Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Installing the AIR spoiler.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 08:33 PM
951TurboEuroSpec
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing the AIR spoiler.

Hi guys, What is the best way to install the AIR lower front spoiler.. I want to put mine on...
Old 09-07-2005, 08:42 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Remove the front bumper and drill your holes where the mounting clips are for the stock batwing. It lines up much more easily than doing it on the car.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:17 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do what Daniel says (like I do) - use long steel 1/8 rivets, not bolts. The nuts are difficult to capture underneath - rivets you are done in 3 minutes.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:21 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mounted mine on the car. I drilled several ~1" access holes in the bottom of the splitter that lined up with the existing mounting hardware for the batwing. From there I drilled smaller holes to line up with the speed nuts on the bumper cover. After doing this the first time it takes me about 10 minutes to remove the batwing or replace it. In the corners I mounted the splitter to the fenders with bolts and lock nuts.

I have hit a fox and a possum with it an it's held up fine so far.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:32 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OriginalSterm
I have hit a fox and a possum with it an it's held up fine so far.
I've wacked a possum also, The AIR splitters are tough, but the possum was tougher. I hit him at about 30mph he rolled like a football down the road in front of me, got up and walked away, not sure but I think he flipped me off as I drove on.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:41 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't mount it SECURLEY, it will rip off like a bitch the first time it hits anything even slightly.

The bumper/splitter assembly is off my car at the moment so I will take a photo of how it is bolted together tomorrow when I get home from work.

I suggest taking the bumper OFF to install the splitter - it may seem like more work, but it is only 6 bolts in front of the wheel well to remove the front bumper, and once it's off it's WAY easier to install the splitter. You don't even have to jack up the car.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:42 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
If you don't mount it SECURLEY, it will rip off like a bitch the first time it hits anything even slightly.

The bumper/splitter assembly is off my car at the moment so I will take a photo of how it is bolted together tomorrow when I get home from work.

I suggest taking the bumper OFF to install the splitter - it may seem like more work, but it is only 6 bolts in front of the wheel well to remove the front bumper, and once it's off it's WAY easier to install the splitter. You don't even have to jack up the car.
Post pictures!
Old 09-08-2005, 10:53 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor

I agree that this is the best method. This way also means that you don't need to drill holes from the bottom of the spoiler for bolt/screw access.

The only drawback to this is that when you need to get underneath the very front of the car for any reason (which hopefully is not an everyday thing), the entire front clip (bumper cover and splitter) needs to come off as a complete unit. Not a big deal normally, but it was a pain in the *** when working on my foglight duct project.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:37 PM
951TurboEuroSpec
Instructor

Thanks for the comments guys. I will be removing the bumper to install the spoiler just makes sense..
Rich it would be great if you could take some pics and post them. that could help a lot...
Old 09-08-2005, 03:31 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by streckfu's951
Remove the front bumper and drill your holes where the mounting clips are for the stock batwing. It lines up much more easily than doing it on the car.
Just another confirming vote for that method.

I went overkill on the fasteners. Sure, it'll be more of a PITA to access what's above the splitter when the need arises, but I weighed that against the inconvenience of being somewhere and knocking it half off and dragging it back home.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:11 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

This is where the 3 bolts go on each fender. (3 on each side.) They are 10mm (IIRC)

There is also a metal frame that goes there as well. It will be obvious when you take it apart - just be sure to memorise it's orientation as you remove it.
Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2005, 10:14 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Before removing the bumper: remember to detach the turn and fog light harnesses, the tow-hook cover, and the intercooler/rad ducts if reqd'.

Once you've removed the bumper, you can lay it up with the AIR splitter and mark where the holes need to be drilled.

I simply used a bunch of thick bolts, with washers, and TWO nuts on each bolt, to help prevent them from coming loose - one nut tends to come loose easy, and if you try to tighten it too much, it rips the fibreglass. Two nuts are better.
Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2005, 10:17 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Here you can see the result of 1 year (12,500 miles) of daily driving in the city and highway. There is one major crack which was my fault... underestimated the steepness of a mall garage exit. The rest is just from the splitter grinding flat against the pavement as I'm going 50kph hitting a humpy part of road and sanding down the splitter.
Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2005, 10:20 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

The thing I like about this setup is that the splitter's bottom is smooooooth. (better aero, I'm **** like that...) Nothing to get caught on and nothing to facilitate ripping the splitter off the bumper.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:14 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Thanks for the picts.

Quick Reply: Installing the AIR spoiler.