Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

*OFFICIAL* Griffin Radiator Group Buy - Friday March 17th Ending Date!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 12:48 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW, I'm also "still in". Thanks for putting this together Matt.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:03 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Everyone,

Glad to see a few more interested people. I just now received a reply from Scotty, and he said anytime is good to set a "end date" on the GB. He said right now if we order in say a week or two, it will take an additional 7-8 weeks for build time. They are backed up right now, and they are also working on a group buy for a Conquest TSI forum also. Let me know when is good for everyone.

On the last group buy - did everyone pay individually? How did that work? Someone from the last group buy please let me know. The sooner we get money into Griffin, the sooner we all get our new Radiators!

Thanks again everyone,
Matt
Old 03-10-2006, 01:32 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Matt,

I believe everyone paid individually to Griffin.

I think this was the process, based on reading the 1st GB thread:

1. List finalized by GB Coordinator (You!)
2. Shipping addresses/names submitted to GB Coordinator who then forwarded complete list to Griffin
3. Individuals called Griffin directly, gave credit card information and then Griffin shipped to the address on the list

I'd recommend next Friday, March 17 as a cut-off date to be on the build list. Once the list is complete then we can post instructions on how to contact Griffin directly to place our orders.

Hope that helps, thanks again.

Greg
Old 03-10-2006, 02:25 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gregeast
Matt,

2. Shipping addresses/names submitted to GB Coordinator who then forwarded complete list to Griffin
3. Individuals called Griffin directly, gave credit card information and then Griffin shipped to the address on the list

I'd recommend next Friday, March 17 as a cut-off date to be on the build list. Once the list is complete then we can post instructions on how to contact Griffin directly to place our orders.

Greg
That system looks good to me.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gregeast
Matt,

Greg
Alright everyone -

As Greg Suggested, I also think that next Friday, March 17th should be the cut off date for the group buy list. After that, (or in the mean time) everyone needs to PM with their name, and shipping address, and I will compile a list for Scotty at Griffin, and after the group buy closes, I will send him the complete list, and by that time I should have all the information about the payments. I would assume the easiest would be to call Griffin and give a credit card number, or get the address for sending a check/MO or something along those lines.

I have an updated list, if I missed your name - let me know, or if you are no longer interested, let me know also. It looks like we have 16 in the GB for sure, so I think we are set on getting the lower price ($405)

comatb (maybe?)
spedracer18 (maybe?)
pk951 (two)
chilibluepepper
Kevin M
SoloRacer
daigo
944 Fanatic
Opeth
beab951
Izzy
streckfu's951
pcarphanatik
brad-cam
gregeast
DanG
Matthew951

Thanks everyone, and bear with me through this as this is the first time I've setup anything like this. All the suggestions I have gotten have been greatly appreciated. They in turn will help all of us get this great deal on an awesome radiator.

Matt
Old 03-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Bob_in_Chicago
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Please add me in for one. Thankx!
Old 03-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought the cores were thicker than stock? Are you saying that other than construction there are no cooling benifits from a Griffin?
When I prototyped the 951 radiator with Griffin I sent them my stock radiator and gave them my criteria. It had to be direct bolt-in, all aluminum, welded seams and provide additional heat rejection if possible. My number 1 priority was longevity, with added heat rejection a close second.

Griffin took the OEM, my requirements and engineered the product that is now offered. Based on Griffins calculations their radiator now can reject around 20% more heat. This was achieved by revising the tubes and fins, which are the same thickness as stock. Also the aluminum end tanks reject more heat than the stock plastic tanks. The all welded end tanks, and their trade mark epoxy seal at the tubes increases service life. No brass fittings are used for the hose ends, so to avoid electrolysis.

This is the finest radiator available for the 951, bar none. My dealings with Griffin were equal to the quality that is their product. The prototype is in my 951 but it was not direct bolt-in. I had to oval some of the holes to make it fit. But this allowed me to provide Griffin with the proper adjustments to make all the following radiators direct fit.

Glad to see that my efforts continue to provide benefit the Rennlist community. Group buy #2 will be a great buy for all participants.

One note of caution, anyone adapting this 951 radiator into a 944 or S2, be certain that the radiator is isolated from the chassis ground (rubber mounted). If not, electrolosys will kill the radiator quick. Along with revised lower mount, you will need the 951 (longer) fan shroud, and 951 preformed hoses, I would guess.

At the time of my concept for the Griffin radiator, I offered to prototype a 944/S2 radiator on the 944NA board, but had limited interest, so it was dropped. 944 guys it would seem, are more into price than quality. Even though, with quality you save in the long run. Perhaps this is why we sadly see so many badly negleted 944's.

Bill
Old 03-10-2006, 04:51 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

PM sent w/address info
Old 03-10-2006, 08:48 PM
eospeed
Racer

I want one count me in.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Imflammable
Intermediate

Im sold... add me
Old 03-10-2006, 09:18 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Friendly plea to try and make this as easy on Matt as possible, I propose that we PM him with the following:

1. Subject line of "Griffin GB"
2. Your name and shipping address in the body of the message

Looking forward to the coolness...
Old 03-10-2006, 11:59 PM
Opeth
Pro

Sorry, take me off the list. I sold the car I was gonna use it for, and I dont think I need 2 spares
Old 03-12-2006, 12:15 AM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts

If you look at the Paragon Products site you'll see they sell one radiator to fit the 944S2, 951 and 968, part no. 951 106 031 05. The S2 and 968 require a little rubber block-off plug to close-off the unused port on the passenger side. To double check that the turbo radiator also fits the S2 I checked the actual part nos in my S2 and my son's '89 Turbo. They were the same, 951 106 031 03.

Therefore, the Griffin will fit all 944S2, 951 and 968 cars.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:45 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom Pultz
If you look at the Paragon Products site you'll see they sell one radiator to fit the 944S2, 951 and 968, part no. 951 106 031 05. The S2 and 968 require a little rubber block-off plug to close-off the unused port on the passenger side. To double check that the turbo radiator also fits the S2 I checked the actual part nos in my S2 and my son's '89 Turbo. They were the same, 951 106 031 03.

Therefore, the Griffin will fit all 944S2, 951 and 968 cars.

Hey Tom,

Thanks for looking into this for everyone. So anyone with a 944S2, or a 968 can also get in on this group buy. I am guessing Paragon sells that rubber plug that is needed to plug the extra fitting if this radiator is installed on a 968 or S2?

I've gotten a lot of PM's with Addresses of those of you that are interested, I don’t have everyone yet, but getting there. Just get your Addresses to me by next Friday, and I will send the list to Scotty at Griffin, and then everyone can call in their order.

Thanks again,
Matt
Old 03-12-2006, 02:35 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew951
Hey Tom,

Thanks for looking into this for everyone. So anyone with a 944S2, or a 968 can also get in on this group buy. I am guessing Paragon sells that rubber plug that is needed to plug the extra fitting if this radiator is installed on a 968 or S2?

I've gotten a lot of PM's with Addresses of those of you that are interested, I don’t have everyone yet, but getting there. Just get your Addresses to me by next Friday, and I will send the list to Scotty at Griffin, and then everyone can call in their order.

Thanks again,
Matt
Porsche PET 6 shows the 951 106 031 03 radiator of the S2 has been updated to an 05, and the turbo is now listed as a 50. Not sure what the differences are but maybe the extra fitting required by the turbo is not included on the 05, but is on the 50 radiator. The radiator for the 968 with manual trans is listed as a 951 106 031 05, the same as the updated S2. Tiptronic cars use a different radiator so they are not able to use the Griffen.

The rubber block-off is a 944 106 103 02, which is already used on my existing radiator, namely because the original S2 came with a "turbo" radiator. Paragon has this part listed on their website.

Quick Reply: *OFFICIAL* Griffin Radiator Group Buy - Friday March 17th Ending Date!