Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Have no fear: PRO-M MAFs are BACK!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 06:14 PM
Professional Mass Air Systems
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tedwright
Sam, thanks for joining up to set things straight!! If you have the time, please go on about the incorrect information in this thread. . . .
Thanks. I am currently reading through this loooong thread and jotting down wrong info. I will post up correct info either tonight or in the morning.
-Sam
Old 07-22-2005, 07:00 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Thanks. I am currently reading through this loooong thread and jotting down wrong info. I will post up correct info either tonight or in the morning.
-Sam"

As you already know there is strong interest in what you folks do, so clearing up misinformation would be very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to do so.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:26 PM
Professional Mass Air Systems
4th Gear

Sorry it took a bit to get back to this thread. Things have been a bit hectic around here lately. I'll answer the questions going by post number.

First, just to clear some things up, there are alot of stories about what happened to the former company and how we came into existance. When Best Products went out of business, a couple of the former engineers bought one of the flow benches and contacted my business partners and I, and expressed interest in starting a new business, and thus was the birth of Professional Mass Air Systems. Eventually, we were able to purchase the assets of Best Products, which allowed us to continue selling the patented products such as the Pro-M 80mm, etc. But i just want to emphasize that we are NOT Best Products (Pro-M was just a product line, not the name of the company), or any kind of restructured or renamed version of that company.

On to the important stuff:

Post 26:
"So...the new company is going to sell outright to individuals and snub all the vendors who have been buying their products? The MAF alone does nothing for you without proper chips as questioned by someone earlier."
We don't deal direct to the public for the sale of new meters. We already have a list of wholesale distributors who sell our line. However, for recalibrations and things of that nature, the customers can come directly to us.

Post 29:
"A few guys local to me are setting up a performance shop (SRV Performance) with the specific intent to produce tuned chips & trick piggybacks for RX7s, Talons/Eclipses, and 951s. With Pro-M's impending return to the market it made sense to include that in the product lineup and since the SRV guys personally know the Pro-M guys, a dealer agreement was instantly approved."
We've never met anyone from SRV Performance, and had actually never heard of them until we heard about this thread, which is when we did some checking around. They know the guys from Anti-Lag Racing, which is one of our distributors, and the place SRV was actually going to be getting all of their product from.

Post 38:
"what use is a big 80mm MAF if it is calabrated to the stock AFM. It will max out well below 300rwhp just like the stock unit right?"
Yes, a stock cal will peg exactly where the stock MAF pegs.

Post 45:
"You need a Pro-M MAF and the vane-air translator box.... You need a Pro-M MAF, vane air translator, the Pro-M tuner box, and your choice of aftermarket injectors....You need a Pro-M MAF, vane air translator, and your choice of aftermarket injectors."
No such thing as a Vane Air Translator box. The vane air kits consist of a meter, temp sensor, and maf tuner.

Post 56:
"I assume that the translator would have
been built into the MAFtuner."
it is.

Post 59:
"how much will they reprogram an existing MAF for?"
$100 + shipping back to you.

Post 82:
"What is the flow of the 80mm MAF at >4.9Volts, is it 850 Kg/hr? The conversion I have is 1CFM=2Kg/hr. I am calculating that at 425CFM (850Kg/hr), the BHP should be around 325."
We can make the MAF output almost any flow @ 4.9 volts... 4000kg/hr... etc.

Post 101:
"That said, we then spent three hours on the phone last night screaming at Pro-M that we need another solution. They didn't believe us so we sent them the pictures I've posted above. After some talking and idea hashing, we asked our Pro-M rep about a completely different MAF they currently sell for another car. Could it be recalibrated for a 951? Would it work properly in the location we suggested? And most importantly, when could we have one to test?
'I don't see why not', 'probably', and 'as soon as my boss gets back in town' were the answers. We think the 944 community will be pleasantly surprised once you see this solution but once again a group buy is on hold until we have the test product in hand."
I have no idea where this came from. We never talked to SRV Performance. Not once. So there was no 'screaming' on the phone demanding anything, because as i mentioned earlier in this thread, SRV was not one of our distributors. They were going through one of our authorized distributors to get product. Also, one important thing to mention: our employees here don't answer the phone... ever. Every time someone calls us, they're talking to an owner. Having said that, there was never, and will never be a time when someone gets the answer of "when my boss gets back into town," because you'd have been talking to one of the 'bosses' if you had actually called us.

Post 127:
"This is a transient rich condition that will occur anytime you abruptly let off the gas (causing the blow off valve to open). Doing this will result in fireballs out of the exhaust during high RPM aggressive shifting. The air circulates in a closed loop (turbo-intercooler-BOV-turbo .. ). This air is measured as being ingested by the engine, while in reality it is not. This results in too much fuel being injected. This issue is transient and can not be massaged out by changing table values.

The location of the MAF sensor in the SRV design, will have large problems with a blown BOV or one that opens during part throttle (dependant on BOV design). In this condition large amounts of unmetered air will be available to the engine, resulting in a lean condition. This is also a condition that you would not want to try to tune out."
Exactly right!

Post 135:
" But, I thought I'd share some news with everyone as a result of my experience. This post really relates to what Pro-m is "currently" not doing when shipping new MAFs. And this is from what I just experienced as of a few days ago too. As of right now, Pro-m is "not" shipping any data or spec sheets with their MAFs. They used too with every new unit, but aren't doing it as of right now. For me, I wanted a new hotwire that was calibrated more than the #30, so my unit could flow a little more. Well, I was about to place the order, but, wanted to see the sheet that would show the calibration and it's voltage. And guess what? Pro-m will not give me one. No reason as to why too. Hence, I wasn't about to blindly trust them and buy the piece for my newly built 3.0L 8V. So, I didn't order it. I have "heard" though that in the future they are going to supply each customer with this information. I hope so, for I want a new hotwire/MAF myself! "
Just to reiterate, we are not Pro-M. Second, every meter that leaves our door includes a flow sheet.

There was alot of reading to do in this thread, so if i accidentally missed anything, feel free to post, PM or Email me!

-Sam

Last edited by Professional Mass Air Systems; 07-28-2005 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:16 PM
ewainwright
Racer

Bump
Old 08-03-2005, 02:22 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recalibration Sheet

To All:

I just called Professional Mass Air Systems regarding their recalibration sheet posted on their web. I spoke to a very nice gentleman (didn't get his name, sorry) who's the "944T" guy for a while. The sheet posted is a temporary one and needs to be updated to include Porsche cars, not just the Ford ones. If you send this sheet in, you need to write down somewhere that you have a 944T, and what your projected "max" BHP (flywheel) will be. They need this number for their calculations.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share this with everyone.

Old 08-03-2005, 11:53 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Is this a suitable replacement for my Huntley MAF kit? I just got my car running and am already aggravated by the ARC2 and the Ford meter crap!

Quick Reply: Have no fear: PRO-M MAFs are BACK!