Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rage2: Update on your sleeved engine? Cracked block?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 05:48 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Rage2: Update on your sleeved engine? Cracked block?

Rage2: I was talking with some of the local Porsche guys and was asked if I had the highest HP 951 in Calgary. I told them that yours was much further along than mine and would probably stay there because you went to 2.8 litres with a sleeved block. I also mentioned that I haven't seen or heard about your 951 for some time and wasn't sure the status at the moment. They mentioned that they saw the car at Alpine and were told that the block was cracked or that a sleeve slipped. Is this true? What went wrong? Was it something to do with the sleeving process? Or did another mechanical failure cause the problem? I remember you used Moroso block filler and a bunch of other things to try and strengthen the block with the sleeves and sounded like a good idea at the time. I still have a spare block and was toying with the idea of going to 2.8 or 3.0 litres myself but now am wondering if that is a smart thing to do with sleeves. I don't know if you look here any more but if you do please respond as I'm sure a few of the guys thinking of going your route might want to know what happpened so that it doesn't happen to them.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:56 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be extremely interested in what happened here.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:25 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Listening, and hoping well for Rage.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:09 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Tool: Do you have any insight as to what might cause a cracked block? Could the expansion rates of the Moroso filler and the block have something to do with it?
Old 12-03-2005, 07:25 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

First, let's hope it is not a cracked block. Everything I'm saying here is theory related to the type of sleeves on Rage2 block. This is not related to Rage2 as I have no info on his engine.

If the sleeves were not properly installed they will move. As far as the block cracking, it depends on where it is cracked. The sleeve itself should not crack. The type of sleeves the 2.8L uses are fairly sturdy. The top portion of the sleeve is all iron and fairly thick (no aluminum). The top portion of the cylinder (and sleeve) is where there is the most pressure.
If the sleeve moves, then the aluminum (old cylinder materials) can crack and water will mix with oil (eventually). However the block filler should help the cylinders & sleeves from walking (which can cause cracked cylinders)..

A good sleeved engine will perform well.. But as with mechanical device they can fail.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Skunk Workz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by special tool
I will be extremely interested in what happened here.
Times 2.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:27 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wondered how his car is also, have not seen Rage around here in a while
Old 12-04-2005, 12:42 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

bump...me too
Old 12-04-2005, 10:46 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He also grouted the block as well. I think first to get more water to the top of the cylinder area for cooling but it should have strengthened the lower part of the block.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:28 PM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

I spoke with him through a few private messages near the end of November and he stated that the 2.8L was still running strong and that the turbo had blown up. I am guessing that the source of this information was misinformed.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:47 PM
special tool
Banned

Where did he get the turbo?
Old 12-04-2005, 03:03 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

If I remember correctly he talked about an oil consumption issue that was the turbo. Is it possible that what was originally thought to be a turbo problem ended up being something wrong with the block? Ie: Can a cracked block cause oil consumption? I hope Rage comes online and fills us in. I had a bunch of issues with my car at one time and I know how agonizing it can be to have spent so much time and money on a project only to see it all go out the window and have to start over. Hopefully on his car this is not the case.

Tool: I believe at one point he was running a Huntley turbo but I don't know if that is the same one he has now. I also believe his current turbo is a Garrett - possibly a T04E - that he bought through one of the non Porsche vendors (Majestic, Turbonetics,etc.) He got his wastegate he from me (Tial 40mm).
Old 12-04-2005, 03:09 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

The turbo from TEC failed. Had it rebuilt at Alamo, slapped it back in, and it was worse. Rebuilt again at alamo, this time put a restrictor in. Haven't fired it up yet. It's been there for a while cuz Marc has been busy. Compression was checked before we took the turbo out. Compression was 140 across all 4 cylinders.

Who started the cracked block rumor? hehe. But ya, my car's been at his shop for 2 or 3 months now .

As for why I havent' been around much, I got a divorce a year ago, so I've been busy working on a replacement lol.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:36 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by rage2
The turbo from TEC failed. Had it rebuilt at Alamo, slapped it back in, and it was worse. Rebuilt again at alamo, this time put a restrictor in. Haven't fired it up yet. It's been there for a while cuz Marc has been busy. Compression was checked before we took the turbo out. Compression was 140 across all 4 cylinders.

Who started the cracked block rumor? hehe. But ya, my car's been at his shop for 2 or 3 months now .

As for why I havent' been around much, I got a divorce a year ago, so I've been busy working on a replacement lol.
Glad to see you're around, missed ya and your crazy antics! Hope all goes well with the car. Nice rumor too, eh? And the girl thing? Give it time to heal, but I'd find another replacement for some fun.

Old 12-04-2005, 03:38 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by rage2
. . .I got a divorce a year ago, so I've been busy working on a replacement lol.

Quick Reply: Rage2: Update on your sleeved engine? Cracked block?