Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

968 turbo pistons, drawings and spec

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 08:59 AM
Black Arrow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 968 turbo pistons, drawings and spec

I would like some information regarding the 104mm pistons used in the Porsche 968 turbo engine.

Anyone have any drawings for this piston(from the wrist pin side), or any spec?

I want to see if the upper ring stops at the same upper level as the original Porsche S2 pistons. If the upper ring turn down just 1mm lower than stock S2 I dont need to recondition the sylinderwalls and saves some money.

I`m going to build a 3L 8v turbo, maybe with the 968 turbo pistons.

Heres a link to the pistons LR sale:
http://www.lindseyracing.com/Merchan...4PISTONPISTONS

If anyone have a 968 turbo piston, and could check the distanse between the upper ring and the wrist pin I would be glad!
Old 12-17-2005, 10:21 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

I hate to **** on your parade but those pistons are not available. At this point first or second overzise are the only options available. I don't know why Lindsey continues to advertise them.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:36 PM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I’m may be wrong , but I don’t think Thomas is going to buy pistons from LR ...
Old 12-17-2005, 01:01 PM
Black Arrow
Racer

LR or not, if not the 104mm pistons are available anymore I need to do something else.. Is it only LR that doesnt stock those anymore, or are they all gone everywhere?
If so, thats a bit strange?

Theres no problem to go oversize pistons. I just thought that if the upper pistonsring in the 968 turbo piston doesnt go that high up in the cylinder(cause different comp), theres no need to recondition the cylinderwalls.

I`ve also thought about letting Chris White insert his stuff in the cylinders, but then again shipping the block all the way to him cost alot of $$ from Norway.

I got plenty oppertunities to do the block over here as well.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:13 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LR just built a 968 turbo so they had to get pistons from somewhere. Tom McGuinn has a set of 105mm 968 turbo Tom C pistons. I know that they(LR) have also been experimenting with some JE pistons with different coatings, not sure what's going on at the moment. The 968 turbo was built for a storm chaser guy of all things. The car has hail damaged etc but he wanted it much quicker.

I dropped the recent conversations with Mahle North America about the 100.5 and 101mm pistons, with the ferra print iron coating. I'm sure this could be revived and probably into the 104.5mm pistons etc, they have all the drawings and can do it, but not without a vendor who is willing to buy 80 sets from the production run and I have no idea of the vendor price - this based on the last contact with Christian there.

Now a couple of years ago, there was a guy in Canada who could get you all the stuff for the 968 turbo, not sure if he's still around or still has access or if the supplies have run dry. I know Raj got some stuff from him and I contacted him but the 3.0L was just to much $$ for my boost controller(wife)
Old 12-17-2005, 02:41 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Ski
LR just built a 968 turbo so they had to get pistons from somewhere. Tom McGuinn has a set of 105mm 968 turbo Tom C pistons. I know that they(LR) have also been experimenting with some JE pistons with different coatings, not sure what's going on at the moment. The 968 turbo was built for a storm chaser guy of all things. The car has hail damaged etc but he wanted it much quicker.

I dropped the recent conversations with Mahle North America about the 100.5 and 101mm pistons, with the ferra print iron coating. I'm sure this could be revived and probably into the 104.5mm pistons etc, they have all the drawings and can do it, but not without a vendor who is willing to buy 80 sets from the production run and I have no idea of the vendor price - this based on the last contact with Christian there.

Now a couple of years ago, there was a guy in Canada who could get you all the stuff for the 968 turbo, not sure if he's still around or still has access or if the supplies have run dry. I know Raj got some stuff from him and I contacted him but the 3.0L was just to much $$ for my boost controller(wife)

Yes, I do have a set of Tom C 105mm pistons available. PM me if interested. I also have a set of Mahle 104.5 pistons I will be using in my project. I posted pictures of both sets in the past, but can't seem to find them. I'll see if I can snap some pictures. Andial still had several sets of 104.5 pistons on the shelf a few months back -- at $1,400 for four. Heritage motors (or something to that effect) had a sets of 104mm 16valve pistons made, which I think they will sell. For about the price of prepping the block and buying Mahle 104.5 pistons, you can probably sleeve the block (Chris White?) and use JE pistons -- resulting in a more readily rebuildable motor.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:42 PM
Kit_Chris
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now a couple of years ago, there was a guy in Canada who could get you all the stuff for the 968 turbo, not sure if he's still around or still has access or if the supplies have run dry.
Are you thinking of Ludwig Heimrath? But that would be more than just a couple of years ago, more like 10 or more years?!

Regards,
Chris
Old 12-17-2005, 03:05 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

No not him, his initials were T.K.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:34 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

What i know is that LR uses JE sport pistons, and have the bores Nikasil plated.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:58 PM
RPG951S
Racer

Ski,

His name was Thomas. He owns a shop in Kingston called TK Engineering (something to that effect).
He used to post on in the UpperCanada region web classified (I bought some some small items from him a year or two ago, and he was good to deal with..)
He had some amazing stuff in his shop, including a 968 TurboRS clone with a 3.4L turbo motor with a real 968 TurboRS tranny!
Old 12-17-2005, 04:04 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by RPG951S
Ski,

His name was Thomas. He owns a shop in Kingston called TK Engineering (something to that effect).
He used to post on in the UpperCanada region web classified (I bought some some small items from him a year or two ago, and he was good to deal with..)
He had some amazing stuff in his shop, including a 968 TurboRS clone with a 3.4L turbo motor with a real 968 TurboRS tranny!
3.4 would require 113mm bores with a 3 liter crank -- must have had fancy sleeves or a custom stroker crank, no?
Old 12-17-2005, 05:10 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

that's the guy.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:38 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

you mean:

Tom Konvalina

email: tkonvalina_at_fct.ca ( change ' _at_ ' to ' @ ' )

shop: (613) 549-0289
Old 12-18-2005, 12:00 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I have spare factory 968 turbo RS pistons I bought from Chris Cervelli as part of my package (turbo RS shortblock). I should be freeing up a bit by next friday and would be happy to send you pictures/details of everything you need.
I never did any business with Tom K. We just never could agree on a price. He likes being high on his stuff and low on stuff he wants from me. Just can't work that way.
If you can be patient, I should be able to help you out.
Raj
Old 12-18-2005, 12:04 AM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a set of Mahle 104mm turbo pistons in a tolerance group "0" (103.980) if anyone is interested. $1400 plus shipping.

Quick Reply: 968 turbo pistons, drawings and spec