Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

awesome use of a v8 in a 944 (dont hate me)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 11:18 AM
JPR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you get the right LS1 (the one used on the F-body GM's particularly 00 to 02 since it has all the updates and the LS6 intake plenum) all of the accessories (A/C, pwr steering alternator) will work. In my conversion, we were able to keep all the stock sensors so that all the gauges still work.

The engine bare, is nothing to look at. but with any of the aftermarket carbon fiber covers in different covers, it can be made to look very nice.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:25 AM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by D944tech
I think it would be a great idea to create a 944 V8 forum on rennlist, I personally don't like porschehybrids. The host, Doug Sogolow, is such an ***$#le! I would rather see a rennlist sponsored eight cylinders forum.
Your stepping in hot water there. Even though its a good idea, the reason the porschehybrid guys seem like dicks is because alot of people here attacked them first. In their defense, they didnt start it, but they wont let it go either. If a seperate forum was created here it would need constant moderator supervision or things would get nasty. That is unless, and overwhelming amount of people continue to start accepting the v-8 idea. Over the few years ive been on this site v-8 conversions have gone from absoltue hatered from everyone to almost the opposite, or so it seems.

Originally Posted by Tony
BTW, drove the car today. It's one of the fastest Porsches I've driven. Not a modifed 996TT, but a hell of a lot faster than any of the 951's I've owned. The car is fast enough at 100mph to make me not scared... but nervous. The things pulls HARD.

TonyG
SOUND CLIP, SOUND CLIP!!!! with video too if possible. Im curious what the v-8 sound is like when looking at a 944. For some reason i just cant put the two together for a good image of what it looks/sounds like.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:52 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ztnedman1

>>>SOUND CLIP, SOUND CLIP!!!! with video too if possible. Im curious what the v-8 sound is like when looking at a 944. For some reason i just cant put the two together for a good image of what it looks/sounds like.<<<

Don't worry. I'm going to post some large video clips of the car being driven at Willow Springs - Street of Willow, as well as some in-car video, tomorrow!

TonyG
Old 04-18-2006, 12:18 PM
D944tech
Banned

Originally Posted by ztnedman1
Your stepping in hot water there. Even though its a good idea, the reason the porschehybrid guys seem like dicks is because alot of people here attacked them first. In their defense, they didnt start it, but they wont let it go either. If a seperate forum was created here it would need constant moderator supervision or things would get nasty. That is unless, and overwhelming amount of people continue to start accepting the v-8 idea. Over the few years ive been on this site v-8 conversions have gone from absoltue hatered from everyone to almost the opposite, or so it seems.

SOUND CLIP, SOUND CLIP!!!! with video too if possible. Im curious what the v-8 sound is like when looking at a 944. For some reason i just cant put the two together for a good image of what it looks/sounds like.
Let's be intelligent, reasonable and open-minded. The 944 turbo with the puny 4 cylinder unreliable POS engine is done. As Tony Garcia has demonstrated that the limit for reliability on the 951 engine dwells below 400hp, anything above that is just a time bomb. Some guys on this board claim 450-500hp reliable power but we all know that is pure B.S. those are numbers from a dyno glory run nothing more. The chevy engine holds the answer for reliable power on the 951, there is no substitute for displacement. I think it is time that the purist crowd take their head out of their *** and they see the real world of the hybrid Conversion

I vote for a Chevy V8 forum on rennlist.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:31 PM
rickb20
Pro

Default I have been a hybrid fan for years but...

That last post just looks like you're trying to pick a fight D944tech.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:37 PM
D944tech
Banned

Originally Posted by rickb20
That last post just looks like you're trying to pick a fight D944tech.
Pick a fight? for speaking the truth, the chevy v8 is a better engine. The porsche 4 cyl engine is a failure,it is a fact.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:50 PM
rickb20
Pro

Default Didn't you read what I said in my subject??

D944tech,

Didn't you read where I said I'm a long-time Chevy conversion enthusiast?

I'm not arguing at all that WHAT you said isn't true regarding the LT or LS engines being superior to Porsche's 20 year old 4 banger. However, I think you're totally out of line to tell someone to "take their head out of their ***" just because they disagree with you.

Your attitude is what I disagree with and I suspect it turns alot of the purists off too. It's very hard for anyone to respect what you say while you are insulting them.

Your post really makes me think you're trying to stir up trouble on what has (so far) been a very decent discussion about the merits of a quality conversion. I suspect that most here are too intelligent to be drawn into this, but I couldn't resist, since, on principle you and I do agree. It's your method that I have an issue with.

Let me sum it up;
I like Chevy v-8 conversions;
I don't like your attitude.

Anything unclear about that?
Old 04-18-2006, 12:54 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

Pick a fight? for speaking the truth, the chevy v8 is a better engine. The porsche 4 cyl engine is a failure,it is a fact.
Unfortunately that 944 engine is still running at or near stock levels in many cars with well over 250K miles. Yes the Chevy engine is a stout performer in the 400HP+ category but how many Corvettes do you see with over 200K ? I think you are speaking out of the wrong orifice.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:55 PM
D944tech
Banned

Originally Posted by rickb20
D944tech,

Didn't you read where I said I'm a long-time Chevy conversion enthusiast?

I'm not arguing at all that WHAT you said isn't true regarding the LT or LS engines being superior to Porsche's 20 year old 4 banger. However, I think you're totally out of line to tell someone to "take their head out of their ***" just because they disagree with you.

Your attitude is what I disagree with and I suspect it turns alot of the purists off too. It's very hard for anyone to respect what you say while you are insulting them.

Your post really makes me think you're trying to stir up trouble on what has (so far) been a very decent discussion about the merits of a quality conversion. I suspect that most here are too intelligent to be drawn into this, but I couldn't resist, since, on principle you and I do agree. It's your method that I have an issue with.

Let me sum it up;
I like Chevy v-8 conversions;
I don't like your attitude.

Anything unclear about that?
Is not my attitude only, is a sentiment that we share in our world of bastard porsches. Read below

http://www.560sec.com/bulletinboard/...pic.php?t=1180
Old 04-18-2006, 12:57 PM
D944tech
Banned

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Unfortunately that 944 engine is still running at or near stock levels in many cars with well over 250K miles. Yes the Chevy engine is a stout performer in the 400HP+ category but how many Corvettes do you see with over 200K ? I think you are speaking out of the wrong orifice.

lol, is that a joke I have never seen a 944t engine made it over 150k miles
Old 04-18-2006, 12:59 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one in the garage at 196K that I took down to rebuild for upgrading but was running just fine prior, the 951 before that was at 179K, and I want to say that Dan P has his at near 300K.

Let me guess, you are a visitor from that 944 conversion board?
Old 04-18-2006, 01:05 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

I guess my 951 will self destruct within the next 1500 miles...thanks for the heads up I better start looking for a new motor now

The problem is I and many of us think that the LT conversions are great. I drool over Tony's new car and would take it in a heartbeat...you just have a very bad way of presenting your opinion...you aren't from the Honduh Forums are you
Old 04-18-2006, 01:05 PM
D944tech
Banned

Originally Posted by Matt H
I have one in the garage at 196K that I took down to rebuild for upgrading but was running just fine prior, the 951 before that was at 179K, and I want to say that Dan P has his at near 300K.

Let me guess, you are a visitor from that 944 conversion board?
If you original freaks have your nose in the air because you own one of these, you need a reality check. What you've got is just an old Porsche that even the factory swept under the rug.

Best thing to do is to put a V8 in a 944/951. The original engines in these cars are pretty much over-engineered, high-maintenance mechanical POS bombs. Because of these bomb-like qualities you NEVER see anybody transplanting these original engines into other cars for performance and/or reliability gains, have you?. This speaks volumes. I've yet to see a Camaro with a 944/951 engine in it. I do think, however, that the original 951 unit would provide good service on a portable gas engine welder and the n/a would probably be alright to power those temporary roadside lighting plants you seen in construction zones.

Most of you original freaks are pretty much clueless, narrow-minded and mis-spoken about hybrids. You have no real-world experience on the subject matter because you have (more than likely) never even seen a hybrid car, let alone driven one. You can't even begin to comprehend the driving differences between a four cylinder and a V8 in a 944/951. You're experts in one post, and looking for help on how to change the clock bulb in the next total clueless D%$#heads.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:16 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve, the problem is that for every decent conversion there appear to be about 10 aholes from another forum talking about them.

Something tells me that D944 is Doug.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:21 PM
JPR
Racer

Lets not go overboard here,

This is my second 951 and until my conversion, I was able to get a reliable 280hp and 310lbft to the wheels with the original 4cyl turbo, which is much more than the original factory rating, so if anthing, it was remarkably well engineered product for its time. Some folks like the originality of porsche/porsche chasis and drivetrain and that is also fine.

The LS conversion is good for those who like the 951 but want to go beyond the 300 to 350 rwhp reliably and not have to worry about what the engine is doing so it does not self destruct. Also, at this level, the cost of the conversion is more justified by the apples to apples cost of obtaining the same power/torque from the 4 banger.

Different horses for different courses,

Jpr

Quick Reply: awesome use of a v8 in a 944 (dont hate me)