Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Racing Seats

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 06:13 PM
Viperchris
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing Seats

I am looking to buy a seat for less than $500. My car has power seats and I was wondering what the best seat is and what mods are required to put one in.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:22 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How big are you and what are you going to do with the car?

Do you want access to the back seat

3 pt belt or are you going to a 5/6 pt. harness?

You'll get as many opinions as there are seat choices....
Old 11-04-2005, 06:54 PM
shmark
Drifting

Find a dealer and sit in them until you find one you like. Otherwise you will never like what you buy. I had a Momo Rookie seat in my track car and loved it, but I'm a skinny sort. Some people love Kirkeys but I've never been comfortable in them. I do like Butlers and Sparcos though. Do you want to retain slider adjustment? Recline? Makes a big difference.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:11 PM
Viperchris
Track Day

Thanks for the quick reply!

I am more interested in the nuts and bolts-how hard is it to mount these seats? Also, I am fairly fat, but working on it!
Old 11-04-2005, 07:13 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i'm so happy there's a sparco dealer and a momo dealer in my area.....what are fittiment issues?
Old 11-04-2005, 07:26 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

For the street, Recaro SRD's are nice. They recline, comfortable and have belt holes, even for a 5pt harness. They sell mount kits for 944 chassis.

For the track, Its alot of personal taste. Size, wieght, belt requirements etc..
Old 11-04-2005, 07:54 PM
cag4
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I just put a set of Momo GT Streets in mine -- used their mounts and it was a direct bolt-in, although I adjusted them for height and rake and I still sit far higher than my stock power sport seats... The momo's hold great and are comfortable (and offer adjustable recline and easy rear seat access), but I can almost see wear starting in the fabric... maybe it's just my imagination... but I'm saving the stock seats nonetheless!
cag4
Old 11-04-2005, 08:32 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by shmark
Find a dealer and sit in them until you find one you like. Otherwise you will never like what you buy. I had a Momo Rookie seat in my track car and loved it, but I'm a skinny sort. Some people love Kirkeys but I've never been comfortable in them. I do like Butlers and Sparcos though. Do you want to retain slider adjustment? Recline? Makes a big difference.
I couldn't agree more
You have to sit in a seat to know how it feels
I have a Racaro SDR its a good seat ( its a decent seat for street and track
Two points on the seat: One, your height is paramount ( and the height I am speaking of it that or your torso to the top of your noggin )
I am only 5 11 but, my torso is that of someone who is 6 4 so my head will hit the sunroof if I didn't mount it with the adapter bracket
missing
Two, you have to take into acct DE ( helmet) as well
The SDR is not the most aggressive seat. In fact towards the tail end of my DE days
I was bruising my left thigh on the bolster, it isn't very deep but is a full function seat
( if you use the back seat , i.e. kids you really shouldn't go with a fixed seat
Good luck
Ed
Old 11-05-2005, 01:05 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 323 Posts

The Recaro SRD/Speed is a very aggressive seat. The only thing more aggressive is going to be a fixed back racing shell, which is way more uncomfortable to sit in.

You have to special order a Recaro Speed with the sub strap hole, I waited close to 6 weeks for mine to arrive from Germany.

The recaro mount kit sucks. It's a set of sliders that mount directly to the floor of the car. There are two issues with this, the first being that there's no room for the pull bar, so you can't slide the seat back and forth! The other is there's no provision for inner lap belt mounts for harness or stock seat belt receptacle.

I did a bunch of research on this and ended up using the Stable Energies adapter bracket and sliders. This gave me an inner lap belt mount for my harness, a place to mount the stock seat belt receptacle (so I wouldn't have to wear the harnesses every time I drove the car) and a mount for the sub strap. Otherwise you need to drill holes in the car, weld in plates and eye bolts for the harness mounts.

I do wish the seat sat a little closer to the floor, but I can still fit with my helmet on...
Old 11-05-2005, 08:50 AM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a SRD seat for sale if anyone is interested. Great seat. I'm selling it because I need to go to a fixed back seat for racing. It's a bit faded, but not bad and in otherwise great shape - no tears, etc. $300 + shipping.
Attached Images  
Old 11-05-2005, 09:38 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

The $500 budget can get chewed up pretty quick if you have to buy new mounts etc to go with it.

You stated your on the larger side,
I am 6'2 and just north of 240, I don't have the cab forward design, my problem was the shoulder area. My **** could fit in an Evo 2 beautifully but the wings on the shoulder made me have to roll forward like a hunchback. The Evo 3, "big boy seat" fits my shoulders but the lower section allowed a little movement. $30 in pads and now it fits like a glove.

The Evo 3s are a tight tight fit in for the 944 though. Man there is no room on the tunnel side for anything. I don't think a stock 3 point harness would work with them either.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:00 PM
GTS
AutoX

Hi, we could offer you a few seats to accomodate your needs and the look,but you will not get a good lasting seat for little money,just doesn't work unless you go with the "fast and furious seats' made in China.....
Our seats start at $ 495 and a seat for a big guy which stays comfortable and supportive at $ 665
Attached Images    
Old 11-05-2005, 01:01 PM
GTS
AutoX

sorry forgot GTS-classics.com...
regards Stefan

Quick Reply: Racing Seats