Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Adding remote keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 03:26 PM
RK951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding remote keyless entry

I'd like to add remote keyless entry to my '89 951 which has power locks. There is already a factory alarm so I'm wondering if the addition of a second aftermarket one might screw things up or somehow cause a conflict. As I'm sure there are people who have added remote access, does anyone have some specific recommendations or advice? Ideally I'd like to also be able to pop the rear hatch via remote as well.

TIA
Old 10-04-2005, 04:49 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

It can be done just fine. I bought my '89 951 with a viper alarm already in it. The viper alarm remote locks and unlocks the doors and can pop the hatch. Works great.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:56 PM
RK951
Rennlist Member

Sounds like you have exactly what I want. Do you have both the viper alarm and the factory alarm connected? One of the issues raised by my local service guy was a concern for potential drain on the battery I think because the power locks (switch?) does not get power when the car is turned off. Just curious but if you sit in your car with the key removed, does the door lock button in front of the shift boot on the console work?
Old 10-04-2005, 06:11 PM
Evan70
Pro

You should have central locking, which has a box attached to the steering column under the dash. You can get any negative trigger (99% of keyless entry systems on the market) to interface with this. I bought one of Ebay for about $30 and it works fine. Doesn't flash the lights or honk the horn, and doesn't interfere with the factory alarm. It's just a keyless entry that sends the signal to unlock through the factory central locking (just like unlocking at the door with the key).
Old 10-04-2005, 06:47 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Yes, the door lock button works with the power off. It seems that both the factory and the viper alarm both still work. I've had the factory alarm go off and it honks the horn, but other times I've had the viper's siren alarm go off. I don't know how the viper was wired in, but I do know that it works well with the factory alarm.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:53 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

My 86 has both Central Locking and a Python alarm (remote key/hatch). What I am curious about is the controller in the glove box maked UNGO with a couple sliding switches on it. I'm afraid to touch it and never be able to start my car again! Anyone know what this UNGO module is?
Old 10-05-2005, 12:11 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I installed a keyless remote that I bought from JC Whitney for $35 using instructions on this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=20449

It works great, much better range than the one in my BMW!

HTH,

Greg
Old 10-05-2005, 01:10 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Installed an Alpine unit 3 years ago (replaced the PO crap). It has central locking as well as rear hatch release. I did wire it up to the park lights but I did not connect the starter disable ... these crap out a lot .... usually away from home ...

I use both the factory and alpine unit when locking up the car. When the alarms go off, both horn and siern makes a hell of a racket that people do not ignore!!!
Old 10-05-2005, 03:26 AM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

A previous owner had a Code Alarm system installed in mine. I can use the keys to lock it and just the factory alarm is armed; use just the remote to arm just the Code Alarm system; or do both. It was actually a little confusing at first until I fugured out what was going on. The lights in the door locks flash with both systems. Popping the hatch with the Code alarm system armed will set the system off, unless you pop it with the remote in which case it disarms. I'd love to find the main control unit to see if I can do something with the antenna, 'cause the range sure sucks

Quick Reply: Adding remote keyless entry