Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Have no fear: PRO-M MAFs are BACK!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 12:21 PM
SRV Performance
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WE'RE ON THE AIR. Kinda. We cranked the new site out pretty fast so if there are typos (which I can bet there are) please PM us. Thanks.

And we're still waiting on a reply to site sponsorship. *nudge nudge*

J Chen - we have a few ideas for fitment.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:37 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SRV Performance: So, when the "j-pipe" is ready, prices would increase/decrease/stay the same?

How about the chips?
Old 05-25-2005, 01:29 PM
SRV Performance
Track Day

By adding an intake pipe or chips we're increasing our base cost and as such there will an increased price for the customers. That said, however, prices will be more than reasonable and will reflect the research, materials, & time put into them.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:46 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SRV Performance
I'm waiting on an answer from Pro-M, but what would it matter if the DME stops listening past 4.6v?
That is the last entry in the calibration sheet that Pro M supplies with the product. The voltage going to the DME from the Pro-M will be scaled to tweek the desired Air/ Fuel ratio so 4.9 might be 4.6 to the DME.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:05 AM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

SRV answer-man,

1) How long will the introductory/group-buy price be good?
2) What kind of widebands will you be selling? Any idea of pricing or how soon?
3) Is it possible to run the basic ($450) set up with aftermarket chips and other minimal mods without fear of running lean and doing damage? In other words, if my current set up is running well with the stock AFM, then can I just add your basic kit for now without the need for wideband and fuel control, etc?

Thanks---
Old 05-26-2005, 03:21 AM
J Chen
Drifting

That's a risk that you're taking Suerloaf, besides if the
MAF is calibrated for your present set-up, future turbo
upgrade will require that the MAF be recalibrated.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:36 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

what type of payments do you take?money orders?paypal?btw,how long will the special price last?
Old 05-26-2005, 03:55 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jay: I was under the impression that once the MAF is calibrated to the 951 (0-5v, 0.7v on idle etc) that you dont need re-calibration when you add a bigger turbo, injectors, p&p head etc. Isn't that where the "tuning" come in? unless you have MAF chips?
Old 05-26-2005, 04:43 AM
J Chen
Drifting

Yes Hos that's where tuning comes in but the ideal
is not to message the signal at all. That's why Vitesse
always stresses that the smt6 is only used for fine
tuning. Why because when you message the signal
too much you compromise the timing.
The other option is to have custom chip which means
you have to log the data & have a chip map for it like
what I'm doing now.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:13 AM
SRV Performance
Track Day

** UPDATE **

Our apologies on being absent from the board. There's been a lot of activity offline and we've been focused on that. Included in that was a request from RolexNJ for a custom-tuned 80mm MAF and after several delays on shipping he will finally have the MAF tomorrow.

Jennifer did reply to us yesterday and we're going to get the sponsorship rolling as soon as possible; this was one of two stumbling blocks.

Second stumbling block is physically fitting the Pro-M 80mm MAF under the hood. We have a few tricks still left to try but we're running into the same issues Lindsey (and others) have faced: if you want the airfilter tucked behind the headlight you're going to have to remove both the headlight arm as well as the coolant overflow tank.

Our objective is to provide a simple to install kit that any stock 944 Turbo owner can install with minimal work and minimal expense. Unfortunately, the 80mm fights this at every corner. Why? Well until you see one in person you can't get an idea of how overly huge it really is.

First, the MAF's body isn't 80mm. (as a size reference, 80mm is the same size as the stock AFM outlet) The MAF's *inner diameter* is 80mm. The outlet of the 80mm MAF is in fact 3-1/2 inches.

Second, the airfilter is part of the MAF. It's not a seperate piece that we can trade out for something slightly different; the airfilter was designed specifically for the MAF or the MAF was designed for the airfilter, one of the two.

Thirdly, the airfilter has a 5-1/2 inch inner diameter and nearly 6-1/4 inch outside diameter, making it ungodly large. Even after hours of fiddling around, the airfilter & MAF housing rubs on the timing belt cover, the hard coolant lines, the hood latch, AND the hood.

Last edited by SRV Performance; 06-08-2005 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:17 AM
SRV Performance
Track Day

That said, we then spent three hours on the phone last night screaming at Pro-M that we need another solution. They didn't believe us so we sent them the pictures I've posted above. After some talking and idea hashing, we asked our Pro-M rep about a completely different MAF they currently sell for another car. Could it be recalibrated for a 951? Would it work properly in the location we suggested? And most importantly, when could we have one to test?

'I don't see why not', 'probably', and 'as soon as my boss gets back in town' were the answers. We think the 944 community will be pleasantly surprised once you see this solution but once again a group buy is on hold until we have the test product in hand.

So all in all, our previously planned timeframe of selling a ready-to-go MAF kit two weeks ago has been thrown completely out the window. However, if anyone wants an 80mm MAF kit they are available for IMMEDIATE DELIVERY so long as you are aware of what's involved with installation.

To the 944 community: our apologies once again.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:46 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SRV Performance:

If it did ship and I receive it tomorrow, I will be indebted to you. I will keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for the heads-up.

Old 06-08-2005, 12:12 PM
J Chen
Drifting

Just as I thought. Mounting an 80mm MAF would be a real PITA.
Great efford anyway SRV. Hmmm, how about mounting a hood
scoop above the filter !!!!!!!!!
Old 06-08-2005, 12:24 PM
SRV Performance
Track Day

J Chen - you read my mind. If I had some ballsy 72-trim Garrett T4 strapped to a 3.x liter I think I could find it in me to cut my hood and mount the air filter externally. This of course would be immediately followed by installing a two foot long sticker on both front quarterpanels reading:

"Go ahead, try me."

But as it sits I have a 2.5 liter with a not-so-beefy K26/6. It's not exactly fear-inspiring.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:30 PM
SRV Performance
Track Day

NOTE:
We should point out that installing the 80mm MAF in the stock AFM location does look doable but let us explain what's involved:

There *should* be enough room to close the hood if you remove the hard coolant lines directly behind the radiator. In our top-most picture posted previously, we're talking about the black colored hard lines with the AFM support brackets welded to them. With those replaced by rubber coolant lines, the MAF could sit a full inch lower if not more and allow the hood to close without any issues.

However that doesn't make this a very user-friendly & easy bolt-on kind of modification, but it *should* work.

Quick Reply: Have no fear: PRO-M MAFs are BACK!