zinc dichromate.

Finding cadmium is getting tough these days because the EPA is making it difficult for platers who use it. They are even making tough for the zinc platers.
While it will not have the ultimate corrosion protection and cadmium,
zinc will do fine and is what is used in most restorations. Consider yourself lucky to find a local plater that does zinc rack plating in small runs. Outfits like Burbank plating only do barrel plating which won't work for heat shields and larger items. Ones that handle rack plating want to do large productions!
Old 06-16-2006, 12:58 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DHC8FO
One thing- be careful about what you strip. The metals you are removing are very nasty zinc, chrome, cadinum. These really need to be disposed of correctly. It's much easier to have a plating company strip and replate your parts. It will cost a few dollars extra, but they are set up to do it, and there's no need to add your personal residence to the superfund site list.
Good point, I was wondering where that second head growing out of my shoulder came from I'll make sure the used CLR goes to the hazardous waste disposal at the land fill. The plater told me that the base color would affect the finish, so I wanted to get everything as uniform looking as possible before getting it plated. I know they do some stripping to prep the parts, but wasn't sure if they would get them clean enough.

Chris- That HS goes under the exhaust manifold.

James- I called a ton of platers in Phoenix before I found one that would do it. Most told me that NOBODY does Cad anymore, and they didn't know anyone who did yellow Zinc. I was lucky- the place that that does it is right down the street.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:03 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cpt_koolbeenz
Little OT,
But where does that HS go that is in the bottom center (just to the right of the down pipe) of David's pic? I have it sitting here, but don't remember where it goes!
Under the headers and between the oilfilter
Old 06-17-2006, 04:46 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

I have a great plater, near by here, that did a great job on my parts. He does, both rack and barrel plating and did a awsome job on my stuff. I was amayzed how it came out
I did work my *** off on every nut, bolt, washer, bracket and heat shield etc.. All were abrasive wheeled, then polished, and then given to the plater. He is located in Mountain View, Ca. The company is 4 D Metal Finishing.
He was cheaper then most, and was very trust worthy. No affiliation

Cad plating is still avail, in places like Texas, but the color will not look nearly as nice or stock as the yellow chromate zinc. The general rule, from what I understand is, that the darker the plating the better the resistance to corrosion. ( mind you, this is for Electroplating, not Hot Dipped which is the very best protection ) So i.e. isliver yellow olive drab then black oxide..... would be from worst to best

Here is a shot of what I did last summer. Sadly, it's still in the boxes and I still have another round to go I am thinking I should have it all wrapped up by the next millennium
the first is Plated Yellow chromate the second is the Jet Hot
Regards
Ed
Attached Images   
Old 06-17-2006, 05:10 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

WOW Eddie, you ARE crazy...
Old 06-17-2006, 12:19 PM
Turbo Fanatic
Advanced

Eddie you are the man!

Did your plater bake the critical stuff like the fuel rail to reduce/prevent hydrogen embrittlement? If you don't mind PM me his contact infor and what he charged you.

thanks,
James
Old 06-17-2006, 12:43 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
I have a great plater, near by here, that did a great job on my parts. He does, both rack and barrel plating and did a awsome job on my stuff. I was amayzed how it came out
I did work my *** off on every nut, bolt, washer, bracket and heat shield etc.. All were abrasive wheeled, then polished, and then given to the plater. He is located in Mountain View, Ca. The company is 4 D Metal Finishing.
He was cheaper then most, and was very trust worthy. No affiliation

Cad plating is still avail, in places like Texas, but the color will not look nearly as nice or stock as the yellow chromate zinc. The general rule, from what I understand is, that the darker the plating the better the resistance to corrosion. ( mind you, this is for Electroplating, not Hot Dipped which is the very best protection ) So i.e. isliver yellow olive drab then black oxide..... would be from worst to best

Here is a shot of what I did last summer. Sadly, it's still in the boxes and I still have another round to go I am thinking I should have it all wrapped up by the next millennium
the first is Plated Yellow chromate the second is the Jet Hot
Regards
Ed

So Ed - What museum has offered you space to display your Silber Rosa timepiece? You aren't really going to drive it are you? So when is the launch date? JK - Those parts look great. Now when you go on runs you'll need the clear plexiglass hood so we can all oggle your fine work

Quick Reply: Could someone with a clean '89 951 check something for me?