Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

awesome use of a v8 in a 944 (dont hate me)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 12:39 PM
ibdavid
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

My oh my Tony.....you boys have been busy!!!!!
Old 04-17-2006, 12:41 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ibdavid

How do you like your car now? :-)

TonyG
Old 04-17-2006, 12:45 PM
ibdavid
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, sure do wish I had the sense to go that route, would have cost less then that freakin' Huntley disaster!!......and as you have stated....the cool factor is definitely a 10!
Old 04-17-2006, 03:32 PM
Marks951
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the cool things about the LS-1 conversion is that the motor is kinda ugly (keeping with Porsche standards) and it has no markings on it identifying it. Of course younger American hot rodders will know what it is, but most others will not have a clue what it is and that it's not stock. The thing I loved about my 951 was the weight and the handling and brakes....the thing I didn't like was....expensive engine upgrades, oil leaks, and oil leaks.....and cramped working conditions.

Tony, were you able to get the A/C to work?
Old 04-17-2006, 03:44 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Thnx for the reply tony.

Also when you get a chance please post and audio of the car! I really want to see what the v-8 sounds like on the 944
Old 04-17-2006, 05:24 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

>>>Tony, were you able to get the A/C to work?<<<

The heating and a/c (in its entirety) have been deleted. It's a track ***** with license plates now :-)

Seriously though, it would have been easy to keep the a/c and heating if we so desired.

This is the price you pay for 2640lbs wet.

TonyG
Old 04-18-2006, 01:30 AM
rickb20
Pro

Default calling Tony

What did you do with your brakes? It seems that the main weakness with most of the conversions that I've seen is the lack of assisted brakes.

Rick
Old 04-18-2006, 03:00 AM
944-LT1
Racer

Hey Nice Job!

That 18K mark is HUGE!! But I understand that maybe your adding in other non-conversion work?

My price has always been sumed @ < 9,000.00 DIY. Thats with a complete 3,500 LS6. Many will find the LS engine much cheaper if they research and source it correctly. The basic kit is 2,100 and all the options from the list that most will need sums to 2633. You can run the rest of a 951 stock around this stock power plant and do fine although most will eventually upgrade brakes down the road....no pun, haha.

The 18K price would get you an LS7 Z06 and the conversion pieces and leave with some money to filler-up

But, great job nonetheless. Drop by Porschehybrids.com if you get the chance.

Take heart fellas, the job can be done right and < 9000 if you do your homework first.

http://www.560sec.com/gallery/944-LT1
Old 04-18-2006, 03:12 AM
D944tech
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 944-LT1
Hey Nice Job!

That 18K mark is HUGE!! But I understand that maybe your adding in other non-conversion work?

My price has always been sumed @ < 9,000.00 DIY. Thats with a complete 3,500 LS6. Many will find the LS engine much cheaper if they research and source it correctly. The basic kit is 2,100 and all the options from the list that most will need sums to 2633. You can run the rest of a 951 stock around this stock power plant and do fine although most will eventually upgrade brakes down the road....no pun, haha.

But, great job nonetheless. Drop by Porschehybrids.com if you get the chance.

Take heart fellas, the job can be done right if you do your homework first.
I think it would be a great idea to create a 944 V8 forum on rennlist, I personally don't like porschehybrids. The host, Doug Sogolow, is such an ***$#le! I would rather see a rennlist sponsored eight cylinders forum.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:27 AM
944-LT1
Racer

I think it would be a great idea to create a 944 V8 forum on rennlist, I personally don't like porschehybrids. The host, Doug Sogolow, is such an ***$#le! I would rather see a rennlist sponsored eight cylinders forum.
No no. Hes really a great guy. He would bend over backwards to help anyone. He just got very angry when people from this board signed up on his to flame everyone there, thats all. Otherwise, Im sure he would welcome anyone interested in what we do there. He has created a friendly site that is relaxing and packed full with conversion information that did not exist before him and his effort.

It was not an attempt to alienate anyone or group but to truly focus on Porsche cars and V8 conversions only. There is no talk of anything the defects from this topic on the board which means that people need not go far to find information they need.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:50 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

944-LT1

The 18K number was including $6k that we would charge to do the job.

The net number if you do it yourself is about $12k (using the same stuff).

The Renegade list is far from complete. And the optional list is still incomplete. The optional list are extra parts sold by Renegade. This doesn't mean that you can take the "standard package" and all or part of the "optional parts" and make a complete kit. You will still need substantially more parts.

And for the record, I did not add in any money for any of the body work, interior work, suspension, brakes, or things like the Turbo S tranny or the high-end axles.

But you can do it for less. It just depends on the quality of the install you want to do. Higher quality = more money. Plain and simple.

The job we did was a magazine quality install. And the pictures posted here are "old". You should see the car now (several weeks after those pics were taken!). Huge difference.

BTW, drove the car today. It's one of the fastest Porsches I've driven. Not a modifed 996TT, but a hell of a lot faster than any of the 951's I've owned. The car is fast enough at 100mph to make me not scared... but nervous. The things pulls HARD.

TonyG

TonyG
Old 04-18-2006, 07:30 AM
expuppy
Intermediate

I also have an ls1 conversion into a 98 NA. LOVE the car, as mentioned, it really pulls hard, tons of torque. Mine cost around 18k too or a little more, but that included changing some of the stuff not related to the conversion but NEEDED by the conversion. I drive mine daily to work. The change list for me was

Nose -Fiberwerks
Custom headlights- PIAA
Blanking panel to get rid of popups- GT Racing
Radiator- Ron Davis ( through Renegade)
LS1 engine
Coated Headers- Renegade
Custom Exhaust - ( done FREE by local shop because they LOVED the car and wanted to do it)
Conversion Kit- Renegade
Koni adjustable struts
Wilwood Brakes
944 Tranny with Torsen LSD
Koni Rear Shocks
28 mm rear torsion bar
18 " wheels
Tenzo Seats
New IP cluster reverse lit (not ricerish IMHO)
TRW Sabelt Harnesses
Momo wheel

Other cars include a Mini S and a 993 cabriolet. I can honestly say that the hybrid is the most fun to drive and by FAR the quickest in terms of acceleration. I have not had the car on the tracks yet, so i cant comment on the handling fully. I can say that one has to be careful coming out of corners and that late apexing requires a very sensitive feel on the accelerator or one finds oneself staring back at the corner from which they exited.

Glad there is dialogue on this board about the hybrids. I understand that they may not be some's cup of tea, but we do all share a love for the looks of the 944 and its track manners ( assuming mine are fine with the LS1, if not, will lighten some more. I have already offset the extra few pounds of the LS1 with corresponding weight savings, so it looks fine on paper, but we dont RACE on paper).

Cheers

Dayton OH
Old 04-18-2006, 07:56 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

expuppy, do you have any pictures of your install and finished product? Would be nice to see!
Old 04-18-2006, 09:02 AM
lapex
Instructor

I do have a couple of pics. I painted the car a demure tan colour to try and avoid the local metermaids. WORKS too!!! ( at least for the deaf ones, the car has that rumble that you hear in Gone in 60 Seconds that takes away the 4-cylinderness). I built the car with an eye toward the One Lap Cannonball Run. It is entered this year, but its most likely a tuning year for me, since the car is so new and i still have to master the feel and brakes issues.

Not sure how to post pics on here. My car is on the hybrids forum;
http://www.560sec.com/gallery/Cannonball-LS1

reply here or shoot me a message if you want to talk further. I GOTTA take up for Doug over at the other board. The guy has been a GODSEND to me as i did my conversion. He knows a TON about these cars. I believe all the water under the bridge between the hybriders got under his skin in the past and it probably showed, but he is SINCERELY a nice guy and would give you the shirt off his back. Its just my opinion, but i respect the guy a lot. If you dont, hey, its ok.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:21 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just got a ride in a different hybrid...a Prius!!! Woo hoo...just kidding. I rode in an RX7 FC (late 80s style) with a LS1. With cams, some headwork and a pretty worked exhaust, he dyno'd at 475whp. He also dyno'd soon after at 675 with nitrous.

He didn't shoot it with nitrous when I rode in it last night, but it was crazy nonetheless. Those conversions use the T56 tranny unlike 944 conversions. This makes the conversion much cheaper. I am actually pondering the purchase of a FC RX7 and stripping it to absolutely nothing. It would be a mean car.

Quick Reply: awesome use of a v8 in a 944 (dont hate me)