Vitesse Stage III Installed and Running

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 08:25 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
. I'm thinking of getting a set up like the one that David Floyd has (I have to PM him to find out where he got it.) .)
www.jegs.com Moroso #68781
Old 08-01-2005, 08:26 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Reno: You have a 67 Shelby Mustang and you need to worry about getting a tax return for car parts? Most of the guys I hear of with a Shelby Mustang in their garage are getting phone calls from the government asking if THEY can borrow a few bucks.....*lol*
Old 08-01-2005, 10:29 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

On the j-pipe that connects the MAF to the turbo there are two fittings on the engine side (opposite the fender) that I have currently plugged off. Would it be OK to run a line from the oil tank to the larger of the two fittings? I realize this is before the turbo and probably not a vacuum fitting but if I recall correctly this is where the lines under the intake manifold run to. Does this make sense?
This is exactly where I recommend you run the hose to, to the larger of the 2 fittings.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:43 PM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

solo, what wastegate are you running?
Old 08-01-2005, 11:26 PM
JDeitz951
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fast951
I strongly recommend you route the catch can back to the J-pipe.. I have seen too many problems when not routed.
John, can you elaborate on this? What kind of problems?
Old 08-02-2005, 12:53 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JDeitz951
John, can you elaborate on this? What kind of problems?

If the crankcase pressure gets high, and it will unless you vacuum it out, the turbo will not drain properly. With improper drainage, the turbo will flood, leaks or you'll just see a puff of smoke.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:52 AM
AlexE
Pro

Solo

I also ran into similar issues with lindseys hard pipes. I had to grind the one pipe down as well to fit.........

I am also running lindseys catch can with the moroso cap that David Floyd mentioned.

I also strapped the catch can against the side of the strut tower. I used the 2 slits on the tower to use a large clamp to strap the catch can. I dont like the mounting location that lindsey uses on the cam tower so I moved it. I had to do a couple of minor modifications on the catch can and cap to allow fitment on the side as well as keeping the cap from hitting the hood.

If you feel adventurous to turn up the boost......... JUST DO IT SLOWLY and CAUTIOUSLY.
Its really easy to blow a head gasket. My own personal experience with John's turbos is that they really want to flow allllot of air............ and you start getting quite COCKY with that little boost controller .....in the hands of us rookies......... well you know what happens.

His turbos just want to flow more and more air........ its not like those K26,k27.....that just run out of steam.

I am running his stage 2 and the difference between 15 and 18 psi is actually......... alarming.

......... but linear power is a good thing..........ride out the rest of the summer at 15 psi and enjoy the car. Next year you can open her up and we can go run 40 psi at BUd park up here.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:39 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Solo, what dime said.....
Old 08-02-2005, 11:32 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

I have a 46 mm Tial wastegate and am using a Greddy Profec B boost controller.

AlexE: Thanks for the advice. Are you a member of the Polar Region PCA?

Last edited by SoloRacer; 08-02-2005 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:52 AM
JDeitz951
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

...David Lindsey recommended trying to melt out the hole so I heated up a punch, inserted it in the hole (holding it with a pair of vice grips so that it couldn't be dropped into the engine) and proceeded to enlarge the hole. It took all of 10 minutes...
Melting! Brilliant! How small is the original hole and how big did you make it?

...I was sent the wrong catch can (the one I ordered was supposed to be polished with the mounting bracket welded on but what I received was an unpolished universal kit)...
Funny, I wanted to be a cheapskate and ordered the plain finish, but they only had shiny one's in stock, so that's what they sent me. I didn't complain!

Originally Posted by fast951
If the crankcase pressure gets high, and it will unless you vacuum it out, the turbo will not drain properly. With improper drainage, the turbo will flood, leaks or you'll just see a puff of smoke.
So, fast951, are you saying that the oiling system requires a negative pressure in the crankcase for full efficiency? If so, I will be getting a hose on there real soon.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:54 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ABSOLUTELY - you MUST have vacuum in the crankcase on a 951.
In my opinion, countless 951's have had NEEDLESS guide and ring work just because their turbo exhaust seals have overloaded at vac and spilled into the exhaust.
Experience talking, not bull****.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:54 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

special tool: Just looking at your performance numbers and was wondering how they were acheived. I've also got the Vitesse Stage III and I know that I'm no where near 472 rwhp at 1 bar of boost. Was this number acheived at a higher boost level? If so, did you run race fuel for that run? You appear to be spooling 200 rpm sooner than I am also. I'm not flaming you I'm just wondering what I need to do to get similar performance. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:59 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Originally Posted by JDeitz951
Melting! Brilliant! How small is the original hole and how big did you make it?
I don't know the exact sizes but I enlarged to be almost the same size as the fitting that the vacuum line attaches to.

Funny, I wanted to be a cheapskate and ordered the plain finish, but they only had shiny one's in stock, so that's what they sent me. I didn't complain!
Sounds like you got my order...I'm thinking you should send yours to me and I'll ship mine to you.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:03 PM
AlexE
Pro

I have a 46 mm Tial wastegate and am using a Greddy Profec B boost controller.

AlexE: Thanks for the advice. Are you a member of the Polar Region PCA?

Yup....... Polar for me.

JustinL and Dan are up here as well.

We are slowly surprising the old guard here during auto-x (pretty much a road course)......... I am slowly getting used to the power. The power oversteer at 100+ is quite an eye opener for me.

THe 944's are making up ~2 seconds every week. Those 996 turbos are within striking distance.......... well for Dan anyways.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:17 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

I'm the Safety Chair and organizer of the Wild Rose auto-x (same thing as yours - pretty much a road course) events. We actually have one going on this evening at race city. What is the set up on your car (turbo, suspension, etc.)?

Quick Reply: Vitesse Stage III Installed and Running