Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Gees, my 87 turbo still did not sell

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 07:57 PM
tammons
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gees, my 87 turbo still did not sell

And I dont get it. I barely missed one sale at $7500 and I guess there are just no more people out there looking for a nice 87, with lsd and S4 brakes and 107k miles, full reciepts, and $13000 in work done in the last 5k miles.

My last Ebay auction ran up to a whopping $4100.

Gees. When I bought the car it had run up to $6950 before I bought it, so I just dont get it.

On top of that the last auction did not even get as high as the guy that bought the 86 that had been underwater with a salvage title.

I am baffled.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:01 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a matter of finding the right person in the market, your price is great as is the car.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:10 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

post up some pics, I have a friend here who is looking in that price range. He has a car spotted in San Antonio, red, and a black one in Michigan.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Theo951
Advanced

Hi,
if you do not need the money, just keep your car in your garage.
Me and my friends from Germany we have noticed now days how much those cars are appreciated.
The prices are getting up every year & recently Konstatin, an old good rennlister in this forum said that the 944T Cup it located is in the best show room at the Porsche factory in Leipzig.
Kr
Theo
Old 09-07-2005, 08:21 PM
tammons
Pro

Originally Posted by Ski
post up some pics, I have a friend here who is looking in that price range. He has a car spotted in San Antonio, red, and a black one in Michigan.
Thanks. I have too many cars. I also have 2 928's.

I can take some high rez pics too if need be.

PM me or have him Email me.

http://www.pbase.com/tammons/951
Old 09-07-2005, 08:39 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

While I have not seen your car up close, the interior looks pretty rough. Maybe that is why people are shying away from it. It's funny, you can have a pretty car that is mechanically a wreck but people will want it more than a perfect mechanical car that is cosmetically challenged. Looks like a good canidate to gut and track it!
Old 09-07-2005, 08:45 PM
tammons
Pro

Originally Posted by gmsracing
While I have not seen your car up close, the interior looks pretty rough. Maybe that is why people are shying away from it. It's funny, you can have a pretty car that is mechanically a wreck but people will want it more than a perfect mechanical car that is cosmetically challenged. Looks like a good canidate to gut and track it!
Its really too nice to gut, but that would be an option, as its lsd and already has the right brakes on it.

Actually the interior is a lot nicer than it looks. The dash is craked though, and it does have those brown spots on it. I took those photos when it was cloudy. Maybe I should re-shoot it.

Funny, if i did a complete detail and dyed everything, it probably would sell in a heartbeat, but it would be exactly the same car.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:24 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's very seasonal, and the market seems to be saturated now. Keep in mind the summer is slowly creeping away, people are pissed at the damn gas market, and folks are starting to shift towards the holiday$. Maybe even wraping up exterior stuff and interior nicieties for the winter.

You say FL has year round driving weather? Hold on to your hat.

Hang on to her till Spring or maybe around Xmas when a little cash might get freed up in the form of gifts!!
Old 09-07-2005, 09:27 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep - market for cars is awful right now. Everyone that needs one has one, gas prices are holding down demand further, etc. Not to mention summer is over. Plus interest rates are so low, a lot of people are opting to buy new vehicles rather than someone else's problems. . .

Nice looking ride though.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:40 PM
SBeach
Track Day

I agree with what everyone else said. With gas at the better part of $4 and the holidays around the corner my wife would frown if I came home with a new toy. I'm guessing I'm not alone. As something of an e bay addict I will say that your auction (the actual listing) is critical. While you certainly don't want to lie there is no doubt that auctions that provide
explicit descriptions, photos and graphics draw a better end price than a basic "1987 Porsche 944, red /black, 120K"
and that's it kinda listing. I've been selling stuff on e bay for a few years and have found that auctions that look impressive do indeed garner higher bids. I didn't see your auction in particular but if you give it another go around come spring time (and if you haven't already) take some time to check out how some of the bigger auto sellers (usually dealers) set up their listings. Just for $hits and giggles I was looking at the Ferrari listings today. Most any one of them would provide a good example of what I'm talking about. There was a 944 auction
a short time back that even had a mpeg clip of the car itself in action. Hold off till spring if you can....
Old 09-07-2005, 09:59 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Keep trying and be sure to get a Rennlist classified up. I just bought an '87 951 myself, for a good bit more than $7500, and was happy to pay it. My car came with LSD, sport seats, sport suspension, ABS, perfect interior and dash and its a nice non-red color, but the exterior was by no means perfect, so I am guessing your $7500 price is a bit low, given the LSD and big brakes.

Regards,
Old 09-07-2005, 10:09 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Tammons, drop me an email with your phone # and best time to call.
Hi Scott, Did you get my email about the engine?
Old 09-07-2005, 10:31 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I saw that car, and was ready to buy it (really wanted it too). I'm over1g @ebay. I asked for your phone #, and called you, more than once. You didn't pick up... I bought another car (the day your auction was over). Yours was the one I wanted, honest. I was willing to pay a lot more than $7k for it as well. Not to sound mean but I won't chase after a seller.
Ahmet
Old 09-07-2005, 11:06 PM
tammons
Pro

Originally Posted by Ahmet
I saw that car, and was ready to buy it (really wanted it too). I'm over1g @ebay. I asked for your phone #, and called you, more than once. You didn't pick up... I bought another car (the day your auction was over). Yours was the one I wanted, honest. I was willing to pay a lot more than $7k for it as well. Not to sound mean but I won't chase after a seller.
Ahmet
I probably was not in. I am a pretty busy guy. If you would have left a message, I would have returned your call promptly.

Well I hope you got a good car anyway.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:18 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey, that is a BEAUTIFUL color. Slate gray? I'm in NY so it wouldn't work out too well...but good luck on selling it!

Quick Reply: Gees, my 87 turbo still did not sell