Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

was Turbo leak...Now stumbling idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006 | 06:09 PM
dzombek
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default was Turbo leak...Now stumbling idle

Well, I was able to get the top turbo oil seal replaced(easy), and get the intake and hoses, fuel rail, and other bits back together...

When I though I was done, it turns out that the car won't idle without actnig like it wants to die. When I give it throttle the idle seems to level a bit but as soon as I let up on the throttle lever the idle starts stumbling again.

I have checked the vac lines and I know I have fuel, I wonder if it is related to the injectors... I replaced the o-rings and pintle caps and all went to gether properly(so I think). I didn't see any damage to the nozzles.

I looked around the archives and found some bits of info which I am going to try.

Looking for other ideas that I might not have read...

Later,
Z
Old 04-30-2006 | 06:35 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me. You probably didnt connect something, or broke a hose. I would recomend replacing all vacuum related hoses and such if you havent done so, everyone should do that if they haven't at this point.
Have you checked to make sure you plugged in your afm and your tps?
Old 04-30-2006 | 06:35 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Check your intake manifold gaskets. One may have slid or not sealed. Also did you make sure you put them on properly, one has to go opposite the others. Check for other vacume leaks.
Old 04-30-2006 | 07:49 PM
dzombek
Racer

I did notice that the #1 gasket was upside down when I put it in and that was the only way that the injector would pass through. So I beleive, but will double check, that the intake gaskets are seated properly.

Follow me on this thought. I pulled the plugs and noticed that they looked sooty and black but not wet. The black film came off with carb cleaner, so they didn't look like they do when the mixture is right. So I think this is telling me that the the car is running rich, too much fuel. And that would gel with your sugesstions on the vac leak.

Prior to thinking about the above info, my thoughts were that I could unplug each injector connection (one at a time) and turn over the car, and if there was no change with that injector unplugged then I could reason that it might be an injector (repeat 3 more times)

Make sense?

But if the car is running rich and it is stumbling it follows the previous thought, a vac leak exists. Correct?

Z
Old 04-30-2006 | 08:17 PM
dzombek
Racer

Alright, talk about a "HUGE" vac leak. As I am in there looking around I decided, well he!!, it's time to take off the pipes and dig into the hoses.

Guess what I find as soon as I take off the hard pipe going into the throttle body. I find that I didn't connect the 3/4 inch hose to the intake cowl going to the turbo inlet.... It was laying beneth the port.

Once I connected that that little turd, the car turned over and ran smoothly..

Man, once you think you looked any everything, there is another hose that pokes you in the eye. These vac hoses are relentless!!!!

Thanks for the advice!!

Z
Old 04-30-2006 | 08:20 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

good to hear porblem solved, witrh with little effort. (aside from the agony) How often do you have this thing on the track?
Old 04-30-2006 | 08:25 PM
dzombek
Racer

It goes to the track about 2-3 times per year.
Old 04-30-2006 | 08:25 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

glad to here.
Old 04-30-2006 | 08:52 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by David P. Zombek

It goes to the track about 2-3 times per year.
does it come back without breaking? I'm hoping to get some quality track time in the P-car instead of Honda soon.
Old 04-30-2006 | 10:03 PM
dzombek
Racer

Oh, yeah it always comes back without problems. The motor in this car had rings, wide fire gasket and a larger turbo installed prior to me buying the car(just to name a few). The leak was probably due to the bolts not being tight.

So far nothing has happened at the track where the car "broke". I have spun it before, but that was me who broke it then

Z
Old 05-01-2006 | 07:58 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Eyal,

If you take care of your car and perform preventive maintenance on items that frequently break at the track, you will be fine. I've tracked my car for 8 years (about 8-9 weekends per year) and have only missed two run sessions due to mechanical problems (diagnosing a failing alternator). The only spare part I carry (besides consummables like brake pads and rotors) is a DME relay.

Quick Reply: was Turbo leak...Now stumbling idle