Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

would anyone be interested in a piggy back group buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 03:03 PM
MR951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ The horse is DEAD!!!

Originally Posted by Chris White
Sorry you guys had to suffer the wrath of the list over this, I don’t think that you meant any harm with the initial offer. I would invite you to hang around and become part of the community (take a little time for folks to get to know you) and you may enjoy the positive benefits you may even find the community supporting you with the same sprit some day.
I agree!!!
Andy
Instructor

Let me add some things to anyone interested in buying these *blank* SMTs and address prices. I consided buying one a couple of years ago for my Mini Cooper S. John was kind enough to give me a contact of his who had done Mini tuning and sold pre-loaded units (in the neighborhood of $650.) I wanted one programmable because I planned a turbo conversion and needed the tuning capablility. Unfortunately blank units (list $389 or whatever) need to be loaded with the correct parameters of the engine/sensors involved and wiring diagrams generated. This now gets into intellectual property of the tuner/retailer who is free to charge what is fair in the market. This particular person normally only sold programmed and locked units but did offer to sell a unit with preset parameters and wiring diagram but no tuning for the same $650ish. He would not sell an unlocked unit with any of his tuning on it for jeopardy of his intellectual property rights. John's price is not out of line in the market and as all of you know he has the best customer service. I'm as frugal as anybody now that I have 2 kids but what you spend extra will more than be rewarded in time savings/lack of frustration/better tuning. Some people just want to do everything themselves to which I say say "Good Luck."

Andy
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Personally, this group buy might not be such a bad thing. After someone picks up the SMT-6 and spends 3 or 4 days trying to figure out how to wire it themselves, or better yet goes off the PP website instructions, and then they spend another few days trying to figure out the global settings and how to actually tune the thing, they’ll just give up and contact Vitesse who can sell his wiring diagram and tuning support for $500 without having to warranty the actual product. At that point the same person will probably have bought the universal MAF off of the other thread and when they will wonder why they’re a down on power and drivability because they don’t have the correct transfer function on their brand X chips……. They’ll pony up the $ for a set of Vitesse MAF chips to get their car running properly. Vitesse could stand to make a few bucks and get a nice chuckle as well. If the people just throw in the towel because they’re completely frustrated I can pick up the “barely used” boxes on e-bay for a fraction of what I would have paid new so I can put it on another car instead of having to switch boxes. Personally I would love to see this as well as be able to reply to the “ Help my car runs like dog **** with the SMT-6 and universal MAF” threads.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:24 PM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

The guy offered a well needed part to other rennlisters, and he gets completely flamed for it even though he was planning to follow the rennlist group buy policy? Is it me or is something wrong here?

Honestly guys, do you guys ever get laid? Cause you guys got alot of built up anger towards everyone.

Either you guys want it, or you don't, thats it. Yes or no.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:28 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by v944god
Honestly guys, do you guys ever get laid?

Actually two days ago. Should I put you on e-mail alert in the future?

Old 05-23-2005, 03:32 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by v944god
The guy offered a well needed part to other rennlisters, and he gets completely flamed for it even though he was planning to follow the rennlist group buy policy? Is it me or is something wrong here?

Honestly guys, do you guys ever get laid? Cause you guys got alot of built up anger towards everyone.

Either you guys want it, or you don't, thats it. Yes or no.
Amaf, you shock me with your awesome and unprecedented wisdom . Indeed you are a good candidate for the A-C award.

Hey btw are you still selling the st kit?
Old 05-23-2005, 03:36 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Can we close this thread now?
Old 05-23-2005, 03:36 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by streckfu's951
Actually two days ago. Should I put you on e-mail alert in the future?

Damn I need a new keyboard because of you, I spilled my coffee all over my keyboard and desk.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:35 PM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lart, kit just got sold. Your a good guy but you've got some problems.

But ya, if you can put me on the email list i'd appreciate it.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:17 PM
aixgelo78
Instructor

wow, this thread went crazy, you old listers got a lot of bite in ya...jk(that was a compliment)

lets leave this thread alone until things get striaghtened out

regards chris

so...chris white, what do you have in that s4? does a DUH front mount spark any interest to you? we can make a deal with the other 3 shocks for the suspension
Old 05-24-2005, 02:37 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a note, i looked into the SMT6 a while ago. I found the authorised PP dealer here, locally. Quoted me US$597.38 to be exact, but the dealer was "hesitating" since they never installed it on a Porsche, even though there are wiring diagrams from PP for the 951. This, "hesitation" of his worried me, so much for local dealer support.

IF i were to ever go for the SMT6, i would go for Vitesse. Heck, US$50 extra for support and for someone who works and specializes in the 951 is all the assuring i need.

PS: I am NOT posting this to "kiss-***" to anyone here, this is my view.

Quick Reply: would anyone be interested in a piggy back group buy?