Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

would anyone be interested in a piggy back group buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 12:46 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that he would have realized who sold and supported the SMT6 and had enough character not to do what he did...or I would hope that. Wes, you sell brand BR549 for $200 and you are a certified dealer in your area. Joe Blow starts posting signs in your region for BR549 for $89.95. Who are you going to call? It wasn't good business or anywhere near a class act. I understand his intentions and I think that they were honest and sincere but it was the wrong place to do it is my belief.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:46 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lart - 8.5
Old 05-23-2005, 12:53 PM
RAD69
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You did not answer my question, 8.5 or not.

I am not gonna sit here and defend him and get into my own flame war about rules. Nobody posted about forums rules until someone defended him - now you yell foul? And why tell me? Are you saying that becasue he may have broken a rule he deserved it? Like it or not the reactions were over the top and BTW - smackdowns are lame.

You may need to re-read the rules your self. There is a section on flaming other members. This thread is getting dangerously close...
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ski
I think that he would have realized who sold and supported the SMT6 and had enough character not to do what he did...or I would hope that. Wes, you sell brand BR549 for $200 and you are a certified dealer in your area. Joe Blow starts posting signs in your region for BR549 for $89.95. Who are you going to call? It wasn't good business or anywhere near a class act. I understand his intentions and I think that they were honest and sincere but it was the wrong place to do it is my belief.

Ski,
I understand what your saying as I deal with it all the time in my line of work. Dell sells the same computer that we sell for $200 less. Ok, well first of all to get any support from them you have to call India and if it need worked on you have to send it in and be without a computer for weeks or months. Yea, ours is $200 more, but its fully upgradable, quality parts and all you have to do is drive 5min uptown to have it serviced. Not to mention talk to a real American person.

Its a cut throat business, people will buy the less expensive thing to save money. Realize its a POS that has no service. Next time around, they'll spend that extra money to get the service and talk to quality people. I know where I stand, but as I said IMHO it was blown out of perportion.
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by special tool
Lart - 8.5
Dude come on, I am trying to earn my 5% discount from John
Old 05-23-2005, 01:03 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by WesM951
I know where I stand, but as I said IMHO it was blown out of perportion.
Yes wes it was blown out of "PERPORTION" ( whatever that means) but not out of PROPORTION
Old 05-23-2005, 01:04 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by RAD69
Nobody posted about forums rules until someone defended him - now you yell foul? And why tell me? Are you saying that becasue he may have broken a rule he deserved it? Like it or not the reactions were over the top and BTW - smackdowns are lame.

You may need to re-read the rules your self. There is a section on flaming other members. This thread is getting dangerously close...

I mentioned in the first reply that permission was needed. Also, part of registering is agreeing to the terms of the charter which, apparently, wasn't done by either of you.

You cannot come onto this forum without reading the rules and then complain about them being pointed out to you.

Go read the rules and charter before posting again.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:24 PM
RAD69
6th Gear

Originally Posted by streckfu's951
I mentioned in the first reply that permission was needed. Also, part of registering is agreeing to the terms of the charter which, apparently, wasn't done by either of you.

You cannot come onto this forum without reading the rules and then complain about them being pointed out to you.

Go read the rules and charter before posting again.
Huh? I read the rules, what did I do wrong? How did I break the rules? Is it my turn in the flame fest?

I am not complaining about anyone saying aixgelo78 broke the rules, I read them. I was noting that when I defended aixgelo78 and said that you guys should not flame him I get told to read the rules which has no revelvance to my post. Unless you are saying that ppl who break the rules MUST have piles of junk, cannot get their car to run, etc. and deserve to get flamed.

My post was that he did not deserve to be flamed, whether he broke the rules or not - I do not dispute that. Now suddenly I am at fault? If you guys want an intelligent discussion about my opinion, then lets have it. The rules have nothing to do with what I said, and I am not interested in arguing over them as there is nothing to argue. Besides most posts in this thread were not about rules at all. The thread was about an enthusiast, not a vendor, who has a hook up and wanted to help out other members and got flamed for it.

BTW - Sorry that I did not see your post about the rules in the beggining of the thread. My bad.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:03 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Rad,
aixgelo78, was pretty confrontational in his posts. This is not an Ebay crowd and many will not be receptive to an unproven product that seems unreasonably cheap. Try selling a new $300 turbo. Even though the SMT6 is proven, aixllo78 offers no insight to his source or any reasonable expectation of support.
Rennlist already has a site sponsor selling this product who is well resected and has a proven history of standing by his product. Trying to undercut such a sponsor with a shady product source will not be well received.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:15 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

The reason why both the ‘new’ guys are getting hassled is that, unlike many other lists, Rennlist is a community. Somebody that has added a lot of value to our community (John) was having his livelihood threatened by a newbie. While the newbie didn’t mean nay harm he/she doesn’t realize that good help and reliable information on our cars can be hard to come by.

5 years ago a 951 with over 300 rwhp was pretty rare and considered to be an impressive feat. Now the bar is up to 400 rwhp. That is because of the development time spent by several ‘smaller’ vendors that aren’t raking in the money that a Honda tuner might. If you under cut them they will go somewhere else and the 951 community will lose a valuable resource.

The other issue is that the product in question requires some R&D to get it functioning. Somebody has invested a bunch of time to accomplish that. If there is a cheap supply of the units it is only a matter of time before his work is copied and distributed with his permission.

Sorry you guys had to suffer the wrath of the list over this, I don’t think that you meant any harm with the initial offer. I would invite you to hang around and become part of the community (take a little time for folks to get to know you) and you may enjoy the positive benefits you may even find the community supporting you with the same sprit some day.

Chris White
Old 05-23-2005, 02:40 PM
RAD69
6th Gear

Originally Posted by streckfu's951
Rad,
aixgelo78, was pretty confrontational in his posts. This is not an Ebay crowd and many will not be receptive to an unproven product that seems unreasonably cheap. Try selling a new $300 turbo. Even though the SMT6 is proven, aixllo78 offers no insight to his source or any reasonable expectation of support.
Rennlist already has a site sponsor selling this product who is well resected and has a proven history of standing by his product. Trying to undercut such a sponsor with a shady product source will not be well received.
I had hoped that you would respond to my questions in my prior post, as I think you were off-base (and confrontational). But why argue...

Aside from that, Aixgelo78 suggested that he may be able to get over 25% off retail in volume, which is not unreasonable at all. Perhaps that you think it is because another vendor marks it up 67% over retail and people do not realize that they are specifically paying extra for support. Additionally, he is not trying to undercut another vendor - he is trying to help out others as he can get a deal even tho it only comes with factory support and not 951 specific support from a well respected vendor in this community. This is not an unporven product nor is his vendor shady. He never gave any details, as it was only a feeler post, you do not have to be an ebay junkie to appreciate saving money. Anyway - he only asked if there was interest, I am sure he never imagined all the grief that he would get.

But you are right - It sounds like John is a guy with loyal customers, that is quite admirable these days and says a lot about him. And again, if you want to spend hundreds more to support him and get the extra level support in return - nobody says you should not. Hell - I know most people would be foolish not to spend the extra dough as they lack the know-how. Just remember that there are some that have the knowledge to do it themselves and want save a significant amount of cash...

I am thiniking that this horse is dead, we should stop beating it...
Old 05-23-2005, 02:48 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Everyone, thank you for the positive support. My main problem was the fact that someone was trying to sell a product at a much cheaper price than the list price. All PP dealers, as stated earlier, must not sell below the list price... Another problem is the support and the way the 951 works with the SMT6. Unless wired and configured properly, it smply would not work. So few people purchase the reduced price unit, they do not work as they should, and now the SMT6 is a piece of junk when it's not.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:49 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RAD69
I am thiniking that this horse is dead, we should stop beating it...
Yea I THINIKING too, this horse should be dead.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:51 PM
RAD69
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Chris White
The reason why both the ‘new’ guys are getting hassled is that, unlike many other lists, Rennlist is a community. Somebody that has added a lot of value to our community (John) was having his livelihood threatened by a newbie. While the newbie didn’t mean nay harm he/she doesn’t realize that good help and reliable information on our cars can be hard to come by.

5 years ago a 951 with over 300 rwhp was pretty rare and considered to be an impressive feat. Now the bar is up to 400 rwhp. That is because of the development time spent by several ‘smaller’ vendors that aren’t raking in the money that a Honda tuner might. If you under cut them they will go somewhere else and the 951 community will lose a valuable resource.

The other issue is that the product in question requires some R&D to get it functioning. Somebody has invested a bunch of time to accomplish that. If there is a cheap supply of the units it is only a matter of time before his work is copied and distributed with his permission.

Sorry you guys had to suffer the wrath of the list over this, I don’t think that you meant any harm with the initial offer. I would invite you to hang around and become part of the community (take a little time for folks to get to know you) and you may enjoy the positive benefits you may even find the community supporting you with the same sprit some day.

Chris White
Thanks for the post. That is what I was looking for, a stand up response...

Now we should talk about your S4. That is my project righ now, when I amdone I am planning on getting a 951 finally...
Old 05-23-2005, 02:53 PM
TT
Racer

Does anybody think it is funny that someone posts that aixgelo78 is trying to organize a group buy that violates the "no more than 10% above or below retail price" rule when John sells it for 67% over retail?
Apparently you need to go back and read all the posts. John has already posted that he will sell just the SMT6 by itself at the retail price:

Oh yes, for those who want a SMT6 for the list price of $349, I can sell it to you not a problem.

PerfectPower's agreement is for the price of their products. They only care that the price of a kit containing their product is not less than the retail price of their product.

Again, a group buy of this product, in this case the SMT6, from a PerfectPower dealer that violates the terms of PerfectPower's dealer agreement regarding price will result in that dealer being denied PerfectPower's products. It has nothing to do with Rennlist and everything to do with PerfectPower trying to keep all their dealers on a level playing field. If you don't believe me, please go to their website and review the dealer agreement or give them a call and they will clear everything up for you.

Quick Reply: would anyone be interested in a piggy back group buy?