Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What else is left to go wrong?!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 12:49 PM
Evan70
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What else is left to go wrong?!?

It's really somewhat of a rhetorical question, I'm mainly just venting. Clutch died this weekend and after looking through all my receipts it's been a very busy year maintenance wise:
Cup clutch
front wheel bearing
rebuild turbo
elec water pump
A/C control unit
A/C hoses/leak repair
PS repair
headgasket & head P&P
brakes (pads/rotors)
hoses/lines, belts, bypass valve, plugs, wires, cap/rotor
AFM
radiator

No wonder my wife wants me to sell the car. With the clutch job, I'm now up to around $7K for maintenance this year. Of course, it really shoulnd't need much more maintenance wise now (I hope).

One thing that other people might find usefull to know on the clutch. It really didn't give much of a warning. Started making a pop when moving from a stop on Friday at lunch, and completely died on Saturday after only about 100 miles from initial symptom.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:44 PM
silverbullet
Pro

Hmm, no oil-pan gasket replacement yet? Could be worse, how much do you think you've spent for all that stuff?
Old 11-01-2005, 01:56 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Evan do the gasket when you do the clutch! Good catch Silver!
Evan, I may need your help on my a/c. Mine went out,after the comp was slowly leaking. I pushed in the a/c button and nothing! Not even the orage light of the button. So, I have to change out the control unit, and have a known good compressor already installed. Where would you start trouble shooting?

Now back to your regularly scheduled "What else can break" thread.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:55 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Do RMS when doing clutch too!
the question: What else is left to go wrong?!?
Is the secret creed we, as 951 owners have sworn to upon initiation. You must have missed it.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:09 PM
Evan70
Pro

Yeah, Charlesworth got the RMS when he did the clutch. Also ended up having the flywheel machined, the release fork bearings replaced, and a CV boot done. I must say, it is WAY better now. Amazingly, the cup clutch actually has less pedal effort than the worn out stock unit that was in there.

Silverbullet, the oil pan gasket needs doing, but it's not a serious leak yet (of course, as soon as I say that it'll probably blow to pieces in the next few weeks ).

Ehall, there's not a whole lot to trouble shoot. If you're sure the system is fully charged and the compressor won't engage (I'm sure you know it won't kick on if the regrigerant is low), then the control unit is about the only thing left. Mine was pretty easy as about every function on the control head went belly up all at once. Fortunately (unfortunately price wise) my mechanic keeps new control heads in stock and could just swap it out to verify it was the problem.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:37 AM
Evan70
Pro

Well, I got the answer to my question. Looks like my custom test pipe has partially failed. Car is now loosing about 3psi, of boost and my mechanic and I are pretty sure it's an exhaust restriction. Best guess is that the double wall stock tubing has collapsed where I had the cat removed and regular single wall pipe welded in. Guess it's time for a LR 3" exhaust.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:47 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

I feel your pain.......I have a long list as well......actually mechanic coming in about an hour to start the clutch job. The NSX down the street is looking better and better.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:00 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A sudden "pop" will indicate master, slave or THE LINE BETWEEN THE TWO!!!!
Especially if Charlesworth has done your clutch.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:16 AM
Evan70
Pro

As a follow up on the clutch, it's amazing the car was even driveable with the old unit in there. The flywheel had quite a few hairline cracks, the PP had huge grooves worn in it (more like valleys really), and the clutch disc had two springs that were coming out, and the snap ring holding it together had broken as well.

Quick Reply: What else is left to go wrong?!?