Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 12:33 AM
OUNATE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEWBIE

Well I'm new to this site and I figured I would introduce myself, I'm a member of some VW forums and been a VW guy in the past. A friend of mine told me about this site so i figured I'd try it out I'm sure it's a great group of people. I'm in the central Ohio area, actually the reason I joined was.. I'm debating on selling my MKIV gti to get into a 86' 951 so I was hoping that some of you may be able to point me in the right direction. The car has 94,000 on the od. with all of the service records I couldn't believe they had all the records, water pump and all belts done 20,000 ago. I've done some research but nothing is better then hearing opinions from folks that have actually owned and own these cars. So will this car be somewhat reliable for a driver and is it worth droping my VW for this car. I've always had an attraction with towards these cars and will hopefully own one in the near future. Thanks and this looks like a great site.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:11 AM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome,What city in Ohio. Sounds as though you might have found a good one. Have the belts been tensioned lately? If not have them checked,last thing you want to have happen is for a belt to break or skip a tooth.These are interfearence motors and bad things can happen. You will enjoy this group,there is always soneone that is able to help with our problems.Now saying that,I'm sure somebody will ding you about becoming a member. The fact is, it would be the best $18 you could spend on you car.Also check the topic about the" 944 fest",one great event.This year is going to be a track day at Nelsen Ledges Raceway. Again , WELCOME!!! FRED.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:40 AM
OUNATE
Instructor

Thanks for the quick response im in granville Ohio. So would a 951 make a good daily driver, I'm meticulous with maintenance on all of my vehicles. Is there a membership to this site? I'm not to familiar with it yet let me know thanks.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:29 AM
daniel951
Race Car

Originally Posted by OUNATE
Thanks for the quick response im in granville Ohio. So would a 951 make a good daily driver, I'm meticulous with maintenance on all of my vehicles. Is there a membership to this site? I'm not to familiar with it yet let me know thanks.
yes i believe it is 18 bucks a year. I mean u learn so much here its well worth the money to help keep this place alive plus u get access to post in the classifieds sections and u are allowed to sell items on the board. Have fun and learn alot.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:06 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A membership also allows you access to the Off-Topic (OT) forum, which has the entertainment value of a soap opera...

Another item to check is how recent the clutch job was. If you send it out to your local mechanic for a clutch job, on an '86 it can be as high as ~$3k job. A car with recent clutch job is a plus.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:41 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Welcome to Rennlist. The community is great and the information you can get here will help you out a lot. Were you over at vwvortex? I have been on that board occasionally. I have a MKIV GLI and enjoy it a lot, but nothing is like my 951. Find a good one that has been well cared for and you will love it.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:18 AM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OUNATE, The car would make a great daily driver.Everone here thinks that the snow performance is good,but I have never tried it. My car is a garage queen that I only drive on nice days.Some here think that is" dumb' but I just couldn't stand to park it in a local parking lot and get it dinged up.Plus when I do drive it ,it is a special time.Just nice to get out and "rip" a little. Now,enjoy the car,read alot of this stuff on these boards,mods are next,because you'll love the "BOOST" FRED
Old 03-16-2006, 12:42 PM
OUNATE
Instructor

Thanks guys I'm actually a member of the www.swov.org site. So it sounds like the 951 would be a good investment but there's just a few things to watch out for. If the car does need a clutch is this a job that's possible without a lift? Also the car is a dark graphite color I haven't seen many with this color is it somewhat rare? I've done a clutch on my 79 jeep and helped a buddy with his 67 vette. Thanks again. Nate

Last edited by OUNATE; 03-16-2006 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:03 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can do the clutch job on a Turbo w/o a lift (though a lift would be nice). But you have to be prepared to either 1) remove the transmission and all exhaust parts or 2) remove the motor -- just to get to the darn clutch. Shop quotes for an '86 with the original one-piece cross over pipe is 24 hours of labor -- if you have two-piece cross over pipe, then it's 20 hours of labor. Though experienced shops have done the job in as little as 10 hours.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:35 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea.. 1 peice x-over and doing it for the first time.. takes longer than 24hrs. Trust me, I know.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:33 PM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcom aboard, I see you found rennlist There is tons of great knowledge here....you will learn a lot. Keep me posted on how its going!
Old 03-16-2006, 03:36 PM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

BTW the clutch is a major PITA, I just did mine not too long ago...but i think there are a few guys in the Granville area that would be willing to help out with any work for a few brews.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:55 PM
OUNATE
Instructor

I'll let you know how it goes with this car. I'd buy a few kegs (if I end up with this car and the clutch takes a dump) just to get a little help. Thanks again I'll post some picks of the car if I end up buying it.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:19 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Granville has some great driving roads. Get that baby and let us know. We will all do a run and then get some lunch in town there. That golf course there kicks my **** every time...Damn Donald Ross greens.

Let us know if you want a second opinion on the car. Do you have a link to the add?
Old 03-16-2006, 05:33 PM
OUNATE
Instructor

Yeah there are def. some good roads around here. I'm a big motorcycle guy so I'm always up for some riding. As far as the car it's actually at byers, I've bought 2 cars through them had a few problems and I never take my cars there for anything. You can see the car at www.byersimports.com just go under the inventory and the used section it's on the second page I believe. They have it way over priced I've talked to the sales manager and he realizes this and is basically listing it at this price so someone won't buy it for a track car. Like I said they've got all the records so I'm gonna see what happens. I'm going on saturday this week to try and work out a deal, your more then welcome to stop buy if you want, it'd be great to get a second opinion. Thanks.

Quick Reply: NEWBIE