Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Huge turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 12:06 PM
Helstrm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay another ignorant question.. In choosing my wastegate. I am thinking that I should get a wastegate setup with 15psi springs. Then use a manual boost controller to dial up to 18 psi at max rpm??? Is this correct or am I way off?
Old 03-25-2005, 12:21 PM
special tool
Banned

That is what I have.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:35 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay another ignorant question.. In choosing my wastegate. I am thinking that I should get a wastegate setup with with 15psi springs. Then use a manual boost controller to dial up to 18 psi at max rpm??? Is this correct or am I way off?

There is only one problem with that you can't run less than 15psi.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:44 PM
special tool
Banned

Well, I can get it down to 13.5, but you have to open your controller all the way.
The diaphragm will help you. No signal at all = 15 psi.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:49 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
no harm. Just stop comparing them to everything and try and pick apart stuff. Because I want to ask you detailed questions and can't because you dont know much lingo.
I never compared them to start with
Old 03-25-2005, 01:20 PM
Helstrm
Pro

Originally Posted by pk951
Okay another ignorant question.. In choosing my wastegate. I am thinking that I should get a wastegate setup with with 15psi springs. Then use a manual boost controller to dial up to 18 psi at max rpm??? Is this correct or am I way off?

There is only one problem with that you can't run less than 15psi.
Why would I want to run less than 15psi when my goal is 18psi? And my chip is setup for 15psi
Old 03-25-2005, 02:58 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Helstrm
Okay another ignorant question.. In choosing my wastegate. I am thinking that I should get a wastegate setup with 15psi springs. Then use a manual boost controller to dial up to 18 psi at max rpm??? Is this correct or am I way off?
I have the 1 bar spring also.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:00 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Originally Posted by Helstrm
Why would I want to run less than 15psi when my goal is 18psi? And my chip is setup for 15psi
Ha! I have the reason why. And I think thisis the only reason... I have a standalone and tuning the spool up means I have to feather the throttle to maintain less than 1 bar. If I have a sprinf of say 5psi, then I could be foot flat and increase boost via the controller to tune and change increments. Thats it though, and its no big deal.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:09 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Hey Porschhh951,
Why is it that nobody here is allowed to dare challenge your take on some of the Jap cars (that's not to say they're not great cars; I own one myself)?
I for one think there are some exagerated claims flying around. (Read: still very fast cars; just exagerated).
You seem to go to great lengths to make sure that everybody shares your view that they should be put on the highest podium, when in fact they're often not put in proper apples to apples comparison.

Sorry Hesltrm
Old 03-25-2005, 08:46 PM
DivineE
Racer

Just to back track a little on this topic (because I'v not been online and missed all the flamming) I will definately never use info I'v been told without seeing it for myself anymore! I think I'v learnt that one the hard way, but some of you guys have gone way too far the other way!! I have probably spent a damn sight more time arround quick Jap cars than 90% of the people on this forum because of the people I know and drive with I'm the only one without a Jap car! I personally know the owners of and have driven against Nissan GTi-R's, Skylines, 300zx's, Mr2's aswell and civics and the rest of them. I may not know all the technical facts but I do know what these cars are like on the road!

Using my personal experience (and believe me I wish I had a video so I could laugh louder) some of your comments about these cars being untouchable because of there fancy engines are just plain wrong! (I'm sorry to take the aggressive approach but it WAS prevoked) I have driven with my friends 300zx which I watched dyno at 400hp at the flywheel with its 24v quad cam V6 twin turbo! and there was about 3mph seperating us in a run from 30-145mph against my standard 944 turbo! You can dispute this all day in your ignorance if you wish but a fact will remain a fact!

Now if you want to argue that a modified Mr2 turbo or Sunny GTi-R is fast then I'm right behind you, and I agree nothing in the world touches a Skyline off the mark! But why don't you fellows go and put a stock 944 turbo against a stock R33 GTR and tell me who's ahead when you are reaching for fourth gear?? Then we can continue this discussion

p.s. sorry this thread became a slaughter house! I did start out with good intentions with my post!

Ben
Old 03-25-2005, 09:03 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Well I am in a market with 90% jap cars... and drag against them on the track. So here is my 2 cents. The 300ZX is heavy and slow and will do 15's stock and mid 14's reasonably modded. They have tall gears in 3rd and 4th and off the line are useless. The EVO is equal to the task off the line with the GTR. I have dragged a GTR on the track, 300ZX, turbo charged Hondas, EVO's, MR2's, Silvias, VR4's. I am well aware of what these cars can do!
Old 03-26-2005, 04:05 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DivineE
But why don't you fellows go and put a stock 944 turbo against a stock R33 GTR and tell me who's ahead when you are reaching for fourth gear?? Then we can continue this discussion
Ben
Oh....my god

lol. Maybe I should get danny to run my friends r33. Film it and post it up. Thats just amazing.

and turbo tommy no one has to share my view point at all but, when someone posts fasle information ....its false regardless of where its coming from.

I guess i need to go find some factory spec sheets for a r33GTR if you think a stock 951 can beat one. Thats crazy talk.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:23 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
Oh....my god

lol. Maybe I should get danny to run my friends r33. Film it and post it up. Thats just amazing.

and turbo tommy no one has to share my view point at all but, when someone posts fasle information ....its false regardless of where its coming from.

I guess i need to go find some factory spec sheets for a r33GTR if you think a stock 951 can beat one. Thats crazy talk.
Portly ,
Can you please post your uncorrected dyno chart from your sig because I would like to amuse myself.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:31 AM
DivineE
Racer

Nz yes sorry I did forget the evo.

Porshhhh951 perhaps you should try a race, I think you'll be pleased with the results and I'll predict it now for you: The 944 fill be level with but traveling faster than the skyline by the end of second and slowly edge away throughout third.

I have been there!

Ben
Old 03-26-2005, 06:40 AM
DivineE
Racer

Oh and the argument about how fast 700hp Skylines and Supras are when they're built by tuning companies!!! Really? You think so. If you spend the money and time that went into their production on any car it would be fast! Here we are comparing the cars on the road that people own and drive! My Jive is with the thousands of people who own jap cars and think because its got a huge bolt on turbo and a blow off valve they can claim 500+hp and run 10secs 1/4 mile. Then are nastily dissapointed when someone does the same work on a 944 (but properly) and its faster! We are getting distracted here. Me included! But thats what my original post was getting at! Not a 944 vs the world post!

Ben

Quick Reply: Huge turbo