Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

The MegaSquirt Thread (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 11:16 AM
aben8057
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a fun project with all those components and mc's. How is the reading material supplied by MS? I would think that someone without any electronic knowledge would find this project a challenge.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:23 AM
CurlyDE
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep us informed on your progress. I will hopefully be trying this on my NA ... whenever I get the engine back in it.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:17 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smkn951
any price yet?
$240US after shipping for what you see there. Add in a harness (you can make your own if you want), tools to solder it if you dont have them, a laptop for tuning, and whatever is needed to install it in the car (varies on setup but there isnt much for most people, a Ford EDIS setup is about $100 I think).

For buying, I went through www.glens-garage.com
Old 08-18-2005, 12:21 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanR 1201
This is interesting. Does it also manage spark?
Assuming you want it to and have the sensors, yes it can. Itll do everything from a basic dizzy to Coil on Plug on a four cyl (requires cam sensors and such though).
Old 08-18-2005, 12:32 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aben8057
Looks like a fun project with all those components and mc's. How is the reading material supplied by MS? I would think that someone without any electronic knowledge would find this project a challenge.
There are companies that assemble the kits:

http://www.rs-autosport.com/

It sounds like a good service because they test them. I have no soldering skills myself so if I give MS a shot I will have it built.

Brian-

What is your planned setup? Fuel only? Ignition with EDIS? 60-2? Stock sensors?
Old 08-18-2005, 01:28 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by macnewma
There are companies that assemble the kits:

http://www.rs-autosport.com/

It sounds like a good service because they test them. I have no soldering skills myself so if I give MS a shot I will have it built.

Brian-

What is your planned setup? Fuel only? Ignition with EDIS? 60-2? Stock sensors?
Fuel only at first, piggyback style. There is a guy who has developed a PIC microprocessor powered module that im waiting for. It will go between the speed reference sensors and the MegaSquirt and downsample the signals, letting me use the stock sensors. This would eliminate the need for EDIS, HEI, whatever else. Without it, the stock sensors are too much for the MS, too many pulses. This box is the key for 80s Audis, BMWs, and Porsches As far as the MS would be concerned, it would be like the car has a 60-1 trigger wheel. Add some coilpacks into that and I have wasted spark. Add a cam sensor to that, Coil on Plug All via the MegaSquirt, nothing extrenious besides the PIC box.

I chose to wait for the PIC board, since I just replaced the speed/reference sensors, and I figured might was well make it look stock and all that Plus I didnt want to fiddle around mounting the trigger wheel and EDIS sensor
Old 08-18-2005, 03:30 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

12X12 resolution...

thats only every 500 rpm increment. isnt that a little broad. especially for you ppl running high boost?
Old 08-18-2005, 03:54 PM
johne
Burning Brakes

Campeck,
Not if the computer does interpolation between zones, as the megasquirt does.

-John
Old 08-18-2005, 03:57 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Brian, whats the PIC board going to cost? Keep all that ordering info, or post it up here. I'd like to run that as well, if its cheaper than mounting an extra trigger wheel.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:59 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Brian, could you post the info or a link for that PIC controller? Do you know how accurate it is?

If I can run it off of stock sensors I will probably put one of these together this winter.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:07 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Is it that KSP guy from Latvia on the msefi forums? I was under the impression there was still a good deal at development left on that project. But you have said you're capable of coding stuff, right? I'm a mech-e, I can't do spark-e math beyond V=IR. (can't or don't want to...)

If you're taking on the task of getting the PIC to work with your car, let me know any way I can help, especially if it means we can build up/test 2 at a time and I get the second!
Old 08-18-2005, 04:12 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

If its the guy I'm thinking it is, this is his description and contact info:
Originally Posted by ksp
Originally Posted by efahl
Of course, but are you willing to spend that much time on a one-off project?
Well, we've already done it. The development was with the Audi original 135 teeth flywheel decoding in mind, but now it can decode missing teeth wheels as well. Other major function is coil-on-plug support. That's a small add-on board based on PIC uC. We have about 10 cars running on it, almost all turbos - some Audi S2, Audi S4, three Audi 80Q rallycars with 20VT implants, and even an Audi RS2 (yes, that beast runs on MS, too !!!). Missing teeth decoding is used on an Opel 60-2 wheel and on one weird boat engine. Our installs for the S-cars went this way - Motronic has been plugged out, in goes one short adapter cable to connect the car harness to the MS connector, and a new IAT sensor is installed. DONE. Start tuning.

Some features:
* 3 input signal (RPM, Zero, Cam) decoding
* 2 input signal (RPM, Zero) decoding for wasted spark
* 2 input signal (MT-wheel, Cam) decoding
* 1 input signal (MT-wheel) decoding for wasted spark
* Error correction and indication
* Configurable trigger output to Megasquirt - the best feature is that one could run the wheel decoder with practically any MS firmware - MS v3.0, MSS, MS2, Extra etc.
* Coil-on-plug with maximum of 6 cylinders (it could be more, but there is too small time for the dwell, and the PIC is lacking output pins). It simply takes the signal from MS and distributes to the right cylinder.

Now, the main point. I could release the code and almost all of the design to the public, but I really have no time to support it. Instead, I have time to explain the design and code, and answer questions to the volunteer from the MS comunity. The code is not very difficult, considering that PIC is built on RISC architecture - it has only 35 commands. I'd like to think that I have well commented the code. HW design is very simple. I'm sure that everyone who is coding for MS, will be able to support it. Btw, the Microchip's MPLAB development suite has a very nice simulator and signal generator for the PIC, you can simulate the code entirely on the PC. That speeds the learning and developing very very much.

But, as I said, I will not release the code, if no one is going to take the burden of support. Maybe, you, Eric? Since you are an Audi fanatic (in the N-america, wow) and a brilliant coder, it makes you a good candidate But I'm open to everyone else, as well.

ksp

p.s. If Al and/or Bruce are interested, I could send the code to them nevertheless.
From this thread...

http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=9501
Old 08-18-2005, 04:21 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

As evidence of my spark-e dumbtitude, I had to google "PIC uC" to see what the heck they were talking about. This site:

http://kahuna.sdsu.edu/~tucker/pic/

...has a very detailed and easy to understand description. I learn something every day.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:29 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

I got mine from RS autosport. GREAT GUY - Rodney is his name.

I used the relay board design for the 928, and have everything ready to wire up in the car when the engine goes in.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:30 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanG
Is it that KSP guy from Latvia on the msefi forums? I was under the impression there was still a good deal at development left on that project. But you have said you're capable of coding stuff, right? I'm a mech-e, I can't do spark-e math beyond V=IR. (can't or don't want to...)

If you're taking on the task of getting the PIC to work with your car, let me know any way I can help, especially if it means we can build up/test 2 at a time and I get the second!
No, its all developed and already running in 5-10 Audis which use a setup like ours. Getting it to work on a 944 means changing just one bit of code I think, and thats the number of flywheel teeth. As far as I know, he just doesnt want to release it until theres someone out there to support it and answer questions since hes too busy. I think ill email him and offer to do it.

My coding skills are fairly limited but I should be able to manage the PIC... I hope

Quick Reply: The MegaSquirt Thread (pics)