OT: 1,036rwhp 183cubic inches, DAILY DRIVER

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 02:51 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by toddk911
Well we all have seen super high hp Supras, but this one is a daily driver!!

And I never realized the motors were that small. I thought like 200+ci.

"“Sin City Supra
1,034 Horsepower to the wheels @ 36psi boost”

By Jasper Chan
Photography: Robert Choo

While we’re always a sucker for high-horsepower Supras, we were drawn to Sin City after hearing of the Hayabusa-killing Supra of Garth Weaver. We had to hunt down for ourselves the legendary ’94 Supra that, at least on film, blew away a fixed-up Hayabusa motorcycle piloted by a good racer.

Before we get to that race of lore, how Garth hunted down his own Supra is also interesting. Garth has previously owned several different vehicles, from a Porsche 911 and 928, to a blown and nitrous-fed Chevy Pro-Street Truck, a Lingenfelter 420 and C6 Corvettes. His first experience with a MKIV was in 1998. He was at the races with his unbeaten Lingenfelter. A white MKIV drives up and the owner asks if he wants to run for $500. Garth and a friend talk it over and say “Sure, it’s just a six cylinder, we’ll enjoy taking his money.” Well, that didn’t happen. He lost to the Supra and was out five bills.

Garth was amazed, but not convinced. He researched these six-cylinder turbo cars and found they not only could make a lot of power for such a small package but the stock bottom end was amazingly strong. He did what any sane man would do and sold his Lingenfelter Corvette and started the search for a clean six-speed MKIV. He checked out the Net, at Autotrader and other Web sites.

In 2002, he found a 59,000-mile, white 1994 six-speed in Arizona. Ryan Woon was the owner’s name and he gave Garth the fastest ride he’d ever had. After that convincing ride, Garth became the proud owner of a Supra with a T-66 with the normal APU upgrades that made 696 whp. At that stage, the car had run a best e.t. of 10.56 at 134 mph. Garth soon felt it was time to step it up to the next level and enlisted the skills of Virtual Works Racing (VWR) in Las Vegas, Nev. VWR, as our readers know from last month’s Lexus, is a proven high-performance shop.

Garth and Dana Westover, the shop owner, decided to go with a built short block and head. The boring and machining was done by friend and long-time VWR associate, Adam Dahl, of Allied Machine, also in Las Vegas. Adam specializes in high-horsepower boosted engines. The overall assembly is a partnership between Dana and Adam. They started with a .020-over fresh block, Arias pistons, Crower H-beam rods, Carr bolts, VWR ported-and-polished head with Ferrea 1mm oversize valves with titanium retainers and locks, Crower valve springs and HKS 272 cams. The head porting and polishing was done by Ben Waage of VWR.

VWR fabricated the turbo kit as well as the custom 4-inch intake piping and 5-inch custom fresh air intake with 10-inch air filter. A VWR intake manifold, 90mm throttle body, custom VWR stainless-steel 4-inch downpipe and exhaust were installed. Garth chose, along with the VWR intake, a 90mm Accufab throttle body to feed the 2JZ head. “I had done extensive research on the manifold and made the decision to purchase it. The manifold works. Period.”

The VWR "End All" fuel system consists of three Walbro pumps, Aeromotive fuel filters with braided line, Weldon fuel pressure regulator and 160 lb/hr. injectors. The size of the injectors was determined by the power Garth wanted to achieve. As Garth adds, “They are actually quite streetable with the right combination and tune.”

Garth’s goals were for around 900-plus whp, but to keep the car streetable with A/C and smooth idle. As for a turbo setup, Dana suggested the Garrett GT42 (76mm compressor wheel) because he was using the same turbo on his race car. On Dana's car, this setup had made more power than the GT-76S. Garth needed the power for his main objective: hunting Hayabusas, GXSRs and other big-bore bikes.Says Garth, “I love highway rolls! I knew at the beginning of my build that this would shape my goals for the car. I wanted bulk power to beat the bikes I had been beaten by with my T-72 setup.”

For the drivetrain, Garth recently upgraded the clutch to an RPS carbon-carbon setup with a chrome-moly flywheel. Garth swears it’s “great for hardcore drag racing and roll-ons. I can't believe how streetable this clutch is.”

The night Garth received the phone call that the car was ready to fire up, he could hardly get to the shop fast enough. The car started and ran with no problems. It sounded awesome. Garth told us “the power band is very linear. It starts building boost around 4500 rpm and continues ’till redline, around 8600 rpm. I like to get the car around 6200 rpm for a nasty launch or roll-on and nail it.”

Because the engine modifications are attention-grabbing, we forgot to mention that Garth’s first upgrade was actually the wheels and tires. He had an RMM carbon-fiber wing already and thought a black-centered wheel would look good. He decided to go with the K-58s from Kinesis Wheels. The wheels are 9x18 fronts with 245/40/18 G-force KDs and 10.5x18 rears with 295/35/18 drag radials.

How did it do? Garth had recently re-ran a modified Hayabusa (around 180 whp) with a pro rider from a first gear roll. The bike had beaten Garth before so Garth was eager to even the score.

“I arrived at the normal location and agreed to do a 20 mph roll with the ‘Busa. We were paired up even, I was at 6400 rpm with no brake boost and we left, a little tire spin, but not bad. I got out on him and never looked back. I ended up in 6th at around 200 mph about 10-plus car lengths in front. Awesome.” The previous race with the bike Garth was running the stock motor with 264 cams and a GCC VPC setup on a GT-72 DBB making 706 whp. Garth says, “The bike would get out on me about 5 car lengths on the jump and I could never catch it after that. The difference between 700 whp and 1,000 whp is simply amazing.I found out that you need more than 800 whp to beat a Hayabusa in a roll on, especially a modded bike with a good rider. This car eats the stock ‘Busa's!!! Who would ever thought 3500-pound cars would be beating bikes?” Mmmmmm, ‘Busa’s for a late-night snack.

Garth felt the combination was perfect for what he wanted, “a big power-making, roll-on machine. Good spool, big power and drivability. A professionally built engine with the right combination is lethal.I have never been in a car that pulls in every gear like this car! I love it.” As you can tell, Garth is one satisfied customer and a happy camper.

When you have a car that has drawn this much attention, you need the numbers to back it up. Garth used NRP Racing’s Dynojet, filled the car with C-16, and mounted up the BFG drag radials. The first pull was at 23 psi and delivered 814 whp. Dana continued to tune and make pulls, with the best run of the session being a 1,034.96 whp at 36 psi. Keep in mind that Garth is running the car at this same state of tune on the street!

After the dyno, one of the dyno shop's employees couldn't believe the power that this little 3.0-liter, 183ci engine made, so Garth offered him a ride up the I-15 freeway. The employee had never been in a 1,000-plus whp car.

Garth tells how the ride went. “I get on the freeway, middle lane, shift into second, ease into the throttle, boost comes on at about 4500 rpm and the VWR Racing 4-inch exhaust rasps and we go into the right lane then back to the left lane. Scary ride. I try it from third gear. The car hooks better in third and we go from third to fourth and the best way to describe it is crazy, hard-pulling, intense power. The employee tells me, ‘That is the fastest ride I’ve ever experienced! That thing is sick fast.” One thousand-plus whp is not for the faint of heart. Garth feels the car still has more power left in it and plans to use the single fogger NX NOS system to pull it out. Until then, all Hayabusas stay on point for a white Supra lurking in your midst.
WHAT A WONDERFUL BEDTIME STORY.

start in the middle, then right lane, then centerlane, going how fast.

i wonder if the danger to other people on that stretch of road ever came into play for this fun.

do it where you can only kill yourself.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:10 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porschefile
I'm talking about a majority of mk4 guys. Not too many build their engines to rev higher like that. Lots of them throw a T88 on, or some other ridiculously large turbo, and make full boost by 4.5-5k with a stock redline which is considerably lower than 8k rpm.
stock redline is 7k to start with and a simple ecu mod will raise the redline 500rpm easily. And most owners dont throw on t88's. Those who do have ecu and drivetrain mods to let them rev to 8k. Most of them by 70mm turbo's that spool up at 4-4.2k and rev to 7.5k Thats the norm. If you think I am full of it look at most of the turbo upgrade kits that tuners sell for the mk4. Very rairly will you see a turbo kit designed to get full boost a 5.5k rpm's...and if you do they rev really high cause they are going for the big power....like this above article. There arent many supras running 1000rwhp. Most guys have good powerband daily driven supras in the 600-700rwhp range. Ofcourse for every APU supra there are two BPU's. I live in texas were the supra community is strong....I have seen and been around enough of them to know whats false info and what isint.

saying a typical supra owner is a ricer who buys a big turbo too make full power for 500 to 1k rpm's is a pretty offbase. Well not pretty offbase....very offbase.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:26 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

I live in Austin, which is the single turbo Mk4 Supra capitol of the WORLD! Seriously, there are so many here it's ridiculous. Boost Logic and Performance Motorsports are located in ATX as well, and they are well known in the Supra world. Trust me, I have Supra experience as well. I was being a little sarcastic when I said T88's. However T78 Mk4's are pretty common in Austin.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:32 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Porschefile
I live in Austin, which is the single turbo Mk4 Supra capitol of the WORLD! Seriously, there are so many here it's ridiculous. Boost Logic and Performance Motorsports are located in ATX as well, and they are well known in the Supra world. Trust me, I have Supra experience as well. I was being a little sarcastic when I said T88's. However T78 Mk4's are pretty common in Austin.
yes your comment was pretty sarcastic. I live in dallas....where if you want to find a 1100hp supra you can. I have been around plenty and your comments about the common supra owner just arent true. Sure they are always going to be idiots...but, most supra owners are BPU or small single'd. All the bpu's I know of are in the 400's and get full boost around the 3.8k mark. The single's are mostly t66 or 70mm ones...getting full boost shortly after 4k. And all the single guys I know...every single one of them have their revlimit raised. Everyone.

Are their single turbo supras out there running stock revlimit...I am sure their are but, they arent the norm and dont make up the majority. Hell I know of a couple of guys running t78's on stock fuel. They will buy fuel mods later. They make their 450-500 on stock fuel and drive it like that. Do I agree with that...nope....but, that doesnt make it the norm.

Did you go to the texas supra meet?(the biggest supra GTG besides vegas)
Old 07-03-2005, 02:31 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Oh wow, I know two guys personal with 1000+ h.p. supras simply incredible. I also know soemone with the lightest documents MK IV TT and simply sick. A year ago I posted about a ride in it and it turned into a ten page mess that had to be locked. Guys face it there are some absolutely incredible jap cars out there that are good for a ton more than drifting and dragging. Some that come to mind third gen RX7, Z32 (although heavy), 240 SX (bad name now but awesome car), Supra, and the list can go on. I love all cars I just choose to own a Porsche.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:31 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Oh and cams will raise the redline to 8 grand.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:16 AM
special tool
Banned

Black - thanks for the info.
Cams will raise powerband, but it also needs to have electronic limits removed.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:59 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
yes your comment was pretty sarcastic. I live in dallas....where if you want to find a 1100hp supra you can. I have been around plenty and your comments about the common supra owner just arent true. Sure they are always going to be idiots...but, most supra owners are BPU or small single'd. All the bpu's I know of are in the 400's and get full boost around the 3.8k mark. The single's are mostly t66 or 70mm ones...getting full boost shortly after 4k. And all the single guys I know...every single one of them have their revlimit raised. Everyone.

Are their single turbo supras out there running stock revlimit...I am sure their are but, they arent the norm and dont make up the majority. Hell I know of a couple of guys running t78's on stock fuel. They will buy fuel mods later. They make their 450-500 on stock fuel and drive it like that. Do I agree with that...nope....but, that doesnt make it the norm.

Did you go to the texas supra meet?(the biggest supra GTG besides vegas)

Nope, didn't go to Tx2k5. I had to work that whole week and couldn't go on either of the days it was held. I wasn't saying every mk4 owner is like that. It just seems like quite a few are.

Why is this post in the 944 forum anyways?!
Old 07-04-2005, 12:05 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

eh who knows. Someone everyonce in awhile will make a supra post and people get their panties in a bunch over the power they make ect.

I guess because we are supposed to love all sports car and be into auto's in general..not just 951's. I wish people could have a more broad love for cars like I do sometimes. Doesnt matter weither its a 951 or a cobra or a neon....I can appreciate when something is done correctly..and has a real market. Most people seem to bash what they dont understand....

I guess people just dont care to now anything about other cars...they might not respect. Jap cars for instance.

Thats okay people like us will continue to laugh at those who mock. Take them out to the track and see if they laugh.

BTW did you attend texas mile this year? Did you see the turbo busa 251mph run?? Some of the single turbo supra guys where in the 200's.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:27 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"do it where you can only kill yourself"

They were. This was on the 215 outside Vegas and there is NO ONE and NOTHING out there. Just miles of open dry straight roads. I actually saw the video of the race. Just google it. I think "Vegas supra busa" or something like that and you will find it.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:29 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"Did you see the turbo busa 251mph run?? "

I saw the bike dyno compition where a turbo Busa (purpose built) laid down 701hp at the rear wheel
Old 07-04-2005, 01:35 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

PARTS LIST:

turbo: Garrett GT42
pistons: Arias
rods: Crower
head: ported
cams: HKS 272
boost: 36psi
injectors: 1600cc
pumps: Walbro x3
fmic: GReddy 3-row
clutch: ACT
nitrous:
rwhp: 1035 (dynojet)
circa 1217hp at the flywheel

ENGINE:
20 over short block
Arias pistons
Crower H beam rods w/Carr bolts
Virtual Works Racing ported & polished head
Ferrera oversized valves
Crower springs & retainers
Virtual Works Racing GT42-76DBB turbo kit
Virtual Works Racing intake manifold w/90mm throttle body
Virtual Works Racing custom intercooler piping
Virtual Works Racing 4” SS down pipe and exhaust
GReddy 3-row FMIC
NOS NX single fogger (never used yet)
FUEL:
3 Walbro pumps
Custom hanger
#8 braided fuel lines
Aeromotive fuel filters
Weldon Fuel regulator
Polished fuel rail
1600cc injectors (x6)
ELECTRONICS:
AEM ECU
5-bar map sensor
FJO A/F meter
HKS DLI
DRIVETRAIN:
RPS C/C
B/M Billet short shifter
BRAKES/CHASSIS:
Akuta Drilled/ Sloted rotors Front & Rear
Ceramicool Pads front: D-629, rear: D-630
Goodrich S/S brake lines F/R
WHEELS/TIRES:
Kinesis K-58 with black 5 spoke centers
9x18” / 10.5x18”
245/40/18” BF Goodrich G-force KD’s
295/35/18" BF Goodrich Drag Radials
INTERIOR:
Apexi EL1 gauges
GReddy Turbo timer
EXTERIOR:
RMM carbon fibre wing
Old 07-04-2005, 01:44 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

here is the race in question:

http://www.badassride.com/vide...a.wmv

There is some lead up then 2 runs.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:30 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

replace the ... in the link with the full URL please .
Old 07-04-2005, 05:44 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

I'm an automotive enthusiast and have much respect for Japanese cars as well. I think there is a lot that we can learn from them, as they are on the cutting edge of technology in many areas. I hope my comments didn't seem like I was knocking the Supra. I love Supras and think it's amazing what people have acheived with them.

Quick Reply: OT: 1,036rwhp 183cubic inches, DAILY DRIVER