Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 06:08 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picture of WB O2 Bung Install?

Hey,

I need to have a wideband O2 sensor bung welded onto my test-pipe. I was wondering where everyone has put theirs. Does anyone have a picture of their O2 sensor bung with it installed on the pipe before the pipe was re-installed? Or maybe just circle the area on a photo where I should be thinking about putting it? Everyone does put it after the turbo, on the test-pipe right?

Thanks guys,
Matt
Old 01-09-2006, 06:15 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is installed after the turbo, right where it curves down and flattens out to go back to where the "test pipe" section would be on your car.

You can see it just behind the caster block, next to the crossover pipe in that photo.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:15 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ski has a pic of the best position. I wish I had put mine where his is.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:46 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 01-09-2006, 06:49 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My ZT-2 instructions call for a vertical mount, between 10 and 2 o'clock.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:52 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MPD47
Mine is installed after the turbo, right where it curves down and flattens out to go back to where the "test pipe" section would be on your car.

You can see it just behind the caster block, next to the crossover pipe in that photo.
MPD47 - that picture is not loading for me. Is anyone else having trouble?

Thanks David - Thats on the test-pipe correct? Would there be any heat issues with the wideband wires running the same as your setup if I dont have the heat wrap?
Old 01-09-2006, 08:22 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matthew951
Thanks David - Thats on the test-pipe correct? Would there be any heat issues with the wideband wires running the same as your setup if I dont have the heat wrap?
Yes, on testpipe, you could put some sort of heat wrap (aluminum foil) on the wires.

Hard to tell, but the sensor is actually pointing downward, so no water collecting problem, as you can tell by the date on the picture been working for over 3 years and 30k miles.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:42 PM
1FastRedSC
Instructor

The installation manual that came with my LM-1 says to install no more angled than 30 degrees from the top (as to try and get it to point as straight down as possible). It also has to be after the turbo, for temperature and accuracy reasons. The farther away from the turbo you go, the longer it might take for you to get a usable signal ( needs to get to a certain temp before it can kick out a usable reading ).
Old 01-09-2006, 11:24 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1FastRedSC
The installation manual that came with my LM-1 says to install no more angled than 30 degrees from the top (as to try and get it to point as straight down as possible). It also has to be after the turbo, for temperature and accuracy reasons. The farther away from the turbo you go, the longer it might take for you to get a usable signal ( needs to get to a certain temp before it can kick out a usable reading ).
Whats the reason for the wideband having to be as close to vertical as possible? I dont see how this would make the signal be any better? Does anyone know what the theory behind this is? Would the sensor be inaccurate then if I mounted more towards horizontal?

Originally Posted by David Floyd
Yes, on testpipe, you could put some sort of heat wrap (aluminum foil) on the wires.

Hard to tell, but the sensor is actually pointing downward, so no water collecting problem, as you can tell by the date on the picture been working for over 3 years and 30k miles.
David, are you saying your sensor (wire end) points slightly downward? Like, at maybe 4 O' clock if you will? If this is the case, and yours obviously has worked pefectly for the past 3 years, then that leads me to beleave that it doesnt matter how the O2 sensor is mounted.

Thanks guys for the info!
Matt
Old 01-10-2006, 12:04 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matthew951
David, are you saying your sensor (wire end) points slightly downward? Like, at maybe 4 O' clock if you will? If this is the case, and yours obviously has worked pefectly for the past 3 years, then that leads me to beleave that it doesnt matter how the O2 sensor is mounted.

Thanks guys for the info!
Matt
Just the opposite, the wire end is up and the tip inside the pipe is down, so as to allow any condensation to drain.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:24 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

You can see mine here. http://members.rennlist.com/tom86951...nd%20wires.htm
Old 01-10-2006, 12:29 AM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

I'm wondering why no one has used the stock location? Is this because most of you need to utiliize the stock oxygen sensor as well with your wideband kits?
Old 01-10-2006, 12:36 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by badass951
I'm wondering why no one has used the stock location? Is this because most of you need to utiliize the stock oxygen sensor as well with your wideband kits?
Wideband is best after the turbo.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:49 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

The O2 sensor has to be pointing down (10:00 to 2:00) to avoid getting water on the tip; it is made of a ceramic material and can crack. The stock position has too much pressure and temperature which will affect the reading. Were David Floyd shows it is the sweat spot for the installation. More info below:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...light=preasure

Quick Reply: Picture of WB O2 Bung Install?