Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tail Wastegate (38mm) instal question. Update, it's in but...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 12:29 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tail Wastegate (38mm) instal question. Update, it's in but...

I have been doing some searching and in my brief reading on the subject, it is said that the Tial waste gate is installed backwards from stock.
In this statement, is everyone refering two the two vent holes in the actuator housing? There are two holes in the Actuator and from my reading you are supposed to run you boost control line to the lower hole and allow the upper to vent to atmosphere.
Am I correct here or have I just confused myself completely?

IPSC

Last edited by IPSC; 03-26-2006 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:15 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

There are some photos available in the archives if you look some more but... the physical orientation of the Tial WG is opposite of the stock. The stock WG points the valve so it opens into the direction of the outgoing pipe (toward the rear of teh car) while the Tial is installed with the valve pointing toward the front of the car).

Are you installing a boost controller or using the stock set-up? If using the stock and keeping the Cycling Valve, you'll connect the line from the CV to the side port on theTial.

This is what it looks like:

If you are using a MBC, this is how yuo route the hoses....

Last edited by streckfu's951; 03-24-2006 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What streckfu said...

If you're hooking up a boost controller,

Banjo bolt to a "T", one side of T to side of wastegate, other side into boost controller. out of boost controller to top of wastegate...
Old 03-24-2006, 02:02 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
What streckfu said...

If you're hooking up a boost controller,

Banjo bolt to a "T", one side of T to side of wastegate, other side into boost controller. out of boost controller to top of wastegate...
So the Tial is "DUAL PORT" wastegate? Yes this will be used with a boost controler. The directions show that the side vent goes to a boost control (electronic or manual) and the top vent says "vent to atmosphere."

As for the above pitcure, at first glance it looks like that is how the stock waste gate would go in there but... on the Tial the discharge is out the side rather than the bottom like a stock unit? WOW!!!

Does anyone have a shot of the Tial in their car?

IPSC
Old 03-24-2006, 02:11 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IPSC
Yes this will be used with a boost controler. The directions show that the side vent goes to a boost control (electronic or manual) and the top vent says "vent to atmosphere."
You would only let it vent to atmosphere if you were not using a boost controller. Since you are, connect it according to the second picture.

As for the above pitcure, at first glance it looks like that is how the stock waste gate would go in there but... on the Tial the discharge is out the side rather than the bottom like a stock unit yes?
I think you are correct. With the Tial, the valve is facing the crossover pipe while with the stock WG the valve faces the dump pipe.

Look here to see a comparison between stock function and the Tial:
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Wastegate function.doc (23.0 KB, 184 views)
Old 03-24-2006, 02:16 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

How tight is the fitment under the car? I know it will go in but is this going to be a real pain to get in or not?

IPSC
Old 03-24-2006, 02:23 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

The hardest part is removing the stock wastegate as it can be a real pain to remove. Have a rubber mallet available.

Is your car an '86 or '87+? Some with the single piece cross over experienced a clearance issue next to the torque tube. The '87+ with the two piec is much easier.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:12 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

How tight is the fitment under the car? I know it will go in but is this going to be a real pain to get in or not?
It is very tight. At least it was in my car. The first thing to realize is that the mounting surfaces of the Tial with adapter plates do not line up exactly with the mounting surfaces of the stock WG. This means the Tial goes in with a somewhat different alignment than the stock WG.

The trick during installation is to loosen up EVERY bolt on both inlet and exhaust pipes (on both ends of the pipes) which attach to the Tial. Then start threading in the bolts to the Tial adapter plates. As you tighten the WG bolts one by one, the mounting surfaces of the Tial adapter plates and the pipe flanges will gradually be forced into the correct alignment. In my car it took some "persuasion" to get the WG aligned correctly, but eventually it worked out. Do not tighten any of the bolts on the far ends of the inlet and exhaust pipes until you have fully tightened all the bolts on the WG first.

Also, I used lock washers and high-temperature Loctite on all the WG bolts. So far I haven't had any bolts loosen up in the 1-1/2 years I've had the Tial.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:56 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Mine is an 89 so I will not have the fun of the single cross over pipe. I recently went through getting my wastegate out. DEEP CREEP is your friend. I put the car up on jacks and sprayed everything down and let it sit over night and then some before removing the wastegate.

As for leaving everything loose, I did that with the stock wastegate.

My adapters are the Speed Force Racing kind and here is something I just learned from SFR... On the TIAL base, on the discharge side, the two holes with threads in them, have to be drilled out to remove the threads in order to work with the SFR adapter plates. They left that little bit "o" info out till I called them to ask how this all went together.

I am going to snap some pics of this as I go for future reference.

IPSC
Old 03-24-2006, 04:52 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

On the TIAL base, on the discharge side, the two holes with threads in them, have to be drilled out to remove the threads in order to work with the SFR adapter plates.
Yes, the drilling part is fun. Make sure you use a cobalt drill bit for this because the WG is stainless steel. Regular drill bits get destroyed trying to go through stainless steel.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:21 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Ok
I got the wastegate drilled. I did have to stop and resharpen a drill bit. I attached it to the mounting plates. Finally it is in the car and it was not bad at all till... I tried to put the lone bolt in to the dump pipe bracket. The clamp around the torque tube looks as if it will turn once the tensioning bolt is loose. Is this what I need to do or is this bolt simply omited and yes it is a tight fit once it is in there. The "leave everything loose and slowly tighten al the bolts down" method works like a champ

Next question. I have the thing half way plumbed up. I have two hoses running up the back side of the engine and snaked under the intake manifold exiting up near the hardpipe coming off the turbo. This is where I will put the boost controler and the "T" fitting. Is this where most people do it? Seems like a lot of hose and my guess is the shorter the hose the better. Also I have pulled the hose from cycling valve to the hard pipe ( I believe thsi is what people call the J PIPE?" that the MAF is mounted on. I capped it off and, at this point the cyling valve is out of the picture, correct?

Anyone think of anything I may have missed so far?

IPSC

P.S. I have been taking pictures as I went along.

Last edited by IPSC; 03-25-2006 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:44 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Well I got it all done this afternoon and took it for a drive and it over boosted very easily. When I say over boosted it shot past 15 headed for 20 so fast it was all I could do the get my foot off the gas.
So I checked my lines and I had plumbed it exactly as per the diagram posted. I went home and pulled the T fitting and the MBC and ran the side vent directly to the Banjo bolt. Now it goes exactly to 11.5 PSI and holds there rock solid till you let off the throttle. Very nice, much better than stock, even with out any kind of a MBC. The spool up is sooner too. HOWEVER coma pause for effect, I need to get something in there now as I have removed the cycling valve from the loop at this point.
So my question is this... is it possible Tial has changed their desgin recently as the directions I got with the Tial say to put the MBC in line from the intake to the side vent and let the top go to atmosphere.
What are all ya'all's thoughts on this? Thanks for all your help by the way,

IPSC
Old 03-26-2006, 08:48 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Is anything connected to the top port? Did you try turning down the MBC first?
Old 03-26-2006, 08:55 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

At this point the hose from the top vent is open to the atmosphere. I opened the boost controller wide open to start. Then just to be sure I swaped in a reliboost and it did the same thing. I am using 1/4 inch fuel line and I even check to make sure 1/4 is larger than 6mm (the min ID from the Tial derections) and it is 6.25mm so checked it all for kinks are bends.

http://www.tialsport.com/documents/w..._wginstall.pdf

This is the link to Tial website and this is NOT what came with my wastegate.

So I am confused.

IPSC
Old 03-26-2006, 08:58 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

So you're using it in single port mode which is fine.

Quick Reply: Tail Wastegate (38mm) instal question. Update, it's in but...