Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rebirth of a racecar - project pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 05:29 PM
MacinTek
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful work! One question... which rear wing is that? Very Cool!
Old 10-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. It's an orignal Porsche Motorsports 968 Turbo RS wing.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:43 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Skip

Nice job. I know Chris Cervelli and I'm familiar with that car from back in the day...

A couple of things...

1. Are you allowed to run an adjustable boost controller in-cockpit in your class? I'm not sure, but I didn't think you could in the GTS classes on turbo cars (helps keep you honest if you win)

2. Why are you running that wing? Is there a class restriction on the type / size of the wing such that you can't run a normal race wing? I'm asking because the difference between the 968TRS wing and a full race wing is huge.

3. With the car at 2375 wet without driver (assuming 200lbs for driver and gear) that puts you at 2575lbs race weight / 310RWHP - 8.22lbs per hp.

Running DOT R compound tires would put you in GTS5

Am I missing something here?

Hey... BTW, the car looks great. Nice job.

TonyG
Old 10-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TonyG
1. Are you allowed to run an adjustable boost controller in-cockpit in your class? I'm not sure, but I didn't think you could in the GTS classes on turbo cars (helps keep you honest if you win)
Actually the rule don't regulate where you put it just that you "declare it". That said I plan on moving it to avoid any controversy. It is temporarily mounted there for ease of tuning.

2. Why are you running that wing? Is there a class restriction on the type / size of the wing such that you can't run a normal race wing? I'm asking because the difference between the 968TRS wing and a full race wing is huge.
I hate to say it but originally it was vanity. Wanted to return it to it's original look. That said it will most likely be gone this winter and replaced by a Kokeln wing. Tough to be competitive without more down force.

3. With the car at 2375 wet without driver (assuming 200lbs for driver and gear) that puts you at 2575lbs race weight / 310RWHP - 8.22lbs per hp.
You are right. Although need to add 25 lbs for the driver. But once I get the new wing, and a final weight (have a Kokeln rear suspension to add, gutted the doors as well as a couple of other small things) will do a final tune on the dyno to get just over the 8.5 limit.

4. Running DOT R compound tires would put you in GTS5
No - DOT R-compounds do not bump you a class - it's non-DOT tires (slicks) that bump you a class.

Hey... BTW, the car looks great. Nice job.
Thanks Tony - appreciate it. It's been a looong project with still a ways to go.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:03 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you plan on running it anywhere else this year? Do you think you will be in the GTS mix by next spring?
Old 10-08-2010, 12:18 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Skip Wolfe

You are right. Although need to add 25 lbs for the driver. But once I get the new wing, and a final weight (have a Kokeln rear suspension to add, gutted the doors as well as a couple of other small things) will do a final tune on the dyno to get just over the 8.5 limit.
Make sure you get your weight setup with only a few gallons of gas in the tank.

You only get weighed at impound after the race.

Personally I think you'd be better off adding more weight and going to slicks. The difference is huge.

Anyway... the top couple of cars in GTS4 (the 996's which run full GT3 or cup car suspension, short gearing, and run on Hoosier slicks and full aero) kill me because I'm on R compound tires.....

TonyG

Quick Reply: Rebirth of a racecar - project pics