Dumb quest,/ Newb anti flammage thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 07:02 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dumb quest,/ Newb anti flammage thread

This is a public service thread. If you, like me, have questions, about things that you really don't understand about our cars, but you are afraid to ask them for fear of being napalmed with retard comments, etc. then this is the thread for you. PM me with your questions confidentially, and I will ask the questions to the board while hiding in my napalm proof bunker of made of "I don;t give a crap" thermo wrapping.
Examples would include definitions of common terms like FQS, or AFR, or "Under the curve" or "wideband" etc.
If you don't know for sure, and want a definition, without the newb tard flame propogation, here's your chance.
Those who answer, thank you for the answer, and feel free to flame after supplying said answer. I am wearing an asbestos thong, so all of my brain is protected from you. So ask away, publicly, or privately. We Marines can take the heat!
Old 03-01-2005, 07:09 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Great initiative, great idea.
The only dumb question is the one that someone does NOT ask... Not asking a question is bad, not knowing the answer and wanting to learn is not.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:10 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

First question...What does it mean/what actually is the process of..."flashing" chips? My question
Old 03-01-2005, 07:19 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ehall, Good idea.
I hope you know I was joking in my injector thread.
Evil
Old 03-01-2005, 07:21 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How do I turbo my n/a?
Old 03-01-2005, 07:23 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
First question...What does it mean/what actually is the process of..."flashing" chips? My question
Two ways really. First up is EEPROM chips, which stands for "Electrically Erasible Programmable Read-Only Memory". This means that the data stored on the chip can be erased with a higher voltage signal and the chip reprogrammed (flashed I guess you could say). Once the data is on there, the chip is a ROM, Read-Only Memory, so it wont loose the data if power is turned off (such as the RAM in your computer), nor can it be written to without the programming stuff.

The old school method was EPROM, same as above but without the Electrically part. These are the chips youll sometimes see that have a clear window in the top. With these, a bright flash of light (or a few minutes of it maybe) would clear the data off (IIRC it was Ultra Violet light usually).
Old 03-01-2005, 07:26 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nobody ever got flamed here for asking an honest question. People get flamed when they're talking nonsense or BS.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:35 PM
special tool
Banned

That's right
Old 03-01-2005, 07:38 PM
pieball
Racer

...or not using the search button like everyone else.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:45 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

"Nobody ever got flamed here for asking an honest question. People get flamed when they're talking nonsense or BS."

That idea is really more for the guys who do post a bit, but have been around long enough that they might feel embarrassed asking a question that others might expect them to know. Ther are some that know some things real well, but don't have the hands on experience, and this might give them a chance to once and for all get the real scoop form guys who've been there and done that. Like I said. this is for pretty much anyone and everyone to get out the questions that might seem a bit "nobrainer" to some of you guys.
Evil I knew you were kidding. No sweat on that.
Jeff, I can answer yours....CASH!!!!
Thanks for the chip question. Cool.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:07 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Why does a turbo charged engine require less compression than a normally aspirated engine?
Old 03-01-2005, 09:00 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

A flash memory chip is a type of memory Integrated Circuit (IC) that can be erased and new information stored on the chip without have to remove the IC. The term flashing is a slang meaning to change the stored data inside a flash memory IC.

Older style ICs called EPROM (used in the 944 DME and KLR) had a small window on top of the IC. If you look into the window, you can see the die with the wire bonds going out to the legs of the IC. If the IC is exposed to Ultra Violet light, it erases (removes) the stored charge that determines if a bit is on or off. The next step after erasing the IC is to program that IC using a commercial programmer, which once again sets each bit on or off. This is why labels are on the DME/KLR ICs, to prevent light getting on the die inside the IC.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:14 PM
RogueM3
Pro

I have been wondering for awhile what FQS stands for....

Also,
What is "swain" coating and how is it better than "jet-hot" coatings? (I read this in another thread..I know what Jet Hot is but what makes swain better)

Thanks..I know I will have more..great idea.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:51 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Turbocharged engines require lower compression ratios due to the boost - here's a simple example: You have an engine running 8.0:1 compression and add a turbocharger that boosts 14.7 psi (actually 1 "bar", commonly referenced is slightly less, 14.5 psi, but that's another issue). Under normal, un-boosted conditions, the cylinder at TDC has compressed the fuel / air mixture in the cylinder by a factor of eight (roughly 117.6 psi). Now boost it. You compress the air-fuel mixture by the same 8.0:1 HOWEVER there's now twice as much of it. This means you have an EFFECTIVE compression ratio of double your original 117.6 psi, or 235.2 psi. This is the actual pressure being built up inside the cylinder. The more pressure you have inside the cylinder, the higher the temperature and the higher the likelihood of compressive heating resulting in the fuel-air mixture exploding prematurely. This is detonation or "pre-ignition" and can destroy the cylinder and piston (and valves) in very short order. Others feel free to add to this.

FQS = Fuel Quality Selector. These cars are equipped with a "selector switch" enabling tuners / mechanics to compensate for different fuel qualities in different parts of the world. They have presets, each one with a slight modification from the "standard" fuel quantity (i.e. how long the injector stays "open") and timing values. I believe on FR Wilk's site there is a rather good description of these along with tables for the various channels / presets and what they do (e.g. setting #1 = standard, setting #2 = increase fuel by 1% and advance timing 2 degrees, etc.) Messing with it is not recommended however.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:30 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

This is a public service thread. If you, like me, have questions, about things that you really don't understand about our cars, but you are afraid to ask them for fear of being napalmed with retard comments, etc. then this is the thread for you. PM me with your questions confidentially, and I will ask the questions to the board while hiding in my napalm proof bunker of made of "I don;t give a crap" thermo wrapping.
Examples would include definitions of common terms like FQS, or AFR, or "Under the curve" or "wideband" etc.
If you don't know for sure, and want a definition, without the newb tard flame propogation, here's your chance.
Those who answer, thank you for the answer, and feel free to flame after supplying said answer. I am wearing an asbestos thong, so all of my brain is protected from you. So ask away, publicly, or privately. We Marines can take the heat!
If the 'list has degraded this far, it's a sad state of affairs. Rennlist exists for questions/answers.

Quick Reply: Dumb quest,/ Newb anti flammage thread