Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

*OFFICIAL* Griffin Radiator Group Buy - Friday March 17th Ending Date!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 12:14 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JET951
how can the car run cooler???? the thermostat controls the engines tempreture, not the radiator.

the radiator just has to take tempreture from the coolant once the thermostat is open. so a silghtly lager radiator will cool that coolant slightly faster. although if the radiator is a little too big you will not get much flow through there.

so really the car should run at normal operating tempreture, not cooler.
In my case the end tanks were separating from the main radiator, which was my major motivation. So yes, running cooler relative to what it was prior to the radiator install. Also, once the thermostat is fully open the limiting factor as far as operating temps is the cooling capacity of the radiator itself (and the fans). Twenty years worth of gunked up passages would be my theory as to why the old one ran hotter than the new one.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:15 AM
nize
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JET951
how can the car run cooler???? the thermostat controls the engines tempreture, not the radiator.

the radiator just has to take tempreture from the coolant once the thermostat is open. so a silghtly lager radiator will cool that coolant slightly faster. although if the radiator is a little too big you will not get much flow through there.

so really the car should run at normal operating tempreture, not cooler.
this is true. i think the people who think it's running cooler are suffering from the placebo effect.

has anybody actually taken a before/after temperature to tell for sure?

also, one thing i've noticed is that the griffin radiator has less fins and coolant channels than the stock radiator. it would seem the stock radiator would be better at cooling, simply because it has more surface area due to having more fins and coolant channels.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:19 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by nize
this is true. i think the people who think it's running cooler are suffering from the placebo effect.

has anybody actually taken a before/after temperature to tell for sure?

also, one thing i've noticed is that the griffin radiator has less fins and coolant channels than the stock radiator. it would seem the stock radiator would be better at cooling, simply because it has more surface area due to having more fins and coolant channels.
Mine ran between the two white lines prior to installation and at the lower white line after installation. More placebos, please.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:21 AM
nize
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, but you just admitted yours was defective to begin with.

has anyone compared a new (or at least not really old and crappy) stock radiator to the griffin?

i am willing to bet there is no difference in temperature, and that the stock radiator cools quicker due to having more surface area.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:10 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

with my 20 year old stock radiator the car runs on the bottom line. i really should replace it though, due to age. although i will be using a stock radiator.

Quick Reply: *OFFICIAL* Griffin Radiator Group Buy - Friday March 17th Ending Date!